Tier 2 medic help plz.

Irishboy

Full Registered User
Hi All.

I've seen on the forum lots of posts for tier 2 medics in the Middle East/Africa however all of them require an armed police or military background.
Unfortunately I don't have this but am more than qualified on the "medic" side of things.
Are there positions that become available without this pre requisite or are there courses that I can consider that may help ie close protection, firearms courses etc?
Please let me just say that I don't mean to cause any offence. I'm not suggesting that completing courses equate to having a military background or similar.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would approach companies that you have already viewed there vacancies and ask them. As you have pointed out most do want ex military its mainly because most have been serving medics etc and have a variety of operational tours under there belt where they have be the medics on the ground dealing with casualties. Where I work at the moment all the tier 2's are ex mil and some have been paramedics and military medics etc.

My own advice to you is as I stated above, ask those companies you viewed jobs with to give you advice. Just doing a CP/Fire Arms course etc won't get you a job, most medics will/may also step up to Team Leader to so some experience will be required.

Im sure that the medics on here will have better advice than myself as I'm not a tier 2 so hopefully somebody will point you in the right direction bud

You would be better looking for remote/offshore work that doesn't require you to have a military background. You'll probably find the work more fulfilling from a medical perspective too.

Irishboy, do u have an email address i can contact you on, potential have a solution to your problem.

Get Five posts and then u can PM

Murf

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the advice. Had a look at olive but their current vacancies state you need a military background, but maybe thats for just that one.

I have been working out in Iraq & Kurdistan for coming up to 5 years now. 99% of security companies will require you to be HCPC Paramedic - off shore medic - emt-p and possess PHTLS and ACLS quals. On top of this you will require 3 - 5 years military experience with at least one hostile tour of duty. Some contracts may accept police service but they are very few and far between. I have known civilian paramedics with 15 - 20 years experience go out and pay for CP courses and weapons courses and still can't get employed. These courses are very expensive so best advice is to look to another industry such as off shore gas and oil or remote medic. Once again though its catch 22 as most contracts require experience in the industry. There are some Iraqi companies that may employ you but at your own peril.......they fail to pay your salary and living and working conditions are dire. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but best advice is to think of another line of work

Back