Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Am I suitable for CP work?

Anyone

Hello,

I'm new here; I stumbled across the forum a few days ago and, after browsing for several days, decided that I wanted to join the community. I am here seeking advice, however, I do hope that in time I will be able to make my own contributions.

The title question ("am I suitable for CP work?") is one that I was hoping the community could help me answer. First of all, my situation:

I am currently working as a security officer in a retail store in a busy and relatively rough town (quite severe substance abuse/homelessness problem, high shop theft/violence). The store is based inside of a shopping centre, and I work with PCs/PCSOs/street wardens and security from other stores in a bid to prevent crime in the area.

Whilst I have been in the store for a year, it is my first security job, although I have taken to it very well even if I do say so myself. I've received quite a bit of praise for the work I do and am not ashamed to say it; I make several 'arrests' each week, detect and report thefts that happen on my rest days (I'm the only security officer there) and regularly assist other stores. I've been told that I write good statements, communicate clearly over the radio and handle myself well in confrontations.

The problem I have is that the pay is crap. As you guys will know, the SIA licence is so easy to obtain that as long as you can front the initial cost and count from 1-10, you can work retail security. I know some 'officers' who sit on a podium playing with their phones all day and get paid the same as I do and, well, maybe I'm the fool, but I just can't do that. I need to work hard and do a good job. It must be an ego thing; I couldn't stand the feeling of looking weak/lazy/rubbish at the job. It would kill me!

That said, I've been wondering lately whether CP work would be a natural progression for me, or if, realistically, employers would be looking for those with a police/military background or a more extensive security background instead. Add to that, I am a slim guy who is not physically imposing (although I can handle myself and know when to get aggressive), and I'm thinking that I might struggle to find work. I'm fit as a fiddle, extremely hard working and sharp on the communications/investigative side of things but I get the impression that clients may want a guy with a bit more beef as part of their CP team.

Is it advisable for me to gain more experience before I apply for a CP licence, or will I struggle either way to compete with those of a police/military background?

Apologies for being so long-winded, and thanks in advance to any who reply.

premier

Longterm Registered User
Anyone,

Welcome to CPW, I would seriously consider the fact that you will never work within the CP circuit as you have no experience nor do you have someone to recommend you or better still put you on a team or with a principal.

I’m not saying it will be impossible but it isn’t very plausible, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is an honest answer.
My advice would be work within the security sector move on to door supervisor or CCTV operations and see how you get on.

Good luck

Regards

premier

Anyone

Premier,

Many thanks for your reply. Despite not being what I wanted to hear, I always appreciate a frank answer. I like the idea of progressing within the security industry but it seems ever so difficult. And sadly, any potential I may (or may not) have means very little when all I can prove on paper is that I've nabbed a few druggies for stealing razors!

premier

Longterm Registered User
Anyone,

The company you are working for now may be the best place to further your career in security.
Or the shopping centre in which you are working, you could possibly look to move over to the centre rather than within one of the stores.

There are many avenues to try so do not despair at this stage of your career.

Regards

premier

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
Nope. I'll arm wrestle you for a fiver, .... if you accept you won't be in my company.
No one needs to know if you can, "handle yourself" I'm sure you're some pup but you lost me on that.
Go away.
Network.
Col

Last edited:

MrBlonde

Longterm Registered User
I've posted similar to this before but thought I'd wheel it out again as you seem a sensible chap and no doubt other newbies are on here and reading this.
Almost everyone new aproaches this from their own point of view, without thinking about why the role really exists, what they have to offer the industry or what can make them stand out from the crowd. They post stuff about being new and inexperienced and wanting to make money or have some excitement, then ask if they'll make it.

CP isn't there as a progression path for guys and gals wanting to move up from guarding or bouncing. At all. You may be in one of those roles and have what it takes for CP, but one doesn't feed the other.

