Met Police officer shoots himself in the leg

I am yet to see what state my CRB is in if they bother to reply.
If you have made a SAR or a request to ACRO then they will reply. It is supposed to be 40 day but may take longer and if they are late the ICO will do nothing nor will they take any action if they withhold anything you later find they have kept. I am sure you will not be surprised by that.

However a basic DBS(CRB) does not show arrests. There is an information system known as IMS that maybe runs to 3 pages on you but this would not show up on a basic DBS although may well show would on enhanced vetting.

I have been to interviews for jobs since this episode but have not been offered a job.
I too have recently had to have certain reports removed from records and there are 3 officers that will not be eligible for any kind of advancement for at least 12 months but in view of your last comments about giving first aid then for me you do not deserve an offer of any type of job.

Obviously only you know if that is the real reason you failed.

I suspect there may be others.

Gareth a question........as you seem to be an expert on everything firearms related what is your skill set I'm very intrigued....no porkies please the truth or are you an armchair expert?? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Grrr, OK , I'll bite then.
Haha, oh the irony.
Porkies. Police. Porkies, geddit?
If never having an ND in over 20years of weapon usage, served in 2 armies in a combat role and spent 10 years on the HE circuit in a few hot environments counts as being an expert then you'll have to apply that term to quite a few on this forum, won't you.
An armchair expert is something I aspire to be in the not-too-distant future, Inshallah.
Oh and it's "no finger on the trigger= no bang."
You don't need an expert to tell you that just ask the girl-guides and they will give you that int.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sJrZB4r_Q

Last edited:
Grrr, OK , I'll bite then.
Haha, oh the irony.
Porkies. Police. Porkies, geddit?
If never having an ND in over 20years of weapon usage, served in 2 armies in a combat role and spent 10 years on the HE circuit in a few hot environments counts as being an expert then you'll have to apply that term to quite a few on this forum, won't you.
An armchair expert is something I aspire to be in the not-too-distant future, Inshallah.
Oh and it's "no finger on the trigger= no bang."
You don't need an expert to tell you that just ask the girl-guides and they will give you that int.
How the Glock "safe action system" works - YouTube

Ha ha ha the irony was foreseen!!
And I'm glad you bit....eventually well
You are obviously very experienced and my hat comes of to you!! or you are a really good bullshitter!
Lol.
Thanks for the reply!! Keep posting as they are entertaining!!
:)

We were talking about this on the range yesterday and the Glock 17 gen 4 was examined from every possible angle, the consensus was that with no proper safety the things require a higher level of diligence when carried cocked and chambered. We compared the various semi auto pistols and most people felt that a de-cocking lever and or safety was no bad thing.

Not making excuses for the guy's ND. Just saying that when carrying a weapon you need to be mindful of that weapon's characteristics.

Thanks for the compliment AFOUK.... my bullshitting skills have been honed to perfection(joke)!
Within the next 12mths there'll be a big expose (acute accent needed) on the amount of NDs that have happened by giving HMF the 17 and they should have just stayed with the 226/228 or even the squaddie-proof Browning- this is guaranteed.
My preference has always been the SIG anyday as there's much less that could go wrong.
It's all down to cost over safety while the MOD burn money by the wheelbarrow full on projects that go nowhere.
Serious question for armed plod on here- did you have as many NDs before you were issued the Glock?

Within the next 12mths there'll be a big expose (acute accent needed) on the amount of NDs that have happened by giving HMF the 17 and they should have just stayed with the 226/228 or even the squaddie-proof Browning- this is guaranteed.
My preference has always been the SIG anyday as there's much less that could go wrong.
It's all down to cost over safety while the MOD burn money by the wheelbarrow full on projects that go nowhere.
Serious question for armed plod on here- did you have as many NDs before you were issued the Glock?

You hit a trifecta with this posts. Not only do you show disdain for the police, you apparently dislike the Glock AND the MOD as well. Life is too short for so much anger. BTW, I own a Glock 23 but carry a Colt 45acp Combat Elite. NDs in my department since we went to the Glock 45gap 5 years ago have been zero as far as I know (except for our LT who shot himself in the leg 2 weeks ago during a struggle with a burglar. Not sure if you call that an ND or not)

Why he have the ammo in the gun chamber ?
Maybe no experience handle firearms.
Any way thank God he only shoot in self.

I do like the G17 and carried it, made ready, for 18mths and never ND'd with it.
I'm just not too sure that issuing it as standard is a good idea.
I never saw an ND on the SIG but a comparatively low number of guys used to carry it back in the late 90's whereas now a lot of guys will be carrying the Glock.
As for the MOD?.........

Why he have the ammo in the gun chamber ?
Maybe no experience handle firearms.
Any way thank God he only shoot in self.
Well as you're such an expert you can answer my previous question. Going out to a situation where you need to be armed, at what point do you put the round in the chamber?

