Missed the boat??

RobH

Morning,
Previous Police AFO, retired 3 years ago and have since been working in private security including 8 month stint at home of wealthy family.
I'm looking to book a CP course with either Grey Men or Horizon but at 3-4 thousand pounds (incl accomodation) I need to ask whether it would be a good move at my age (51) and whether I would stand a decent chance of getting what I'm after ie. an RST position. Physically I'm in good condition etc but I dont fancy wasting 4 grand if I can help it.
Any help would be appreciated..
Cheers!

Technically you only need a DS licence to do RST work - you're guarding premises but there's potential conflict involved so the extra physical intervention training over an SG licence is usually required, although lots of providers will like you to have CP as it makes you a more flexible employ - officially

Unofficially, if you're employed as RST and a member of the CP team are ill, you can step in to support the team by being there as an observer, to buy cups of tea, drive the car, act as PA to the boss - none of which is security so no licence issue...

I'd take an AFO with all that Policing experience and a DS licence over a civvy with no background but who did a CP course in 3 weeks and is now sporting a CP SIA licence, any day.

Have a Google, find some security providers and drop them an email, see what they have to say - your experience will count massively with companies that actually know what they're doing, and lots of clients will request an ex copper or military as they know all that training and experience on the ground provides a much more capable operator than any commercial training provider can in a few weeks
Good luck

MrBlonde,
Many thanks for your reply and words of advice. I'll set the ball rolling and see where it leads.
Appreciate your help,
Rob

Morning,
Previous Police AFO, retired 3 years ago and have since been working in private security including 8 month stint at home of wealthy family.
I'm looking to book a CP course with either Grey Men or Horizon but at 3-4 thousand pounds (incl accomodation) I need to ask whether it would be a good move at my age (51) and whether I would stand a decent chance of getting what I'm after ie. an RST position. Physically I'm in good condition etc but I dont fancy wasting 4 grand if I can help it.
Any help would be appreciated..
Cheers!

Good Morning Sir.

I am 36, five years AFO and now response. I am considering doing RST myself plus CP course.

Please keep me updated.

stay safe

Technically you only need a DS licence to do RST work - you're guarding premises but there's potential conflict involved so the extra physical intervention training over an SG licence is usually required, although lots of providers will like you to have CP as it makes you a more flexible employ - officially

Unofficially, if you're employed as RST and a member of the CP team are ill, you can step in to support the team by being there as an observer, to buy cups of tea, drive the car, act as PA to the boss - none of which is security so no licence issue...

I'd take an AFO with all that Policing experience and a DS licence over a civvy with no background but who did a CP course in 3 weeks and is now sporting a CP SIA licence, any day.

Have a Google, find some security providers and drop them an email, see what they have to say - your experience will count massively with companies that actually know what they're doing, and lots of clients will request an ex copper or military as they know all that training and experience on the ground provides a much more capable operator than any commercial training provider can in a few weeks
Good luck

Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards

Oscar, good evening.
Rest assured I'll keep you updated of and pass on anything that i think will help.
Look after yourself
Rob

Back