Country Security Manager, Iraq (A leading energy firm)
Location: EMEA-Basra, Iraq
*** Please note this role is anticipated to start 1st January 2011 ***
Supporting a diverse and dispersed business located in Iraq, this role is required to oversee the continued implementation and embedding of a robust and effective Country Security Plan, Crisis Management Plan and Emergency Response and Evacuation Plans. This position will also oversee and ensure operational effectiveness of the third party security provider supporting interests in Iraq.
The Iraq Security Manager must operate in a largely matrix organizational environment “operationally” reporting to the Iraq Leadership and Business Management Team and “functionally” to the Regional Security Director. The Security Manager will be the primary focal point for advice on security and risk management matters across all business & operating activities in Iraq.
The position provides a comprehensive service that identifies risks, evaluates current and future threats, conducts security surveys and performs high level comprehensive investigations. The incumbent will assist the business in the delivery of security awareness programs and will make recommendations on security strategies to the Iraq Leadership Team and to the Regional Security Director.
The post is accountable for enabling the business and ensuring all security factors are properly communicated and used by leadership when making operational and strategic decisions across Iraq. This includes developing appropriate and influential relationships with the Product Line, Country management teams, and facilities site security personnel in the area. The post holder is responsible for maintaining security programs and ensuring consistency and operational effectiveness of the security teams throughout the area of operation.
The principal role of the Security Manager is to advise businesses on the management of security in line with the wider Corporate Security Guidelines and Policy and to assist them in their regular assessment and effective management of security exposures. The role covers the following areas:
- Risk Assessment Activities and Security Programs
- Analytical Activities
- Security Awareness & Training Activities
- Crisis Management & Emergency Response Activities
- Executive Protection Activities
- Developing Internal and External Relationships
- Obtain appropriate knowledge of business operations to ensure “fit for purpose” security measures are in place to protect the liabilities and interest of the company.
- Identify and develop a suitable local candidate to assume the position of Security Manager Iraq at the end of this contract.
- Member of the First Responder Team
- Liaise with Facility HS&E Specialists and Safety Facilitators to assist with HS&E strategy.
- Conduct security vulnerability assessments, surveys and other security assessments to measure and develop risk profiles of facilities and operations within the businesses supported. Implement security measures to manage and mitigate security exposures and risks.
- Design, implement and assist in managing site security programs within Iraq to ensure the quality, levels and standards of the services are appropriate to the risk and environment.
- Maintain continual contact with the business leadership to proactively monitor changes in business practices that have a potentially adverse effect on their risk/threat profiles.
- Ensure corporate security programs and asset protection levels remain aligned to manage the threat and support their business goals.
- Provide security assurance to Country/Area management and the Regional Security Director, by reporting and tracking incidents through the corporate incident reporting system, providing risk mitigation measures and incident management procedures.
- Develop annual security plans, metrics, scorecards, and present relevant information to region and country management at their quarterly business reviews, or as requested. Include budget
- Manage, coordinate and supervise the third party security providers’ function and responsibility to company employees and interests.
- Share and promote the Corporate Security guidelines policy and organizational philosophy.
- 10 years’ experience in security.
- Minimum 2 years operational experience in Iraq is essential.
- Arabic and English speaking are essential, along with excellent written English.
- Excellent knowledge of oil and gas industry.
- Excellent knowledge of tribal and Provincial Leader sensitivities.
- Ability to liaise and build “hearts and minds” with local communities.
- Experience with crisis/emergency response management.
- Liaison experience with local, national, state and local law enforcement, government regulatory agencies and private industrial security.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop and enhance security programs.
- Effective influencing, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to communicate complex and sensitive situations to various levels of the organization and external environments.
- Ability to exercise effective independent judgment and take appropriate action.
- Effective written and oral communicator
- Demonstrated ability in conflict resolution and consensus building
- Team builder
- Effective at developing internal and external alliances to fulfill security mission
- Demonstrated business acumen and ability to learn and understand the business.