......HK- this is not aimed specifically at you as there are probably quite a few who aren't aware at the amount of taxpayers money that the MoD and other ministries have wasted and continue to piss away.
Given how they do like to piss away public money the choice of G over SIG is probably down to a back-hander and not solely based on cost per item (this realisation just came to me BTW).
MPs attack MoD over £8bn weapons project waste | Politics | The Guardian
MOD spends £66 million on consultants as Armed Forces cut - Telegraph
Ministry of Defence wastes £40,000 calling the speaking clock- The Inquirer
Ministry of Defence wastes £500k over-ordering bullets that may never be fired - Mirror Online

You could spend your whole day on gongle looking at how much the DoD/MoD et al waste on their little escapades and misadventures but still they continue.
Ever read "War is a racket" by Maj Gen Smedley Butler?
You'll be able to find it on the web but never, ever in a bookshop.
If you buy it, it will blow the whole game wide open and that is the reason that it's never been a widely publicised or available book.
War Is A Racket
Back to the OP- can you armed coppers let me know if the NDs you had really started en masse with the Glock or if it was also the case before.
This is a serious question and not a piss-take, lads.

Last edited:
I`m not sure there is a need for Armed Police in the UK to carry with a round in the chamber anyway. The chance of an ambush where they have to instantly react is almost non existent, it`s not like they are doing CP in a Hostile Environment having to peel out of the vehicle shooting. Anyone who has been involved in an armed incident knows there is usually a long period of Police standing around scratching heads, report writing, discussion and waiting for orders - plenty of time to cock a weapon! ;)

Sorry mate but I think your post shows a fair degree of naivety when it comes to the role. Cops carry with a round chambered as they may need their weapon at a moments notice. I would agree that the risk is remote but imagine the consequences if those officers involved in the Lee Rigby scenario had been forced to chamber first. Chances are they wouldn't be talking about it today. If you look at ND's in policing circle, nearly all of them have occurred while the officer was unloading the weapon at the conclusion of a deployment.

I`m not sure there is a need for Armed Police in the UK to carry with a round in the chamber anyway. The chance of an ambush where they have to instantly react is almost non existent, it`s not like they are doing CP in a Hostile Environment having to peel out of the vehicle shooting. Anyone who has been involved in an armed incident knows there is usually a long period of Police standing around scratching heads, report writing, discussion and waiting for orders - plenty of time to cock a weapon! ;)

SABRE think first mate before hitting the post button.

What about Royalty and VIP police protection teams, they're not exactly the pre-planned ops you seem to be referring to. I don't know if SO14 or SO1 carry with one up the spowt but I can see why they would need to given the characteristics of the Glock and the operations they conduct.

As for ND's/AD's/UD's whatever you call them it all amounts to the same thing. Police and military have had them for as long as they have used firearms. All it takes is a bad day, stressing about stuff with ones mind not fully on the task in hand, no matter who you are, your level of training and experience it CAN happen to anyone anytime if they're not careful and focused.

It takes a foolish person and to some extent a little arrogance and complacency for someone to think it could never happen to them.

As for the situation with Des all I will say is there are good and bad in all walks of life. I have come across people that should not be carrying a warrant card but that does'nt make all cops bad.

Hi Coops, hope you are well. It was more of a post of jest tbh. Of course I regard the Police highly and can see why certain units would need to be carrying with weapons chambered for immediate action situations.

Rgds
Stuart.

......HK- this is not aimed specifically at you as there are probably quite a few who aren't aware at the amount of taxpayers money that the MoD and other ministries have wasted and continue to piss away.
Given how they do like to piss away public money the choice of G over SIG is probably down to a back-hander and not solely based on cost per item (this realisation just came to me BTW).
MPs attack MoD over £8bn weapons project waste | Politics | The Guardian
MOD spends £66 million on consultants as Armed Forces cut - Telegraph
Ministry of Defence wastes £40,000 calling the speaking clock- The Inquirer
Ministry of Defence wastes £500k over-ordering bullets that may never be fired - Mirror Online

You could spend your whole day on gongle looking at how much the DoD/MoD et al waste on their little escapades and misadventures but still they continue.
Ever read "War is a racket" by Maj Gen Smedley Butler?
You'll be able to find it on the web but never, ever in a bookshop.
If you buy it, it will blow the whole game wide open and that is the reason that it's never been a widely publicised or available book.
War Is A Racket
Back to the OP- can you armed coppers let me know if the NDs you had really started en masse with the Glock or if it was also the case before.
This is a serious question and not a piss-take, lads.

You are surprised? That is government everywhere. We paid 600 million for a health care website that doesn't work, and 5K bucks for a government hammer etc etc etc. When it's our money they are spending they don't give a shit. How many vacations have the obama's taken on our dime? Dozens...some at 5 million a pop.

Yeah I know HK.
It's us and them isn't it?
No wonder the UK plod want water cannons as there will be a revolt sooner or later.

I was looking for the recent plod ND records but could only come up with these pearlers.
Something is definitely wrong in the house of the gun-toting plod and large-scale proper retraining needs to happen.

Kate and William's police guard quizzed in gun drama | UK | News | Daily Express

BBC News | UK | Gun fired on royal train (Managed to ND twice, somehow.)

West Midlands Police officer shot fellow cop in murder investigation - Birmingham Mail
This was due to "mechanical failure" with either the MP or the SIG Sauer- never heard of either HK or SIG having mechanical failures unless the systems weren't correctly maintained by the plod armourer or it was another whitewash to allay public concern in having "highly trained officers" carry weapons (?).

It's also recorded that CO or SO 19 make up 50% of NDs and either have a bit of a problem with keeping their fingers off the trigger or have a lot of mechanical failures too.
If plod is this shite with "things that go bang" imagine how slack they're going to be when they get their water cannons which will be here by the May day riots which will be massive this year IMO.
Couple CS with water cannon and it will spoil your complete day and also spell the end of "Policed by consent!"

Last edited:
Back