Advice Please

Douglas

Hello to you all!!!

I am ex forces and interested in getting involved in Close Protection. I served just five years in the Princess of wale's Royal Regiment and completed tours of Kosovo and Iraq. i left as a Lance Corporal. Since leaving the forces in 2005 I have been in a same old 9-5 job.

I feel at the age of 26 I still have the chance to make a career for myself in Close Protecting.

Any advice, experience and comments welcome.

thanks in advance :)

gulfsoldier

Full Registered User
Hi
I did 18 years Royal Hampshire, PWRR and never looked back. CP trained now and run my own company in security. If you do a CP course, there are many openings out there and a lot of it is "who you know". If you cant get on the "circuit" as its known, right away, then maybe try doing some Artist Protection in the entertainment world, then move on. There are a lot of poeple out there who will offer you this and that but its down to you to find out whats genuine and not.
Good luck.
(I recruit for outdoor events throughout the summer)

scotti653

Forum Supporter
Douglas, your best bet is go into search fields look for "getting started" or similar type phrases there are loads of previous posts, and some specially done for new guys, best to look at them first. Welcome along, and happy hunting

Stay safe
Scotti

Flashcar

Douglas, there are two distinct markets, hostile regions (Iraq/Afghan) and more traditional corporate. For hostile you generally need 5 1/2 yrs military service with 2 or more operational tours and an acceptable CP course. For the corporate market, choice of training provider will be more significant, as they appreciate more intensive and appropriate training. The basics of CP is not rocket science, but to have the edge you need to have the right personal attributes and interpersonal skills. This involves good communication and self-marketing. Bear in mind that the majority of trainers purely meet the SIA licence specification. Do your homework and ask around. Good luck.

Ram Man

Longterm Registered User
Bro PM me if you would like some details of good trainers Corp or HECPO stay safe Ram out.

jaseoneill

Full Registered User
Douglas,

its a pity you didn't use your resettlement or Advance Learning Credits to get yourself CP qualified but hey ho.

this job is (in my opinion 80% attitude and providing thats right you can learn the rest). The guys above are absolutely right, look for starter jobs or look at companies that have a high turnover of staff, Aegis AEGIS - Private Security | Risk Management Company for example have literally 100's of guys in Iraq on the Matrix Contract, you can also look at some job offers on a website/recruitment site called minimal risk minimalrisk.com.

Either way your going to need to get qualified, having military experience definately helps but is no longer enough to land a job, industry regulation now dictates that CPO's/BG´s are badged, depending on which course you do there is a noticable difference in cost (anything from 1000 - 4000 pounds or even more for foreign residential courses), one thing I would say here is dont be tempted to go cheap on the course, some are not recognised by employers, suggest you look at larger more reputable companies courses and get a feel for what the all offer... look at Control Risks, Ronin (just to get an idea) and I dare say some of the other lads here have some companies they would recommend.

alot of waffle I know but I hope this helps

Jase

Douglas

Hi all!!!

Thank you for all your advice and feedback! I am now applying for my enhanced learning crewdts and looking at which course to enrole on. I have friends who have completed the Ronin CP Course and they say it is intense but highly recognised within the industry.

Anyone have any feedback or personnel experience as to which course would be best to opt for?

annie

Full Registered User
Hi all!!!

Thank you for all your advice and feedback! I am now applying for my enhanced learning crewdts and looking at which course to enrole on. I have friends who have completed the Ronin CP Course and they say it is intense but highly recognised within the industry.

Anyone have any feedback or personnel experience as to which course would be best to opt for?

lots of great training companies out there i'd suggest having a chat with some who are on here like psd training and morrigans and greymans they will all be happy to talk to you without twisting your nuts to sign up

Mel

Full Registered User
Some very good information been posted and considering I dident ask the question I gained a lot so thanks to all.

weldun84

Full Registered User
hi,

sorry to intrude i was looking through past posts and seen you had offered advice with regards training providers i to am currently serving and am looking to leave having completed 9 years service if you could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Clarky
3 Scots.

kenpsd

Forum Supporter
hi,

sorry to intrude i was looking through past posts and seen you had offered advice with regards training providers i to am currently serving and am looking to leave having completed 9 years service if you could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Clarky
3 Scots.

Clarky,

Have a good look through the Posts, on many of the Threads, there is a lot of great information and assistance on here. Once you have made 5 posts you will be able to use the Private Message facility and that is by the best way to get help and advice from the guys ( and Gals) who really know!!;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Supporting my son and his unit The Black Watch, 3 Scots on their tour in Afghanistan. Stay safe guys we are proud of you.