Are we under appreciated as matloes

kaz1983

Full Registered User
Midwales whats your background shipmate?

where you working at the moment? im waiting to fly out to a HE in few weeks as CP. Not bad considering my LOMC background!

stay safe

BenRM

Full Registered User
Hi Harry, yours is a good question and I dont think there is a definitive answer. Alot of it depends on the employer and their attitude towards RN personnel, I'm ex royal and have just started sending my CV out to marsec companies in the last few weeks, I've had good response so far and all being well should be deploying in the next few weeks on my first marsec job. The employer was specifically recruiting ex British military, whether it be marines, navy, army or raf. On the other hand I've seen positions advertised for solely ex marines and others for either ex marines or ex navy. Just because your from the navy doesnt mean you wont get work but royal may pip you to the job for HE work because they are recognised as being a more aggressive body with experience in dealing with hostility.
I know of ex RN guys who work in the industry and do well from it, if there is one thing I've learned quickly its that networking is everything and your in the right place to start doing that. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do, stay safe.

bandook

Longterm Registered User
Just because your from the navy doesnt mean you wont get work but royal may pip you to the job for HE work because they are recognised as being a more aggressive body with experience in dealing with hostility.
QUOTE]

Adrenalins the same colour whichever service you once belonged. What alot of people forget is, what you were 10 years ago, becomes alot less relevant as what you were doing last week!!!!

There are plenty of ex Matelots, on the CP circuit and in Marsec. Just as there are plenty of ex Bootnecks, Perce and Crabs. As for companies preferring to employ one former service over another, I think that is ultimately down to the background of the guys that own/run the company. Its got nothing to do with RM being a more aggressive body, with experience in dealing with hostility. Within marsec the ability to tie a decent round turn and two half hitches would'nt go amiss, but some basic seamanship is often overlooked in favour of someone who can spin dits and looks good in a mirror.

We're all Mr's now and to be honest, if you've got a good cv and it lands on the desk of the recruiter at the right time you'll deploy. It also comes down to if you know someone in the company who can vouch for you!! There is plenty of work about, in CP and in Marsec for all walks of former serviceman. You just have to crack on and keep going, if you get knocked back, try again.

Having said that.

If you were a 12 year AB chef, trying to get into Marsec with a namet 9:9, colour blind and as overweight as the embarassment hauling down the ensign on the Ark Royal the other day, then I think I'd be thinking of working in a pie shop instead of marsec or cp!!!