Met Police officer shoots himself in the leg

You would hope that his finger was nowhere near the trigger, so perhaps some part of his clothing or the lanyard got caught in the trigger guard.

That would not be unheard of but very unlikely to operate the trigger mechanism!.
At the end of the day the UK POLICE are among the best most well trained officers
And safety is a lot higher on the agenda in UK firearms police training than in other countries
Especially with regard to officer safety and the public safety but
"Shit happens" and know one got "seriously" hurt hoping the officer recovers soon because he'll never live it down! :)

can i just add,this has happened before on duty,an officers toggle on his outer jacket in the split second he holstered got caught in the holster and he ud'd into his leg,his finger never went anywhere near the trigger

can i just add,this has happened before on duty,an officers toggle on his outer jacket in the split second he holstered got caught in the holster and he ud'd into his leg,his finger never went anywhere near the trigger

This is why I don't carry a Glock, or any other handgun with a "safe action" safety feature.

Hi Guys,

Give human beings weapons and ammunition, Police, Military or Private Security and sooner or later this will happen. It shouldn't happen, but it will.

No one's said it yet, but I do hope the Officer makes a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to everyone, stay safe..................Nippy

How come we now call car crashes Road Traffic Collisions? Not Accidents.

Yet the Police have kept hold of the wordage for Accidental Discharges? If you are given a gun and proper training, then it is your responsibility to ensure it is used within the rules*, jacket toggles or wiggly woggles are no excuse.

I hope the guy is ok, but the use of the word accidental whether official or not implies that it was unavoidable. That is no more true with guns than it is with cars.

* By rules I mean the universal rules of safe handling, as well as any local or national procedures.

Last edited:
#mud sticks in the police, his colleagues will be taking the micky for years to come, he might get disciplined depending on the circumstances of what happened, the full details we might never find out, but lets remember the only person injured was himself, and I've no doubt it hurt like hell, something he'll never forget and something his colleagues will never forget.

#mud sticks in the police, his colleagues will be taking the micky for years to come, he might get disciplined depending on the circumstances of what happened, the full details we might never find out, but lets remember the only person injured was himself, and I've no doubt it hurt like hell, something he'll never forget and something his colleagues will never forget.

The fact that no-one else was injured is just pure luck. Let me ask you this question; If the exact same set of circumstances took place and, instead of the officer shooting himself, he shot and killed a colleague would we talking about an "accidental" death?

I've only ever heard the plod refer to an ND as an 'accidental discharge', for which the normal procedure appears to be to shrug their collective shoulders and say 'well, what can you do eh?'

That would not be unheard of but very unlikely to operate the trigger mechanism!.
At the end of the day the UK POLICE are among the best most well trained officers
And safety is a lot higher on the agenda in UK firearms police training than in other countries
Especially with regard to officer safety and the public safety but
"Shit happens" and know one got "seriously" hurt hoping the officer recovers soon because he'll never live it down! :)

'UK POLICE are among the best most well trained officers' oh yeah? A little story,

I had the dubious honour of being arrested by a fire-arms unit for reasons I won't go into here, (I did nothing wrong). They came around to my house with the authorisation to kill me. One of them jumped over my garden wall from an adjacent alley-way. His magazine fell off his weapon and the rounds spilled out on the ground. He reloaded the magazine and carried on totally unaware that he had lost some ammo. Many hours later they were still looking for the ammunition with dogs. A few hours later a member of the public handed in the rounds to the local station, well-trained - yeah!!

Another one of them was wearing his military medals on his webbing. I asked if this was official dress as I would be able to possibly id him with research just from dating his medals. The reply I received from their HQ was that in light of my comments they were now allowing them to wear medals and decorations on their dress, (webbing) etc. I pointed out to them that if this unit had become involved in a terrorist incident, involving persons with religious values, the sight of the medals could inflame the situation. What I got back from them was a 'no comment', well-trained - yeah!

This one with the medals was pointing a rifle at my chest and asked me if I was frightened? I replied no, I was ex-forces and used to weapons. I hope I spoiled his day. I pointed out to the IPCC that they should look into the psychological well-being of this person, 'no comment'.

Considering these people have a licence to kill (innocent) people I think from my experiences and that of reading about the people they kill on the street, I certainly have no confidence in them.

Yours, ever so bitterly, (all documented with IPCC)

The fact that no-one else was injured is just pure luck. Let me ask you this question; If the exact same set of circumstances took place and, instead of the officer shooting himself, he shot and killed a colleague would we talking about an "accidental" death?

of course not, but in this case the only person injured was himself.

of course not, but in this case the only person injured was himself.

So, if, under the same set of circumstances he shoots someone else it is not an accident but if he shoots himself it is? Not buying it. I get it, loyalty. But there's loyalty then there's reality

I've only ever heard the plod refer to an ND as an 'accidental discharge', for which the normal procedure appears to be to shrug their collective shoulders and say 'well, what can you do eh?'

UD or unintentional discharge and its far from brushed under the carpet,well in our lot it isnt,retraining and straight on UPP,which is a very severe warning follows

Last edited:
Back