CP is there to protect the lives and reputation of VIPs, the rich and the vulnerable (witness protection etc)
It's a very different role to the others, it takes a certain kind of individual and it takes a lot of training and CPD and most don't make it, either because they don't have the contacts to put them forward or because they're just not cut out for the work, they lack a certain-something, they lack the patience, commitment, the natural quirks that'll see them succeed. It's a very mental role, lots of planning and lots of effort to identify and avoid trouble, if you have to rely on being hard and go hands-on to protect the Principal, you've already failed them as you shouldn't have let the threat get that close in the first place.

People hire you to potentially save their life - if you needed life-saving surgery, would you pick someone who did Security work in the Hospital, was good with a knife and fancied having a go, or would you pick a guy who had years of training and experience and could be vouched for by other guys doing the job already?
If you're a Millionaire VIP and could afford to hire the very best to protect the most important things in their life, themselves and their family, is that you?
If you blagged your way on to a job and found as a result of not knowing what you're doing that someone was seriously injured or killed, how would you feel? Unfortunatly lots of selfish guys out there couldn't care less, are you one of them?

Lots of people don't get it, they like to be able to brag down the pub they're a Bodyguard and like how they can pull women and throw their weight about, they lie on their CV to get roles and they bounce around between jobs when they are constantly found out by those who know what they're doing.

The others, the few who make it, and the few who you should aspire to be like, spend years developing themselves, training, learning. They're professionals in the same way a Doctor or a Pilot is, they have something about them you can't teach, and a massive skill set that took years to aquire and they're the sort of person you'd hire if your life depended on it.

If you've the right potential then go for it, but it's not an easy ride and it's certainly not 'career progression' for shop security

Last edited:

Anyone

I've posted similar to this before but thought I'd wheel it out again as you seem a sensible chap and no doubt other newbies are on here and reading this.
Almost everyone new aproaches this from their own point of view, without thinking about why the role really exists, what they have to offer the industry or what can make them stand out from the crowd. They post stuff about being new and inexperienced and wanting to make money or have some excitement, then ask if they'll make it.

CP isn't there as a progression path for guys and gals wanting to move up from guarding or bouncing. At all. You may be in one of those roles and have what it takes for CP, but one doesn't feed the other.

CP is there to protect the lives and reputation of VIPs, the rich and the vulnerable (witness protection etc)
It's a very different role to the others, it takes a certain kind of individual and it takes a lot of training and CPD and most don't make it, either because they don't have the contacts to put them forward or because they're just not cut out for the work, they lack a certain-something, they lack the patience, commitment, the natural quirks that'll see them succeed. It's a very mental role, lots of planning and lots of effort to identify and avoid trouble, if you have to rely on being hard and go hands-on to protect the Principal, you've already failed them as you shouldn't have let the threat get that close in the first place.

People hire you to potentially save their life - if you needed life-saving surgery, would you pick someone who did Security work in the Hospital, was good with a knife and fancied having a go, or would you pick a guy who had years of training and experience and could be vouched for by other guys doing the job already?
If you're a Millionaire VIP and could afford to hire the very best to protect the most important things in their life, themselves and their family, is that you?
If you blagged your way on to a job and found as a result of not knowing what you're doing that someone was seriously injured or killed, how would you feel? Unfortunatly lots of selfish guys out there couldn't care less, are you one of them?

Lots of people don't get it, they like to be able to brag down the pub they're a Bodyguard and like how they can pull women and throw their weight about, they lie on their CV to get roles and they bounce around between jobs when they are constantly found out by those who know what they're doing.

The others, the few who make it, and the few who you should aspire to be like, spend years developing themselves, training, learning. They're professionals in the same way a Doctor or a Pilot is, they have something about them you can't teach, and a massive skill set that took years to aquire and they're the sort of person you'd hire if your life depended on it.

If you've the right potential then go for it, but it's not an easy ride and it's certainly not 'career progression' for shop security
Thanks for the informed reply.

Top Bottom