Looking for help and advice

JEvo

Full Registered User
Hello All,

I have recently left the military having served just shy of 5 years with the Royal Marines with a very kinetic operational deployment to Afghanistan back in 2011-2012, also trained as a team medic as per most on the tours. I am currently due to begin a degree course to retrain as a paramedic and i shall be conducting a Hostile Environment CP course this July. The end goal is, after a few years experience as a frontline paramedic, enter the security industry as a Paramedic CPO.

I guess I'm asking how realistic is this goal? From word of mouth from a few colleagues of mine in the military and ones currently working in the security industry iv been told its a reasonable goal. My only concern is that my military experience totals 4 years 9 months as seen on my discharge papers. From what iv seen through research, many companies state they want 5 years military experience. Im only shy of this figure by 3 months, and it would seem a shame to disregard my application because of 12 weeks experience. Again I guess I'm asking how realistic is my goal given all of the above?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Regards

Josh

Last edited:
Hi Josh,
If 3 months is all it is tell them to stick it, first of all thank you for your honest intro. Sometimes one company won't take someone on but another will, you have to ask yourself if you really want to work for the company who will, (you dont). Network m8, you will find a wealth of knowledge here and possibly some people you know.

Pull in a chair, grab a beer, work will not fall in your lap but getting to know people on here, they will know your style by your comments, not promising anything buddy but the cream is on here.

Good luck

Col

Col,

Cheers for the quick reply. I thought it might be a bit jack to be tight over 12 weeks, naturally I know some firms look at applications individually and the required experience section is probably to stop people applying with much less than 5 years or even applicants with no military experience whatsoever. I was directed to this site in lieu of my CP course In July, seems to be some good gen on here. I'll be sure to crack on networking.

Thanks again for the advice

Josh

I also do that on days when I get serious, although I might need a new mirror before long haha. Cheers again col

Col,

Cheers for the quick reply. I thought it might be a bit jack to be tight over 12 weeks, naturally I know some firms look at applications individually and the required experience section is probably to stop people applying with much less than 5 years or even applicants with no military experience whatsoever. I was directed to this site in lieu of my CP course In July, seems to be some good gen on here. I'll be sure to crack on networking.

Thanks again for the advice

Josh

Someone will be along shortly to get in touch, poor you.

I don't expect handouts buddy, never have and never will. Im just here trying to get some straight up advice which was what I got from yourself. I appreciated yours as it helped shed some light onto the industry.

Cheers

Josh

JEvo,

Buddy if you want it, it will happen, hostile environment work isn't paying what it did, some of us make similar amounts by sticking to corporate and celebrity clients, what we don't bank is far outweighed by getting to be at home more....
not always a bonus some will say!

Paramedic qualification will also be looked upon favourable.

Regards

premier

JEvo,

Buddy if you want it, it will happen, hostile environment work isn't paying what it did, some of us make similar amounts by sticking to corporate and celebrity clients, what we don't bank is far outweighed by getting to be at home more....
not always a bonus some will say!

Paramedic qualification will also be looked upon favourable.

Regards

premier

Premier,

Ah rgr, thanks for reply buddy and cheers for the advice it's all much appreciated .

Regards

Josh

Not sure if you have investigated the option of one of the large established companies that provide medics to companies operating in remote and HE areas. Usually in oil and gas or mining (talking mainly Africa here) but with your mil' background and med qual's you would have a good chance to get in. They are either on a ad hoc basis and when they take a shine to you, it always leads to more permenant work or follow on work. The more sedate locations give you foot in the door for the more active ones. Pay is better than HE in Iraq and the Stan's. I have seen quite a few guys take this route in and made a hefty packet in exotic locations. If you learn another language and I am only talking a 3 month investment to learn the basics

Not sure if you have investigated the option of one of the large established companies that provide medics to companies operating in remote and HE areas. Usually in oil and gas or mining (talking mainly Africa here) but with your mil' background and med qual's you would have a good chance to get in. They are either on a ad hoc basis and when they take a shine to you, it always leads to more permenant work or follow on work. The more sedate locations give you foot in the door for the more active ones. Pay is better than HE in Iraq and the Stan's. I have seen quite a few guys take this route in and made a hefty packet in exotic locations. If you learn another language and I am only talking a 3 month investment to learn the basics

Roger mate ill take that on board, I was thinking aswell of doing one of those basic language courses in either Pashtun or Arabic just for the basics. Help boost the CV I guess. Thanks again for the info.

Regards
Josh

Learn French and Arabic and you will have doubled your chances for all Africa and Middle East. Focus on oil, gas and mining. For some reason most Brits refuse to learn another language and they are in big demand around Africa. You will get offers! Good luck for the future

I did say someone would be along, I negleleted to say ignore sickofBS lol ;)

Premier said it right in an earlier post...

Make your choice now m8. Seriously if I had to do it all over again I'd personally pick a diffrent trade.

Regards

Col

Last edited:
Interesting post Col, if I had my time back, I would also steer clear of security as I obviously had it wrong from the beginning, I should bulk up, biceps the size of Birmingham and get a jawbone the size of an iceberg and sell my poor story to the tabloids moaning my celeb clients only used a G3 instead of a G4 to fly around. Instead I am a mere mortal doing what I do to get by the best I can in this back stabbing shitty world where most people take pleasure in screwing you over. HE is pretty much dead in the ME thanks to tens of thousands working in Iraq and the Stan during the height of the good old days, or should I say the bad old days. I hired a guy at 500 quid a day, a month ago, and it was hard to find a Brit that is not ex legion that speaks French, and the med quals weighed heavily on the decision. The work is out there but you need to stand out above the rest and languages are a huge plus. That is also a good foot in the door for HSE, those guys get paid a stupid amount and that also leads to other opportunities outside of security. Or ignore me and as I see on this site, there are quite a few jobs paying 10/15 quid an hour, but as Premier says quite rightly, it's a trade off of being home more. Each to their own. Crack on.

Back