Advice please

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
I'm not a security dog handler.

I have a Golden retriever who is 6yrs old. After a bad night of hailstones he is terrified to go into his kennel because of the noise on the roof, I put a single bed duvet over the roof to dampen the sound and that didn't work because it was unfamiliar. He now sleeps in my garage.

I dont mind him in the garage but I'd prefer to have it locked and him to go back to his kennel. Any suggestions.

Col,
Get some kingspan insulated panel or similar on the roof and over board it this will illuminate lots of noise, if you put the silver side upwards it will also reflect heat away in the summer.

Regards

premier

Go and sleep in the kennel with him for a few nights to assure him its safe.

LOL thanks for that but I'm scared of hailstones myself, it's actually hailing outside at the moment. I do agree that what he needs is to be assured it's safe, I put his food and his water in it which just makes him go in and get out as fast as he can. The kennel was bought brand new so there's nothing wrong with it, just a stubborn dog, hmmm bit like me.

Cheers Premier, I'll try that.

Well, he's happy in the garage - along with his new apparent friend, went out yesterday and there were mouse droppings in the glove box of the motor. It appears doggy was sharing his food, - well one snap mousetrap in the engine bay ended that friendship. I had to google it to see if i was seeing things or if mice can really get in the car, yep they can.

:)

Col,

I'm not sure of your exact lay out but I would definitely encourage the dog to enter his kennel if he wants to eat and drink. This will help him learn in time there is nothing to be scared of. Have you tried rewarding him with a toy or a treat when he enters? This will associate the kennel with something enjoyable. Another method I'm not keen on but will say it anyway would be to carry him in by force. I suppose you could call it "flooding". It's not the nicest method but sometimes it can work, depending on how stressed out the dog gets.

It's not surprising that the hail stones frightened him so as suggested get that bad boy insulated! Hope that helped Col.

I'd go with littlewoman's idea. Camp out for a night or two, but whether it be in the kennel or garage, be prepared for some TLC next time it hails. Don't make a deal of the issue, just try to make the kennel a safe place to be.

I wouldn't be sleeping out with him, you'd be giving him a comfort blanket that isn't consistent. Next time it hails he'll be wound up AND looking for you - double whammy stress!

Insulate the roof for starters, and try using a small radio from time to time. Dogs are easily distracted and the radio is great for this. Just a small battery operated one hung from the corner of the roof, not too loud but loud enough to be heard over the hail. You only need to turn it on when the bad weather comes (plus the occasional play so the dog doesn't associate it with only hail).

Last edited:
I'll put closure on this. I got a lovely black lab who loves the kennel. Golden retriever got jealous and now lies in with her.

Your dog could still be pretty shaken up by the event.Wait for a few days and try all you can and wait and see if he is still the same then you could get the help of a dog behaviorist,they might be able to help you out.

Back