Assaulted whilst working

raymond67

Full Registered User
Hi guys, wonder whether you can help!

Bit of background. Working on the door a couple of weeks ago. Coupla guys starting being mouthy to some of my mates working the door whilst I was inside - tend to keep myself to myself and act as more of a deterrent. Anyway, poked my head round the door to see what was happening and the guy with the mouth took one look at me and said I'm not gonna hav you you big f****** I'm just gonna do your motor. Anyway I chased after him as my car was the only one parked outside and he ran up the road. Anyway whilst watching him run down the road someone that had been ejected from the club earlier for stealing came up from behind and whacked me over the head with a road sign. Deep gash now to the back of my head and cant feel my left ear!!!

Am I covered by the insurance of the revenue or the door company providing the door personnel?

Appreciate any advice

:cool:

I am not an expert on insurance companies, but the bad news here might be that you’re not. The insurance company could argue that if you were off the premises at the time you’re not covered. If you’re not covered and you know who hit you, you might be able to claim from them.
Just been talking to a mate on the other side of the pond, apparently there’s an insurance company over there that’s trying to get out of paying the families of victims killed in an arson attack on an office block. The company claims that cause of death was smoke inhalation not fire. There for cause of death was pollution and that’s not covered by the policy.
It’s got me checking all my policies (again).

Possibly not. As the venue could argue you was bopped over the head, not in the course of your duties but in chasing someone down the street cause he had threatened to damage your car... Bit of an idle threat I would have thought, as how would he have known your car?

Bit like the "I'm gonna burn your house down" threat... My standard reply.. "Would you like the address then?"

I would imagine that your claim would be put in the "not bloody likely" tray because you left the premises.

I worked a door a few years ago and one of the DS went chasing an oxygen thief because of such a threat, he subsequently lost his job because of it.

Heno

How long have you been on doors Ray? Threats come think and fast in some places and if you went chasing each and every one of them you'd not only spend more time off your door than on it, you'd probably be the fittest doorman in the land.

What were your intentions if you caught him, out of interest?

I would say that as you had technically left the premises you will find that any insurer reagrdless of who's will either straight not or do there best not to cover any claim.

No mans land as soon as you leave the premises.

Best bet if you know who its was and have reported will be the criminal imjuries board but they'll pay any compensation you manage to win at £1.25per week if at all.

I think the premises these days hasn't much to do with it, as I'm sure I heard the new licencing laws required club and pub security to be responsible for trouble outside their premises, especially from ejected patrons. So no doubt insurance policy's should have changed.

You should be entitled to a payout from the criminal injuries board.. If you report it to the police and fully cooperate I think you'll get something!

new licencing laws required club and pub security to be responsible for trouble outside their premises, especially from ejected patrons.
True, but I doubt any insurance company would pay up for a D/S hurt while chasing someone who has made a hollow threat down the street...

Raymond

I think if you get the general opinion in here - you PROBABLY aren't covered by the insurance from the venue or the door company as you were not (as previously mentioned) carrying out your duties as required.

The venue hires a door company to provide door supervisors to protect the customers, staff and contents/buildings of the premises only.

The small print (which is often ommited from any contract or paperwork) is different depending on the venue itself, but the general rule of thumb is that, for example, if the venue is on a "typical" road with a path outside, then your insurance will cover you while inside the premises, or on the "immediate vicinity" (ie, ON the path outside the premises, BUT NOT on the road, or past the extremeties of the building).

This area is covered and controlled by your Police force, and any criminal damages must be sought via them.

If the actions were captured on CCTV - you may find that yes, whoever hit you from behind could be pursued for a compen payout, BUT BE WARNED - as Scab asked - the Police will be very interested in why you chased the other individual up the road, what your intentions were (and remember, you CAN actaully be charged with "intent" even if you do not lay a finger on them (not many people realise this).

All of this may out-weigh the plus points of trying to get a pay-out - (which will probably be a tiny weekly amount)

Could I ask - are you the only doorman on the venue or are you part of a pair/team?

I have worked the doors for many years - head doorman at a couple of large nightclubs in the NorthEast for a few years too, and to be honest - If one of my doormen had chased someone up the street, during work hours, just for a threat - I'd probably give him a clip myself - what would have happened if an altercation had started in the venue while you were running away?

