Order of Wearing Medals?

NightHawk

Full Registered User
Lads, at the risk of sounding like a 'Walt' I have to ask, what is the ‘order of wearing’ for my medals?

I was awarded the following medals in the following order but have absolutely no idea in which order they should be mounted, information on the ARRSE website seems to be conflicting.

- Accumulated Campaign Service Medal
- Iraq Medal with Clasp (Op Telic)
- Queens Golden Jubilee Medal
- OSM Afghanistan with Clasp (Op Veritas)
- OSM Sierra Leone (Op Barras)
- NATO Service Medal Kosovo (Op Joint Guardian)
- GSM Northern Ireland with Clasp (Op Banner)

Any help would be much appreciated.

The order in which you earned them is most logical.
So something like, GSM Northern Ireland with Clasp (Op Banner), OSM Sierra Leone (Op Barras), NATO Service Medal Kosovo (Op Joint Guardian), OSM Afghanistan with Clasp (Op Veritas) Queens Golden Jubilee Medal, Iraq Medal with Clasp (Op Telic), Accumulated Campaign Service Medal, I guess that must be something like the correct order
Intrinsic

A strange request..... When you accumulate medals throughout service they will be mounted periodically by the tailor or tailoress, there should'nt be any confusion, Even when you leave and throw away your uniform the medals will still be mounted on their bar.
How come you have a bunch of medals that aren't already mounted?

Thanks 'Intrinsic' that was my understanding until I read posts on the ARRSE website which contradicted this theory.

To 'Farangbootneck' I served with UKSF from 99 - 04 and was away either on the above Ops, on exercises or secondment. I had the GSM, Kosovo and Jubilee medals mounted but if you look at the dates the other medals were issued, it meant I never received them until either just before I left or just after. Needless to say, after I left the last thing I was worried about was having my medals mounted.

I am 90 percent positive that you should have your Campaign medals in order (from centre outwards) then the accumulated campaign service medal with the Jubilee at the end.

If Arrse can't help mate see if there's any D.L's on rumration who could help you out.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Although I am sure the Accumulated Service Medal is after the Jubilee medal. I will make a call to Bigbury Mint later today to confirm.

Nighthawk

Mine are mounted in order of:

NI service
Sierra Leonne
UN
Afghan
Quens Jub
Accumulated Service

Iraq would be mounted after Afghan and inbetween Queens Jub but not 100% on that one.

Lads, at the risk of sounding like a 'Walt' I have to ask, what is the ‘order of wearing’ for my medals?

I was awarded the following medals in the following order but have absolutely no idea in which order they should be mounted, information on the ARRSE website seems to be conflicting.

- Accumulated Campaign Service Medal
- Iraq Medal with Clasp (Op Telic)
- Queens Golden Jubilee Medal
- OSM Afghanistan with Clasp (Op Veritas)
- OSM Sierra Leone (Op Barras)
- NATO Service Medal Kosovo (Op Joint Guardian)
- GSM Northern Ireland with Clasp (Op Banner)

Any help would be much appreciated.

NightHawk:

Campaign Medals and Stars (including authorised UN, EC/EU and NATO) are worn in order of the dates of the campaigns for which they were awarded.

Rather than seek unofficial and possibly inaccurate information (from tailors, ARRSE and CPW members), you can confirm the official and correct direction from the UK Government Honours and Awards website at the following link:

[URL]http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Honoursawardsandmedals/DG_176568[/URL]

I have attached a useful document from this site that sets out the official order of precedence / wear of UK Orders, Medals and Decorations.

A good military tailor will likely know the correct order of wear, but one should always confirm this from the official sources.

Regards,

Dave (I only have one medal, so I don't have this problem)

Hmmm, order of wearing for medals.......don't, cause who gives a feck?? If you have them stick them in a drawer, it saves having to clean them. If you are in a situation where you are 'required' to wear them....still don't! Bitter and twisted....me??? Never, I would sell mine on ebay but they are not worth much. The memories though, priceless!!
Take care and regards,
Kenpsd VD and Scar!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No point in running you will just die tired.Better to stay and fight on the ground that you hold.

Order to wear medals

NightHawk:

Campaign Medals and Stars (including authorised UN, EC/EU and NATO) are worn in order of the dates of the campaigns for which they were awarded.

Rather than seek unofficial and possibly inaccurate information (from tailors, ARRSE and CPW members), you can confirm the official and correct direction from the UK Government Honours and Awards website at the following link:

[URL]http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/UKgovernment/Honoursawardsandmedals/DG_176568[/URL]

I have attached a useful document from this site that sets out the official order of precedence / wear of UK Orders, Medals and Decorations.

A good military tailor will likely know the correct order of wear, but one should always confirm this from the official sources.

Regards,

Dave (I only have one medal, so I don't have this problem)

Hi Dave,

I could not open the document you attached and the Direct Gov site does not answer my question on medal order. I have tried MOD too but have had no reply so maybe you, and any other members here, could give an opinion. BTW I can sympathise with Nighthawk as I did not receive my medals in the order I earned them either.

So here's my question. Should the GSM with NI clasp for a tour in 1984 go before or after the South Atlantic Medal? Although it was more than two years later I actual received the GSM before the SAM and so that is the order I always wore them and I was never corrected, in fact I recall others in my unit also wearing them in that order. However at a recent Sandbaggers' event in Singapore someone (a marine) told me that they should be worn in order of award/events i.e. SAM then GSM and the UN Yugoslavian ones.

Wearing Campaign Medals/Start

Hi Dave,

I could not open the document you attached and the Direct Gov site does not answer my question on medal order. I have tried MOD too but have had no reply so maybe you, and any other members here, could give an opinion. BTW I can sympathise with Nighthawk as I did not receive my medals in the order I earned them either.

So here's my question. Should the GSM with NI clasp for a tour in 1984 go before or after the South Atlantic Medal? Although it was more than two years later I actual received the GSM before the SAM and so that is the order I always wore them and I was never corrected, in fact I recall others in my unit also wearing them in that order. However at a recent Sandbaggers' event in Singapore someone (a marine) told me that they should be worn in order of award/events i.e. SAM then GSM and the UN Yugoslavian ones.

JohnBat:

The only answer that I can give is that campaign medals/stars are worn in the order of the dates that the campaigns occurred, not in the order that the medals/stars were awarded to an individual.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

David (Currently freezing my arse off in the Great White North)

Back