Airside pass

If on a diplomatic job,private plane to the steps or commercial to Vip lounge or whatever,if and when you give your details to the Military attaches office or embassy with your traveling party details and requirements,the team travelling are yours and known,on the other hand the drivers that are supplied externally from country to country are supplied to you from a so called trusted source and vetted by the attaches office of the country you are landing in,this is where it can be a can of worms as when you land and check out the people supplied you find all manner of things ,no licence/insurance /training,opposing none friendly country or religion etc ,these people all go airside including the drivers and their helpers on the baggage vans/trucks,this happens mostly in so called third world countries but with the influx of immigrant movements it has happened in all major airports in the world for many years ,its all down to the wage these people receive and the amount of middleman involvement.The US for a few years has had a decent system whereas if you have a party traveling by private plane more so if it of diplomatic nature all personnel traveling on the declared aircraft individually attend an interview at the US Embassy where papers/passport and background are vetted prior to travelling,the Military attache office for you also produce for departure and arrival the drivers details licence/id copies ,vehicle registrations/makes/colour etc which must tally on the days of travel for airside.It has been known in all major airports drivers do the pick up and when checked a short time later at the earliest convieniance its found that they have criminal convictions or are not of suitable type to have been airside let alone have licence etc.Obviously if you have the manpower and are in total personal control of the movement of your Royal or DP you would have sent an advance party to the country of intended travel to do all that is required of the advance team and all the vetting of the local workforce being employed for your party ,unfortunately in the so called third world the Attache/Embassies have the final say as they all want their backsheesh.In the past i have replaced criminals,illegal immigrants with no paperwork at all and on two occasions a wanted suspected murderer ,Awol from the legion ,French and Brit armed forces and even a supplied security/chauffeur driver for the principle who in his time had a conviction for drug smuggling (airside) and killing two people with a vehicle while working and losing his licence ,but was still working in a different country doing the same line of work.It is hard on you? you might not have the resources to send your number two chauffeur and PES driver on the advance to be waiting for you airside so you have to make the best you can do and using the team you have available.Everything is open to corruption and interpretation of the basic rules of security and easily worked around for the benefit of those requiring it,

So long story with simple answer, Yes you can have criminal convictions and get airside.This is my experience.

Last edited:
Odd job the I would not comment isn't very helpful and is being very judgemental before you know the facts.i have a criminal record that's 15 years old from a fight I had with my boyfriend at the time never been in trouble before or since.so is it really fair I get knocked back on jobs because of it, I didn't murder anyone.

Last edited:
Of course you can, dependent on what for, rehabilitation of offenders act applies.

No one is perfect, example mate nails your wife behind your back, I would rather trust the guy who got a caution for punching the chav down town in the taxi rank queue.

It is about proportionality, look up the offence and see when it is spent and also if it is detrimental to the job applying for.

It is spent,but I had a company head hurt me than when I told them I had a record,they said I wouldn't get a airside pass ,people keep telling me different things, company's seem to think cos I have a door badge I don't have a record, I am beginning to wonder how I did get my badge even more so because at the time the convictions wasn't spent.

Caz, when you come in with an opening line like 'Can you get a airside pass if you have a criminal record ?', you may not get much sympathy.

We're a cynical bunch, and we tend to assume you're an axe murderer, or at the very least, not paid your TV license.

'I am beginning to wonder how I did get my badge '. It's a bloody miracle that some have, but there are some deserving cases out there, so don't sweat it.

There's some with warrant cards that'll have a longer record than you.

V

Lucky you don't need a sense of humour for an airside pass then.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

It is spent,but I had a company head hurt me than when I told them I had a record,they said I wouldn't get a airside pass ,people keep telling me different things, company's seem to think cos I have a door badge I don't have a record, I am beginning to wonder how I did get my badge even more so because at the time the convictions wasn't spent.

Hi Caz

In various sectors companies are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, which would appear to be the case here.

One question for you:-

1. Did you tell the employer during a telephone interview or when you were sitting in a formal interview?

I have a feeling that you have volunteered the information very early on and are giving them every opportunity to refuse you.

You can improve your chances by obtaining a letter from your manager or former manager (security related) stating that notwithstanding your previous conviction, which they understand is now spent, they would not hesitate to recommend you and that your behaviour has been exemplary throughout your time with the company.

Good luck,

JHD

Of course you can, dependent on what for, rehabilitation of offenders act applies.

No one is perfect, example mate nails your wife behind your back, I would rather trust the guy who got a caution for punching the chav down town in the taxi rank queue.

It is about proportionality, look up the offence and see when it is spent and also if it is detrimental to the job applying for.

Well that isn't true at all. Firstly, the rehabilitation of offenders act only applies in the UK. Secondly, even in the UK it doesn't apply for airside security clearance.

Well that isn't true at all. Firstly, the rehabilitation of offenders act only applies in the UK. Secondly, even in the UK it doesn't apply for airside security clearance.

SCT - why comment on something you obviously don't know about, the ROAA does apply to airside passes, but does not automatically bar someone from applying or in many cases being cleared. Thanks to Azarias and the link For clarification.

You should have read the question, I work with persons dv cleared who have full airside access.

SCT - why comment on something you obviously don't know about, the ROAA does apply to airside passes, but does not automatically bar someone from applying or in many cases being cleared. Thanks to Azarias and the link For clarification.

You should have read the question, I work with persons dv cleared who have full airside access.

Let me get this straight. You are saying that in order to get an airside pass you do not have to make full disclosure. If, on the other hand, you are saying that in order to get a pass there has to be full disclosure, but the ROAA applies, then that is a nonsense as full disclosure is just that, full disclosure and this being the case the ROAA, whether it applies or not, is irrelevant. So, which is it?

Oh dear, read my first post. Secondly read the first question of the thread as a starter for one.

I need to go airs aide now with my colleague who has a record. Endex

Oh dear, read my first post. Secondly read the first question of the thread as a starter for one.

I need to go airs aide now with my colleague who has a record. Endex

I know it's difficult for you, but don't be a dick.

Most airports publish their permit regulations on line. My airport, whilst fastidious in detail, will issue airside passes to those with previous convictions. However, the convictions that fall into the 'permitted' category differ for your CRC, CTC and individual airport, which must all be satisfied to get an airside pass (what type though, red or blue?).

Back