Little bit of advice - and I mean this as "friendly advice" - When you are at work - DO YOUR JOB. Nothing less. Don't leave, don't stand and chat up all the women, don't turn a blind eye to anything. And when you are threatened - PLAY IT BY THE BOOK - trust me - you will lose count of them.

If I chased everyone who had threatened me - I could have collected enough miles to run twice round the world.

Oh - and last bit of advice. Park somewhere else - even if it means a 5 minute walk.

Sorry if this sounds arrogant or "know it all", but I hope it helps - to yourself and anyone out there in the same game.

All the best everyone.

DS.

There are a lot of poor views on this but dont dispair. There are a few possibilities;

1) As your injury occured while you were working it might be classed as an industrial injury. As a result you might be entitled to industrial injuries disablement benefit providing the effects of the injury were more than transient and altered your ability to do things (even stress is taken into account)

2) As the injury (from what you have written) is the result of a criminal offence, you might be entitled to compensation directly from the courts (if he is convicted) or via the Criminal Injuries Compensation Agency (CICA) even if he is not caught/arrested/convicted. both of these routes are subject to checks and assessments and may take a while to go through.

The other option is talk to a solicitor, dependant upon your contract of employment and what you were supposed to be doing there may be a claim via your employers insurance as; allthough you were off site - if you were attempting to prevent a breach of the peace / criminal act (as is likely to be in your T&C's) and were assaulted by a person you had earlier ejected there may be a claim.
However, bare in mind that this does not make it your employers fault and unless they/you have a specific policy covering employees for injury you may end up costing them thousands in solicitors fees for no result. The knock on effect could be reduction of revenue leading to reduction in wages / staff etc etc. Just think seriously first. a) while it was unpleasant, have you really suffered any losses or did you get sick pay? b)what do you hope to achieve through this? will it dramatically improve how you and your colleagues work for example?

Hope this is of some help.

As previously stated you may have problems claiming. However even if you don't know who hit you, you may be able to claim through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. You will need to report the incident to the police to get a crime number though.

apparently there’s an insurance company over there that’s trying to get out of paying the families of victims killed in an arson attack on an office block. The company claims that cause of death was smoke inhalation not fire. There for cause of death was pollution and that’s not covered by the policy.
It’s got me checking all my policies (again).

this is shocking!!! sick money making b**tard insurance company

Raymond67. I can see some problems with this one straight away.
1. You were off the premises, and effectively outside your juristiction.
2. You were pursuing some one who had not commited a crime.
3. was your assailant apprehended.
4. Is it on camera.
5. could your actions be seen as aggressive.
6. Did you report it to the police
7. Did you note and time it in a duty log for the manager.
8. Who was in danger.?
9. Why would you park YOUR car in harms way. How did he know it was yours.
10. Where was your back up, at least a 'wing man', if not 'the holy trinity'.
11. Let the front of house staff deal with their problems.

We get very little sympathy, aid or consideration at the best of times.
if we put ourself in harms way, we can expect none.
I have found that most employers and venues have inadequate insurance cover concerning our safety. Don't forget you are seen as an necessary expense, not an asset. Will the SIA get involved on your behalf, try em and see what they say.
Some how I think this is going to be a case of learn from our mistakes.
We have in the past had a bucket fund collected at the door from the punters for DS injured in the line of duty. We have done so well sometimes, that I had considered becoming a bullet catcher, but i don't like pain.

Was this formally reported to the Police ? Was a Crime Ref given to you? if so you may/may not be able to claim some sort of Criminal Compensation. Ask oddjob as he is bound to know as he's had a few thumps in the past although I must add not from behind. Who was watching yours ? Drills and Skills. JT.

In light of this incident you best check the Insurance Cover (if any) don't let them fob you off with just the Public and Employer Liability bits you need to see whats is called the Schedule which will show you what in fact is covered very much like the standard 7 for Man Guarding cover.

If you need any professional advise speak to Freda (Nice Lady) at Camberford Law based in Bromley as they do an excellant DS Package for both individuals and companies alike.

Back