27 female soon to be ex Royal Signals, seeking advice on CP course selection.

el85

Full Registered User
Hi all,

My name is El , I'm 27 and leaving the Army this year after 9 years in the Royal Signals.

I'm seeking advice on what CP course is the most value for money out there at the moment.

Also would appreciate any information on what job prospects will a Female CPO have in todays market.

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for your time, El :)

Hi El,
(Also ex-scaley -14 years!) I did my CP course with Ronin, Hereford. It is well regarded on the outside. Just be careful of companies offering 'good prices' and them not being registered etc it could bite you on the ass in the long run :)

Depends on what environment you work in. Ronin Concepts in Hereford seem to want to spend time doing weapons handling which is utterly irrelevant to the UK environment. However if you want hostile environment work you are better off seeking out a HE course (which are not UK SIA licensable).

Watch out for courses that want to spend time doing sexy stuff and wasting days on five man foot formation drills - jollies to other countries to put thirty rounds downrange, sparring every day, pool work (seriously) and days doing J turns.

Regard work opportunities, its my belief theres plenty of opportunities for good female operators, again all depending where you want to work. If your looking for HE, although i stand to be corrected im fairly sure that FCO contracts require females on them

Especially if you actually look like a female and can answer your bloody radio! ...Assuming you were an ASO or whatever it is now!

Thank you for all your advice.

I am now a newly qualified CPO with a Frontline SIA CP licence.

I ended up completing my training with SOS Ltd out in Slovakia and also gained the EMT-B qualification in Guatemala.

I am currently looking for work and hope to get on a contract soon!

Thanks again for all your help.

Ps I used to be a Radio Systems Operator and my Voice Procedure is impeccable!!

I should imagine that you're in a much better position than most on here. Corporate rather than HE, mind you, I wouldn't rule that out either.

The other thing you might wish to consider is SV. Women tend to be able to be the grey person easier, so I suspect there would be oportunities for you there as well.

Good luck

Starlight,

Thank you for your advice, particularly on SV. I will consider completing a course once my ELCAS entitlement renews in April.

All the best,

El

There are many different courses avaliable out there, and everyone has there own views on which is best etc etc. My advice when this question pops up is go and sit seminars, most of the main CP Course providers do have them, sit a mixture from different providers, they will tell you how it is,those who know this industry will not BS you they will tell it how it is, and also thiose that are working in it as TL's & Operators at present will give there own advice and what it is actually like.

Seminars are free and so many just don't go and listen in first before handing over that hard earned money.

Mad

Interesting point Mad1, about the seminars. I went to a training provider's open or briefing day and was told there was supposed to have been 9 or 10 people attending, however only 3 of us turned up on the day. I was impressed with the TP brief etc and have booked onto a course with them in the new year. As many have pointed out in CPW forums it isn't cheap booking/paying for these courses yet many still pay out several £££ with out actually visiting trainers and do some basic checks on that company to see if they are praised or slated for there training contents etc.

Back