Advice needed after theft from bar

Full Registered User
A mate of mine works on the door of a popular bar in a city centre. There are two rooms to this venue each with their own bar. There is a main door to the larger bar and door on the corner to the smaller bar.

Now my mate stands on the door of the smaller bar but is visible to the doormen on the main door only 10 feet away.
On Friday night the smaller bar was very quiet and at one point only had a group of 4 people in and whilst the bar lad was either distracted or not even behind the bar (gone to get some stock), three of this group decided to steal a large expensive ornament which was hung on the wall right in full view of the serving bar.

They are clearly seen on CCTV taking the ornament off the wall and hiding it under a coat. They then exit the (empty) bar through door on the corner where my mate is standing.

The first one to walk out was a 6’4†very big male who seemed to shield his mate behind him who was carrying the object under his arm under his jacket. Behind the thief was a woman. All three had clearly worked together to steal this ornament and smuggle it past the doorman.
To my knowledge the bar have not reported the theft to police even though it is clearly seen on CCTV. There is a very good possibility they paid for drinks by card so can be traced that way.

Now the bar manager is saying it is solely the doorman’s fault as he should have noticed that the man had the ornament under his arm. Bear in mind it was under his jacket under his right arm (the doorman was stood to the man’s left) and he was shielded by his very large mate who came out first.

The manager has told the security company boss he will be invoiced (a few hundred quid) as a result of his doorman unaware these people had stolen the ornament and smuggled it out of the door.

Can I please have everyone’s thoughts on this…

Is it the doorman’s fault?
Is it the bar’s fault as there was no barman when there are people in the bar?
Should bar report the theft to police?
Should the security firm have to pay for the stolen item?

Thanks in advance for any help and information

Top,

I should be reported to the police.
The security firm should not pay for it!

That's what insurance is for

Regards

premier

Is it the doorman’s fault?
Not having seen the SOP or any local instructions and assuming that the security may look after the safety of the people and assets of the premises Yes, could be responsible for the theft.

Is it the bar’s fault as there was no barman when there are people in the bar?
Leaving a place unattended seems as a fault that unless addressed to the security team, fails under the local responsibility.

Should bar report the theft to police?
If any illegal action took place on the premises, that should be reported to the police; if further steps to minimize/compensate the damage are acceptable for the local they may prefer not getting to this step (a mistake from my point of view, the thetf was done and consummated, a punishment is mandatory).

Should the security firm have to pay for the stolen item?
If a client presents the company with a request for compensation there will be necessarily a way to value, justify and proof the theft. Therefore, as a part of the claim would also become the part presenting the proof of the damage, I would never accept other proof than a formal police investigation being started with the due diligence, (including CCTV, identification of the involved...) as the last step of any claim should be the repair of the damage by the person/persons producing such damage.
Insurance companies work in this fashion, they will pay in advance, but this way getting to attend in court acting in substitution of the claimant part against the part that can be considered responsible for the damage. Same allies in any kind of insurance claim, your company not just pay you, they pay you the compensation in order to be a legitimated part in the prosecution of the part responsible, usually getting that part to pay not just for the damage but also legal expenses (that sky rocket usually with the involvement of "in home" legal professionals and such).

PS: just my opinion, not legally binding and maybe not enough for the UK legal system, but contracts law, representation right on court and claims are more or less equal all over the world.

Last edited:
six four, very big male; compared to what, was it a midget bar. LOL

Yes police should have been called, not it is not the bars fault, no it is not the doormans fault. The fault is with those who committed the criminal action. Same applies for soldiers down range, not their fault when terrorist plant IEDs, sure ass heck is not a womens fault for looking hot when she is sexually assaulted.

Is this one of those liberal bars where the drinks have more fruit and vegetables than a farmers market.

They where clearly cocky enough to rip this and walk out, so they will come back in time, sort it then.

Then again if six four is considered very big or even slightly large then it should not be hard to find out who they are.

Back