Welcome to the new Driver forum.

Covert Munkey

Administrator
Good evening folks,

After receiving various requests for a new Professional driver forum it was decided we would create one.

I hope you enjoy the forum and it becomes popular.

Regards,

Covert Munkey

How do I apply for a disabled badge and a reserved space on this section.
Should be fun, me thinks. lets start precedings off then.

1)Whats the worst crash you've had ?

2)Traffic cops opening gambits.
i.e. ''right out of the car Stirling Moss.'' (for the older crowd)

When one of Shropshire's finest pulled me over for speeding on my blade, said to oi Carl Foggerty, did you know were doing 85 when i clocked you. Please do not say ( realy and i was only in 2nd gear):eek: coz if you have a copper who does not have a sense of humor then you fcukd. lucky for me he had a sense of humor. But i learned a valued lesson keep ya trap shut when he is just telling you off. :D

Great news on the Driver forum, i think it will help potential interest from individuals who are interested in becoming a trained security driver

I agree, driver training needs to be looked into, good to see a forum for drivers.

Alan

Looked into ! :eek:

Driver training needs to be insisted on, and pressure should be put on the SIA to introduce it as a major part of the course.
2943 road deaths last year tells you why.
It should be a minimum of Rospa Silver or IAM standards.
And Chauffeuring companies should be made to reach this level as well.
It is beyond belief that one of the largest killers in the UK is not seen as a threat that should be addressed at the out set of training.
The insurance companies should be insisting on it as well.
It just beggars belief.

I think this section is going to be extremely valuable..

Thanks to the admin/moderators for opening it up.

I hope to assist where I can and will have a think of some good topics for discussion.

Regards,
Gary

Police Advanced Driver
TPAC Tactical Pursuit Adviser
IAM & RoSPA Advanced/Defensive driving Examiner

I'm thinking of improving my driving and was thinking of doing either the RoSPA or IAM course. Do the experts on here have any preference which would be better between the two, or are there more courses available with a recognised qualification that I may not have heard of?

The only problems I can forsee is the time to do them.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Kelv.

How do I apply for a disabled badge and a reserved space on this section.
Should be fun, me thinks. lets start precedings off then.

1)Whats the worst crash you've had ?

2)Traffic cops opening gambits.
i.e. ''right out of the car Stirling Moss.'' (for the older crowd)

Nice one OJ...we need someone from Erinys 03/04/05 circa [south Rumallah] on here to talk about crashes... :(

Hey Gary did you only get a 2 then? ;)

In my experience Advanced Drivers say either, '' I'm a Class 1'' or ''I'm an Advanced Driver'' meaning they only got a 2. :)

Rapier,

When I did the course at No.6 Driving School at Devizes in '97 a Police Advanced Driver was just that. The 'Class 1' bit was an old way of categorizing it. You're either a Standard Driver or an Advanced Driver as there isn't a 'Class 2'. Has that now changed back again?

Rich H

Hey Gary did you only get a 2 then? ;)

In my experience Advanced Drivers say either, '' I'm a Class 1'' or ''I'm an Advanced Driver'' meaning they only got a 2. :)

You're right that's what you normally hear...:D, depending of course when they took their test. However, Rich is correct. 1s and 2s are now defunct.

In my case, I passed my Police Advanced Driving course in January 2005, where your test result was either a pass or fail. 'Classes 1 or 2' ended I think in 2003, I think.

Where you aware of that?

After passing my advanced test, I went onto a normal traffic patrol unit for 2 years. Then I joined the pro-active section of traffic, called the Road Crime Team. We are responsible for the targeting of organised crime gangs, car thieves, etc... so get to use our driving skills in Mitsubishi Evos, Subarus etc...

Last edited:
I am a class 1! lol

I took my test with Lancashire Constabulary in 2007.

The system they have is as follows:

Police Officers: Class 1 Pass or FAIL
Other Agencies (Military, Fire, Ambulance, MI5 etc): Class 1 Pass, Class 2 Pass or FAIL.

I had to get a Class 1 pass or I wouldnt have been able to continue my role in the RMP.

I'm thinking of improving my driving and was thinking of doing either the RoSPA or IAM course. Do the experts on here have any preference which would be better between the two, or are there more courses available with a recognised qualification that I may not have heard of?

Kelv, I would recommend the IAM course, even though i'd been driving for over 20 years including heavies, I learned at lot, got rid of bad habits, and have made some savings in my motoring cost also have started to undergo observer training so that I can sit in with new candidates who want to learn the system and eventually go through their test. I was tested by a current traffic Sgt, which I knew would be hard but I passed without any problems.
I just wish that this was the basic standard for all drivers and not the current DSA test.
Intrinsic

Sorry Rich, I'm old. Been a Class 1 since 1977. Hendon, though, a proper driving school. :)

Class 1's could drive for the Sweeney. Class 2's couldn't. ;)

Rapier,

When I did the course at No.6 Driving School at Devizes in '97 a Police Advanced Driver was just that. The 'Class 1' bit was an old way of categorizing it. You're either a Standard Driver or an Advanced Driver as there isn't a 'Class 2'. Has that now changed back again?

Rich H
Hi Rich, I did the course in 2003, you are still correct,(at that time anyway), either a standard (which is still an excellent qual) or advanced driver.

Back