A Beginners Guide to becoming a Close Protection Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Nomad

New on the site and doing the research.

Your missive is insightful and revealing, not to mention helpful to the Nth degree.

Not wanting to blow the cash on a 'yes we will place you' course, any ideas?

Am being led by the hand to Anubis.

Any response will be greatly received.

Kind regards

Lozza
p.s Is the Lebanese take away on the corner of Waverley and Campbell Parade still there, had my first flat over the take away and looking over BB years back.

Great write up which helps with regards how to find work once I've completed my CPP course in March. Main query for me is around the previous experience element of positions. Having come out of the RAF Regiment back in 89 after 4 years I'm behind on recent experience and not having done any tours of Iraq/Afghan I know I'm going to struggle. How would you build a factual CV to support a CPP role? I'm hoping that life experience will give me a chance to break into the CPO world. Thanks for any direction given. Jason.

Nomad Ur a Legend mate been doing research like everyone else as of late and this article was the most insightful ive read through so far thanks alot buddy!!!

Hello Nomad

New on the site and doing the research.

Your missive is insightful and revealing, not to mention helpful to the Nth degree.

Not wanting to blow the cash on a 'yes we will place you' course, any ideas?

Am being led by the hand to Anubis.

Any response will be greatly received.

Kind regards

Lozza
p.s Is the Lebanese take away on the corner of Waverley and Campbell Parade still there, had my first flat over the take away and looking over BB years back.

Most likely, there are so many Lebanese takeaways in that area. I take it you mean Warners Ave and Campbell Parade as there is one there. Missing the place at the moment especialy as just spent the weekend in Christchurch with the team from Oz. What is nice is that they all want me back so won't be long I guess :D

Great write up which helps with regards how to find work once I've completed my CPP course in March. Main query for me is around the previous experience element of positions. Having come out of the RAF Regiment back in 89 after 4 years I'm behind on recent experience and not having done any tours of Iraq/Afghan I know I'm going to struggle. How would you build a factual CV to support a CPP role? I'm hoping that life experience will give me a chance to break into the CPO world. Thanks for any direction given. Jason.

Just be honest, you are not expected to have a bristling CV of CP experience but what is good to convey is your motivation and reasons for what you do. Like I have said to others sometimes the fact you did something off your own initiative can open opportunities.

For me it was going to Edelweiss to train in something so unrelated to what I am employed to do at present is what got me sent over to Australia to fix up the operations there. The MD saw a person who not only had skill but could be dropped in the deep end and make things work and he must have been confident of that because it cost him $20k extra for that and a two month extension!

Good luck and thanks to everyone for the great comments :)

good information you put out there... quite helpfull indeed.
well i am new in the CP world, and i have experience in three
diff hostile countries. IRAQ, AFGAN, BELFAST. i was in for 5 years and got
out 2 years ago.. i completed the SIA close protection course last year and still
need to do first aid.. so i could send of for ma licence. can anyone help out with agencies? so i can start sending out for MA CV...
questions; 1: do i really need to do firearms course?
2: advance/ defensive driving?
your reply will b apreciated.

Hi Passipassi and I am glad you found that article useful. In answer to your questions

1. Firearms is only useful if you are going to work in HE contracts or outside the UK. If you primarily only work the UK market then firearms will be a bit of a waste of money. You could of course still do it as it will add to your employability outside the UK.

2. Advanced / Defensive driving is useful in all markets and does at least give you another point of difference.

Also consider both medics and surveillence training but before all that start to network and get a feel for the people that work in the industry.

Hope that helps

Hi Nomad.

I found the article incredibly insightful, as a newbie trying to track down information for someone else, it was pretty much a godsend!

I was just wondering (without having to start up a new thread and get crated) if having a basic SIA license is the same as a SIA CP license? Stupid question I know, but I'm just searcing for the simplest answer!

Thanks
elle

The SIA issues various licences throughout the security sector.

If you attend and pass an SIA Door Supervisor's(DS) course for example you can then apply to the SIA for a DS licence - a DS licence will also allow you to work as a Security Guard.

If you attend and pass an SIA approved Close Protection course then you can then apply for your CP licence. This also covers you to work as a DS and Security guard - but not CCTV - that is another course.

Hope this helps.

CM

thank you for the quality of information, i am new to this business and are certainly trying to gain any type of good reputation, your points are very valid and i will remember those when sending CV's off and working with other CPO's.

hi nomad
thanks for the tips,they are great.just completed my cp course with ronin consepts,and im looking to send my cv and network like a demon.thanks again gibbo68

hi all.

im new to this site and new to the security industry. ive had my SIA door supervisors badge since april so not really that long but i am working on two hotels as they both have public bars so doorstaff are required. im really intrested in close protection and also surveillance.

as for the close protection is there any courses that offer financing help towards the course?

Re: kevinkinvig Post...

I too spent a lot of time researching this. The only options I found available were some of the more corporate companies offering to accept a deposit to guarantee the course date you want and then followed by 10 installments or less over the months leading up to your course start date with the total paid before commencement.
The other option was a career development loan, which, is applied for via a bank and with the assistance of the training company.
As yet I have not found a company that will let you do the course and pay for it after completion irrespective of a deposit. I can understand why!!! Besides, this would involve intervention from a reputable finance company, which, would also mean interest, credit checks and so on...

Depending on your situation (By that I mean age, ex-mil, etc, which, is unknown) there are certain re-settlement grants available for ex-mil and career development loans as mentioned above but I am unsure of the age limits if any or other qualifying criteria.

Sorry I couldn't help anymore but if someone knows any alternatives I would be interested.

NB. As an after thought, might it pay you to call a few of the companies you have short listed and ask if they offer any payment options, if you are not in a major hurry I am sure most of them would accept installments until the start of your course date??

Good luck...

(Don't usually plug other companies but it may help? - http://www.gumtree.com/london/67/40836467.html)

Last edited:
Again I would just like to say a big thanks for the article that you took the time and effort to write, as someone that is at that stage of looking for a training company it could not have come to me at a better time (thanks banshee for sending me the link), the forum itself is so in-depth!

What I have discovered so far, there are some companies out there that really are just after your money and their training is poo! I have spoken with Wilplan, PBA, Longmoor, Ronin and the NSC so far and waiting on info back from Morrigan - all of these companies have been recommended by people on here or by word of mouth from other trainers that do not offer the CP course.

I would like to work in a hostile environment (at some point) but I am aware that not being from a military background this will be hard to get, not impossible but very hard so am considering a course that incorportaes this along with a firearms course as would like to work internationally.

Exploring the Medics courses will be an area of interest to me aswell so that will be another area of research for me in the future once I have got some experience under my belt.

What is clear to me is that if you sit on your arse not networking and not being professional on a contract you will not last long in this industry.

I am happy to receive any info via PM if you feel it will help me at this stage of my career.

awesome advice

thanks very much for taking the time to write that up mate, its awesome advice for someone fresh on the scene and i will definately take note and action on it. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back