Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A little assistance

richf

Hi. I have recently decided to change careers and follow an interest of mine to become a Private Investigator. I have completed the BTEC Diploma in Advance Private Investigation and i am continuing training and learning to develop my skills.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any companies in the south east (including London) who may be looking to take on a new PI. I am set up to work as a contractor and take on my own work but would prefer the route of working for a reputable company as feel it would allow me to gather experience quicker and reach my intended goals.

Any help or assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Navy5a

Hi Rich, like you i am looking at a change of direction in my career path. I am Interested in the P.I. Cousre can you tell me where, when, who, how much. I'm trawling the net for various courses, unsure which one to take up.

Thanks

davew877

Dopn't take a course yet!

Hi Rich, like you i am looking at a change of direction in my career path. I am Interested in the P.I. Cousre can you tell me where, when, who, how much. I'm trawling the net for various courses, unsure which one to take up.

Thanks
Guys,

PI licencing is still up in the air. Currently the only accredited qualification is EDI. I and many others took a BTEC qualification, at present BTEC is not accredited by the SIA, so if and when licencing becomes mandatory for the PI sector the only acceptable qualification at present is an EDI qual.

WAPI tell me that BTEC are applying for accreditation, time will tell!

Keep your money in your pocket until it has all been sorted.

Dave

Carl Dowd

You know in my experience in industry..? you often find and you may be surprised to find how many out there would wish or are willing to 'Help'..?

I am of course talking here of true industrialists and entrepreneurs who are comfortable with their business careers and where they are in the food chain.

I am not talking of those business owners who think that the only way to deal with competition is to, at all costs and by any means, get rid of it..?

So do some research, find those companies that I speak of, they are out there and along with your resume inform them that you are just starting out in the industry and are looking for a little help to get a foot through the door... You may be surprised..!

DetectiveDenise

Full Registered User
In the main there are very few opportunities for PIs to be employed, but why not write/email the companies near to you and offer your services, most PI's are sole traders or small companies but have to collaborate with other agents from time to time to make up larger teams depending on the job.

richf

Hi Guys. Thanks for your comments. I have been doing a lot of leg work and making pretty good progress.

Carl - I couldn't agree more. I have made hundreds of calls and it seems the ones who have substantial experience in the business are the ones willing to talk to you and other advice. I even had a meeting with another local PI that did not see the competition as a threat but more of an alliance. It was very helpful.

In regards to the course i took it was the BTEC Level 3 in Advanced Private Investigation from The Academy of Professional Investigation. it was a good course and the staff were very helpful, it gave me a great deal of knowledge to get me started. I was aware of the issues surrounding the SIA but just wanted to get started. I will deal with licensing as and when they sort out what they will require. I understand it has been going on for quite a while.

I have also learnt that a good way to increase knowledge is by various books from different authors which have been recommended to me. Thats what i am focussing on at the moment, gaining all the knowledge i can as well as any expereince i can. I just want to be good at what i do.

isstraining

Security Directors
Richf,

You have been given some sound advice so far. If you approach other investigators in your area, do NOT trawl the Yellow Pages - There are a number of cowboys out there - in fact too many.

Use the directories at Varsity Directory of Investigators & Process Servers or Private Investigator, private investigators uk, detective agency london, agent investigation birmingham, private investigator manchester, detective agencies kent, agents investigations surrey, professional body UK, england international, Association

You cannot go far wrong to find someone reputable.

Cheers

Peter @ ISS

Navy5a

Guys like richf says Thanks for all your help and advice on this.

Carl thanks for your suggestion I have now sent a couple of letters away to local PI's explaining my situation and asking for the opportunity of some experience whilst i can also discuss with them which training course would be most suitable.

Thanks

Carl Dowd

Guys like richf says Thanks for all your help and advice on this.

Carl thanks for your suggestion I have now sent a couple of letters away to local PI's explaining my situation and asking for the opportunity of some experience whilst i can also discuss with them which training course would be most suitable.

Thanks
No worries mate and I hope you find what you are looking for... Good luck to you..! :)

Top Bottom