Allowances for women

fbg

Security Directors
Do the trainers make allowances for women? I hope they don't, female BG's are trained to the same exacting standard as the men, but I for one as a female BG and surveillance operative with over 25 years experience know the majority of females do not have the same upper body strengh as men.
As bodyguards it is not our job to fight, but to body cover and remove the VIP.
So what do you all think?

You have answered the question yourself(upper body strength). I think female Bg's should look after women and children and leave the men to the men. I'm not being sexist but its horses for courses. If you have been in the industry for over 25 yrs then i do wonder why you are asking the question. Did you say on another post that you were an instructor on a course.

I hope that women get the same training as men, as in the physical triaining side of things.. I agree on the upper body strength thing, but alot is to do with technique and speed. I have been on a few course not particulary for CP work but general security and there are no dfferent techniques used, all did the same training regardless of gender.

Wouldnt it cause some slight confusion if women were being taught one thing and the men another, especially as its usually team work??

It would be a devastating blow for female CPO's if it was ever announced that there had been allowances made. It's important that a female can instill confidence in her team mates & clients... the only way to do this is for both males & females to value that the training & licencing is unbiased...

you may have to gain a reactionary gap with an a person. if you havent got the upper body or technigue to move a person then you could find yourself in trouble, especially on the 1 on 1 jobs

Dand I asked the question because I get female students asking me the question when they enquire about the course, after we have gone through the no its not all glamorous and no you dont get an allowance for clothing unless you are working for a private client then we get down to the do I have to be as strong as a man, for once I m able to say, ladies size dosent matter it's all about technique. And yes I am an instuctor in CP and Surveillance.

Sh4dow back in the day they did make allowances in the 70's when I first trained I was the first female they had on a course and the instructors didn't know what to do with me.
Thankfully things have changed.
fbg

Black ops youa re right it would be confusing and I threw the question out there as I get asked it by students.
I appreciate all the replies.

fbg

I would be annoyed if it was announced that there has been "allowences" for women training. At the end of the day if your not capable of doing the training, then surely you shouldnt be there in the first place.

Even having a seperate section on here for women is seperateing the sexes dont you think. I would rather have an unbiased opinion or post like Shadow has mentioned before???
As a CP forum isnt it just as well to keep the discussions in the main section intstead of segregating... at the end of the day your a CPO regradless of sex, if you are capable of doing the job and up to standard, then should it does not matter what sex you are.

I agree with Sh4dow an unbiased view, dont know why there needs to be gender segregation within the insudtry. If you are capable of doing the task in hand, it should be regardless of gender.

Hence dont know why there needs to be a seperate female perspective part to the forum.

I am in agreement with the upper body strength, however I do feel as a female that if a situation was going to be difficult and Im having to stand there and think about because it could possibly be dangerous then I shouldnt bloody well be doing the job. Common sense is a greater part of the job and I have to say lookin at the standard of some, not all of both ex and serving military and also Police there does seem to be a distinct lack of common sense. I feel Im more than qualified to say this. Those serving in the forces now are having to face extreme dangers that at my time of service was focused on NI, and in the case of the Police, knives and drugs are more prevelant.There is a part of me that envies them. I feel there should be more done to help them face the realities of civvie street and prepare them for working in the corporate field if they are wishing to work in this area.

I've worked with many female CPOs in the forces and a lot were head and shoulders above the blokes in all aspects, including fitness and strength.

CP is 99% planning and prevention and 1 % reaction to attack.

How often, honestly, have blokes had to battle it out physically? And if good, rapid techniques (fast aggressive action) is employed, it doesn't necessarily matter about strength, unless you're arm wrestling.

There's big (6ft) strong lads putting women down for the lack of strength but there's always someone bigger and stronger than you! Where do you draw the line?

The key is to be a good all rounder, first aid, planning, languages, driving, apearance, attitude.

I don't give any advantage to women on Tac Med courses. They all muck in and carry / drag with the best of them.

There'll always be exceptions to the rule though.

Stay safe

I had issues in my combat training as I was paired with a male that couldn't hit women! Had to change partner as in the field a male might not think twice about hitting a women. Yes we should be treated equally if we want to do the same job

Had exactly the same issue ceejay with one of guys on my course who really had an issue with it, funnily enough he was the one who smacked me in the face and bust my nose during an excercise accidentally, poor guy almost died of shame but it was quite funny

Good points cj & annie... When I was instructing I had a guy who couldn't, just couldn't bring himself to chin a lady (or female should I say as some don't appear to be ladies)... It took all my do to get him so he would...

I'm a firm believer that if i hit a bloke in anger then i'd expect to get one back, don't do all this PC nonsense myself

Do the trainers make allowances for women? I hope they don't, female BG's are trained to the same exacting standard as the men, but I for one as a female BG and surveillance operative with over 25 years experience know the majority of females do not have the same upper body strengh as men.
As bodyguards it is not our job to fight, but to body cover and remove the VIP.
So what do you all think?

Sounds like you make a good point, expressing the importance of recognizing a situation BEFORE it becomes a deadly threat, and taking the necessary actions to prevent an undesirable outcome and maintaining the safety of your client(s), which is far more important longterm.

Best wishes with your continued professional endeavors.

Back