A dangerous attitude towards safety!

grinny

Full Registered User
Hi All.

I returned this morning from working as Security at the Isle Of Wight Festival and have a point that I would like to raise and see what everyone's opinion is on the matter.

The security for this event was provided by Show & Event Security. About 25% of the security staff at this festival were directly employed by Show & Event with the other 75% provided by sub-contracted companies (as was I). Show & Events own employees were of a very poor standard and there were supervisors with 4 months security experience in charge of some of the main stages!!

The issue that I have is that as a member of the Pit crew between the stage and the crowd, we were told by our supervisors that we do not stop the show unless there has been a fatality! People are only to be pulled out of the crowd if they request to be pulled out or are acting inappropriately and are within reach of you.

What do you all think about leaving it until a person has died before pressing the show stop button just so its easier to pick up the bodies after the area has been evacuated?

I have worked on many pit crews before and never come across such a cavalier attitude towards crowd safety.

I can tell you now, Show & Event Security were not bothered about aspects of safety one little bit!
 

fbg

New Member
This is sad to read, a couple of years ago I was running the response teams at the festival and found show and event to be very good at briefings. I had 40 personnel split into 8 teams, one of these teams was constantly in the pit helping to pull people out. I will never go in a pit as I have not been pit trained and even though I have helped give first aid to those pulled out of pit and even taken them to the first aid tent I am not a pit person.

If what you say is correct about the supervisors again I am saddened as I have worked with them on many occassions including New Years eve in central london for the fireworks. Did you speak to the management about this as in my experience Brian and Jed are always on site and perfectly happy to listen to comments.

FBG
 

BearUK

Longterm Registered User
Is what was said by the supervisor/s the company line? And to the best of your knowledge was that directive from the festival organiser?
 

Scab

Longterm Registered User
Many moons ago I tried to stop a gig as a crowd surfer had piled into a mosh pit head first, red sticky goo pissing out of his head. Long story short was my demand for the music to be stopped to properly stabilise the casualty came back a resounding no - while an exchange was taking place between me and event supervisor two other security blokes were told to remove the casualty from the mosh pit and carry him to the first aid point. This was all while the music was going on. It was only because some of the moshing guys had some common sense and kept a hole open for us that the casualty was not moshed over.

What you say surprises me little. Things like that have gone on for years but blokes rarely, if ever speak out about it. Kid was ok as far as I know. But the 'what if a c-spine injury' question was raised with management who were pretty much "Well, he didn't have, did he." type responses.

Everyone only gives a shit in hindsight. At least that remains true.
 

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
It's the same everywhere, I was at another big one last week and I thought some of the resources were shocking, in all areas....
 

grinny

Full Registered User
Im not too sure if this was the actual briefing from Show & Event themselves or if the supervisor was just being a numpty. But after finding out that the supervisor has less security experience than everyone else working there and was in charge of the pit for the first time ever I am not surprised!

It is a shame to think that this supervisor would rather let a fatality occur instead of stopping the show. Im sure the rest of the crowd would understand that it is important to preserve life!
 

Oscar

Full Registered User
Hi All.

I returned this morning from working as Security at the Isle Of Wight Festival and have a point that I would like to raise and see what everyone's opinion is on the matter.

The security for this event was provided by Show & Event Security. About 25% of the security staff at this festival were directly employed by Show & Event with the other 75% provided by sub-contracted companies (as was I). Show & Events own employees were of a very poor standard and there were supervisors with 4 months security experience in charge of some of the main stages!!

The issue that I have is that as a member of the Pit crew between the stage and the crowd, we were told by our supervisors that we do not stop the show unless there has been a fatality! People are only to be pulled out of the crowd if they request to be pulled out or are acting inappropriately and are within reach of you.

What do you all think about leaving it until a person has died before pressing the show stop button just so its easier to pick up the bodies after the area has been evacuated?

I have worked on many pit crews before and never come across such a cavalier attitude towards crowd safety.

I can tell you now, Show & Event Security were not bothered about aspects of safety one little bit!

Just worked with these in Birmingham, one word 'shocking'.
 
Top