First Ever Shift - Got Shafted

alanjohnson

Hi everyone,

Since getting my Door Supervision license back in November, I started looking for work... I started by applying on Indeed, asking local friends who are in the industry and advertised for work on a few local Facebook "looking for work" groups.

Shortly after asking for work on the local facebook job group, I was contacted by a "Jason Woolhouse" representing "Will Secure"... He offered me work for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, and offered £15 an hour for Christmas and £20 an hour for New Years... I decided to take up the offer for New Years and was requested to go to a local night club in town to work from 11pm to 5am, I arrived a couple of hours earlier due to the bus service ending at 8pm, and made my presence known to the owner of the club, just to put this into perspective, the club is situated next to a pub and the pub landlord owns both buildings.

After informing the landlord that I have been assigned as a Door Supervisor for the night on behalf of Jason, I proceeded to prepare myself for the first shift, had a couple of drinks (energy drink and water) to ensure I was hydrated for the night and to ensure I was alert at all times, and messaged Jason informing him, that I was on site... He quickly responded confirming the site location and within, about twenty minutes, he arrived and provided me with my work wear for the night, Hi Viz Vest, licence card arm band and a Radio.

I waited for the next couple of hours for my colleague to arrive and when he arrived, we said hi to one another and had a chat, and I was assigned to standing at the entrance, checking I.D's, and checking off the attendance numbers with a clicker.

The venue had a capacity of 350 people, and at most we had in total just over 200 attendees, probably closer to 210 / 215 people.

My interactions with the bar staff and colleague was purely professional and sociable, such as "how long have you worked as a bouncer / for Jason", "what caused you to get into security work", "what DJ's are playing tonight" etc, and with the customers, I kept it as professional as possible, I wished them a happy new year, helped a severely drunk lad get out the front door, by being friendly, informing him i'll help him get out of the venue safely, and keeping a hand on him gently to ensure he wasn't going to fall on the floor or down the stairs as he was only one wrong foot away from tumbling down a flight of stairs.

A few times throughout the shift, I was asked to go inside the club and make sure everyone was being pleasant, I encountered no issues in the club, and was trying to be proactive throughout my time inside, including picking up empty bottles off the club floor, and dropping them in the glass bins, I know technically might not be a part of the job description, but I was doing my best to ensure it was a safe environment, including picking up broken glass off the club floor and disposing of it.

I encountered a few empty drug wraps on the floor of the toilets and the club floor, and when I approached my colleague and asked for advice on where to take said drug bags, he told me just to chuck them at the end of the bar until the end of the night, including one bag he personally found on the club floor which contained what appeared to be several crystals.

This culminated with the end of the night, Jason had visited the site gave me a pat on the back, and said happy new year etc, and at the end of the shift, I was taken up to the office to write down my license number, signature, name, start time, end time etc on a time sheet, I asked the colleague I was with how he thought I got on as it was my first shift, and he said for a first shift I done quite well.

Since this, Jason, has had no contact with me, either on facebook, text / call... I've messaged him asking for further work and how pay works, and haven't heard a peep from him.

Any advice on this situation?

I am contemplating waiting a week or so, and see if I get any response, and if not, going back to the venue and seeing where I stand in regards to payment of wages.

Many Thanks Guys
Alan

Its the 4th of Jan, chill out. Dont think you should have mentioned the guy's name at this stage, nothing is really wrong, could be classed as bad form.

Its the 4th of Jan, chill out. Dont think you should have mentioned the guy's name at this stage, nothing is really wrong, could be classed as bad form.

I just find it strange how he has suddenly cut all contact and not responding to any messages or texts in regards to work, and I would add, when I did ask him about work, and how pay is organised, he rang me before the shift and explained the job and would completely avoid answering any question in regards to how pay is sorted, and it was just a basic, is it paid via bank transfer or cheque

You asked for my advice, I gave it to you. 3 days after new year is a little early to be naming and shaming people IMHO. But each to their own.

28 days is normal for payment.

True, I will add that when asked, he practically avoided answering any question in regards to bank details and didn't even ask for any proof of work details such as national insurance etc

First of all welcome to the forum m8, it's good to have new blood. Secondly - as protectasia has pointed out, 28 days is a reasonable time, there's no point panicking a few days later.
I personally would hold back the reigns a bit. Just for your own benefit, this could be a nice little Wed, Thurs Fri Sat earner for you.
Good luck bud.

Back