notgnal

I have.. and will not.... renew Norton on my computor as I am using someone else....now Norton keep sending me messages.."Your computor was just attacked etc..."are Norton carrying out these attacks..?

hi. erm i have norton and they dont do that me. i would just monitor your computer for 5 mins and see how many times it comes up when your doing nothing. if it does come up then you may have a haker (very unlikely) or norton are creating them.

I found the same. Stopped using Norton because it just slowed things down too much. After I removed it I found I was getting simular messages. I tried all the usual anti whatever wear (AVG, Panda, Spy-bot etc) to get shut, but ended up doing a system recovery. Pain in the arse I know but if you are backed up on a data stick or something not too much of a drama.

Symantec/Norton tends to be too bloated in my experience. Best stick with apps that take up less memory.

Here's a few alternatives. AntiVirus Software Review 2009 - TopTenREVIEWS

As for residue after you uninstall using official uninstall procedure, it can leave fragments of unwanted code. Consider using a separate uninstaller such as: Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

Best solution to remove need for these antivirus programs, and untidy windows operating system is simply to switch to linux/bsd. Consider Download - Linux Mint

Regards

Norton is a real pain, they have never been the same since they stopped making motor bikes. My advice is download the free version of AVG anti virus and uninstall Norton and as Dank says use an uninstaller to remove all of the Norton.

I know jack about I.T. and this is happening to me after I tried to remove Norton, Help!! Hopefully Mr Burns will read this thread, he appears to be the resident expert on here.

I have.. and will not.... renew Norton on my computor as I am using someone else....now Norton keep sending me messages.."Your computor was just attacked etc..."are Norton carrying out these attacks..?

there are many free alternatives comodo seem pretty good. you should also disable default admin$ shares , remote registry etc (google it),if you are able you can (as i do) have a second small box with a unix firewall... had no problems since doing this...

The best anti virus application at the moment is NOD32. No BS , it works as designed and doesn't use too many resources.

If you want to remove Norton you first have to shutdown the application. Task Bar, rights side next to the clock there is an icon for Norton. Right click it and choose to shutdown the application before you uninstall it.

Otherwise go to:

start > run > type "services.msc", click "OK"
find any services with Norton or Symantec in the name
right click them and choose "properties"
set those services to "disabled" and "stop" the service

I use Norton Internet Sy 2009. This program, like their Norton 360 is dramatically reduced in size concerning the required memory space usage. I also have Vista and have never had any probs with that either.

In fact I have nay probs as I'm awesome.

..Or maybe just lucky? :D

Rich H

Back