Associated Risks Group Live Firearms in the UK?

Regan90

Full Registered User
So I was checking up on the ARG site and it claims to use live rounds for rifles in the UK. As far as I know it's only the army and police who can do that? I could be wrong. Has anyone been with ARG for training? Are their claimes true? Or have I missed something.

Thanks guys and gals

Regan.

I think the Isle of Man is the only place in the UK to allow live firing to the public. I may be wrong..............

I would imagine that they have membership to an approved rifle club, there are a few in Sussex. I think there is dispensation as a guest that would allow you to shoot rifles of .22 calibre. Either that or their training people to load muskets ;-)

If you look closely at the weapons they are using , you will find they are airsoft weapons, although reasonable for training purposes they ARE not live weapons. the mp5k clearly showing the turning/turner on the magazine. RAM weapons are quite good for weapon training , but to be honest just pay the money go overseas and do the real thing. gets you the basics much quicker and cheaper.

They have a live indoor range where they do use live shotgun and 5.56 rounds. They use .22 rounds on there 60 metre outdoor range. Its based in hartlepool, Bob Dunkley has all the relevant licenses as he's one of 5 or so masters in the world, google his name or phone them up.

As far as I can see from their videos on their web page and those you provided from youtube they use semiauto .22 replicas, take a look on the moment they are charging the mags they pack .22 rounds there. And as someone beforeme said it clearly (although in smallprint) states on their web that for pistol exercises they use airsoft. On the top of that listen to the video for some1 who has done any shooting at the indoor range with 5.56 or 7.62 it's obvious they are not using that ammo, far to quiet ;)
Not even touching the topic of the purpose of this "killhouse" exercise in the context of CP work.

Ah well that clears that up, I've only used 22. on indoor ranges. And only every used 5.56 on out door, so I wouldn't know what it sounds like inside. But thank you!

Regan.

Hi fellas new to the forum, would any of you guys recommend this course as it on my doorstep?, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Just a thought - NI is UK - the gun laws are different here - there are a few TP's who can put you through proper firearms training using firearms - have a look via the search bar or online for more info....................

Sorry - by proper I mean 9mm/5.56mm/7.62mm pistol/rifle etc (automatic not allowed) - without leaving the UK - not taking anything away from any mainland based TP's! thats not my intention! :)

Having watched the videos on arg's website they are using what looks to me like plug fire guns. They are made to be realistic in that they eject a spent case and I believe they fire like a paint ball or bb.
They wouldn't be able to run a course using live firearms even .22rf's as they would have to be a home office approved rifle club and each person who is not a member and has passed the club probationary membership and is in possession of a current FAC has to be approved by the local police.
Add to this insurance and the need of RCO's it wouldnt be realistic.

I don't know mate about now, but at the time this thread was started they actually had clear information (tho in small print) at their web page stating that the carabine classes they run are utilising .22 and pistol classes use airsoft pistols. So there go your real life trigger control and recoil control exercises ;)
But hey I maybe wrong maybe something has changed since then...

PS
the info still is there:
Weapons
Full proficiency gained on all the following firearms:
• CO2 powered
Sig 228
Glock 17,
Beretta 92f
and again here
# Please note that any training involving pistols during this live firing longs course are CO2 simulated weapons and not live 9mm due to existing UK legislation.
Please note that all live firearms are in .22 calibre M4 rifles,
So my bad that's not electric or green gas ASG replicas, but CO2 weapons according to them.

Last edited:
Its .22 semi automatics they use for practising close qaurter drills. I dont see a problem with using a .22 to practise drills, its safer for the person learning and cheaper. What the difference between target shooting and CQC its the drills or am I wrong?

I am not qualified to give a judgement here but looking at how modern rifles are going theres less and less Recoil. Most modern Assault rifles it seems are using 5.45x39mm. The chinnese, Nato, Russia are all using this round.

AK74 Fun gun 5.45x39 No Recoil - YouTube

No Recoil or Muzzle climb with my M-16 - YouTube

You can still fire a 9mm Lever release assault rifles in the UK the law has changed. SGC 9mm AR15 Lever Release MK2 Gallery Rifle - YouTube I dont know if companys in the UK are using lever release assault rifles to train with but its an option.

Back