Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Association of Professional Security Operatives

Oddjob

Its not all about pay it is about representation, our rep as an industry IS suffering thats obvious to all, the powers that be must be made to apply their own rules and standards . we are more likely to do this as acollective and not as individuals.
The lunatics HAVE taken over the asylum.

AthenaIntelligence

Longterm Registered User
It's all about money!

Being well thought of is no good if bills cannot be paid.

But I agree it is a vicious circle... market supply - market demand - skill base -reputation -renumeration etc etc.

Good luck in any endeavours. I hope they work out as you would wish and that some additional 'monster' isn't created out of the best of intentions.

Mal

Full Registered User
All. You have my support.
I don't believe it will make a damn bit of difference what we call ourselves until we have convinced the "powers that be" that we are not a toothless tiger.

To achieve this we need to have an elected "Committee" from across the spectrum of this forum. They then need to put together a list of best practice and recommendations (not set standards as that will increase cost). This should then be placed on the forum for constructive NOT destructive criticism/comment. This list should have a cut off period for discussion, after which the proposals should be voiced to the SIA, Government & the industry as a whole for comment.

By doing this, the existing and future "powers that be" will see that the signed up members of the industry are not happy with what has been taking place and could have the capacity in future for "self governance".

For that to happen, we need the majority of Training organisations, employers & employees to take on board these recommendations and implement best practice.

Looking forward to your "constructive" comments....LOL xxxx

Mal

Full Registered User
Also add to this that the SIA are looking for a new CEO (as posted by Massimino 170209), it could be a great time for change, IF they employ someone with a security background....probably not but it is still a chance.

hippy

Also add to this that the SIA are looking for a new CEO (as posted by Massimino 170209), it could be a great time for change, IF they employ someone with a security background....probably not but it is still a chance.
Mal,
I have applied for the position, however I must argue the need for the ceo to have a security background... The person needs to be able to lead an organisation, not understand the needs of the security operative... That task rests with the middle managers of the sia.....

Mal

Full Registered User
Point taken Hippy, but it would be great to have the person at the top off the tree with an understanding of what his personnel do and not just rely on his middle management to steer the ship...God knows where it might end up!!!!
I know you have applied and good luck.

Oddjob

It's all about money!

Being well thought of is no good if bills cannot be paid.

But I agree it is a vicious circle... market supply - market demand - skill base -reputation -renumeration etc etc.

Good luck in any endeavours. I hope they work out as you would wish and that some additional 'monster' isn't created out of the best of intentions.
Serious question not my usual ravings

Who is out there for us now ?
Do we have a list of organisations that are in the offing already.
Any one a member out there that could ask your reps to post, their views and agenda here.
Yes, agreed; Lets not create another monster, with you on that, but find some one with a proven track record for sensible assistance and representation. Some one with teeth. With you on that one.
Its the divisions that will destroy us.
We work for pay but so do the cretins, how can an employer or end user differentiate between us currently, other than a post work judgement.
We are often judged as a team by the weakest link.
I'm fed up of filling in the gaps on jobs for lazy no hopers working cheap.
Terribly put, sorry.
But I feel, unity will make us more powerful in the end.

Belfort

Longterm Registered User
I'm sorry.. only now I noticed this thread.

The funny thing in this is that I have a mate who works for the SIA - he checks door licences - and he also blames the SIA for the low standards and wages on all areas.. LOL!

Anyway, I am with all of you guys. Let's start it!

Belfort.

Ladies and gentlemen, I suggest the first step is to form an association (call it what you will, perhaps based on the membership of this forum).

Then from that draw up a set of professional ethics and code of conduct that each member of the association would adhere to.
Members of the association then append to their cv's that they adhere to the associations code of professional conduct. Employers clients etc who feel that a member has breached the code of conduct could make a complaint to the association and an elected committee could decide sanctions on the member if warranted, utimately expellation if serious enough.

Thus you have the embryo of self regulation to nuture and develop.

Next question will inevitably be whats in it for the membership?

I believe that from this association, due to its openness and fairness to employers,employees, representative bodies etc a respect from all sides would develop and slowly but surely such association would gain power and respect and with it the ability to use leverage for the good of all.

Rome was not built in a day, neither would such an organisation be, the first step is to canvas the membership of this forum, decide if this is the way ahead, members put themselves forward for agreed positions and a cyber election held. The committee then draw up a professional code of standards which each member endorses and adheres too.

Thus you have the beginning of a snowball to roll and gather mass and momentum.

A few questions for considerations:
- what would be the standard?
- are the standards going to be worldwide?
- a database for members with training manuals, information about the industrie etc.
- low cost to make it available for everybody who meets the standard
- alone for cp or also for tscm, surveillance, search dogs etc.

http://drafts.bsigroup.com. BS 8507-2:2009 British standards code of practice for close protection services. This will go on the British Standards Website 1st April. Register and post comments on the draft if you feel the need.

guv73

Full Registered User
I'm happy to be involved, if set about correctly, changes need to me made but thought and dignity, not just raw passion! great idea though so lets get going, hussar :)

D

Deleted member 33

I would back anything that would have the slightest chance of improving standards amongst those that do not have any government related experience.

Rich H

Legioner

Longterm Registered User
Would be on the boat if i can be usefull in any way!:)
But what we hope to get from (sorry just discovered)?
Higher wages better working conditions?
Regarding oversea HE Jobs?
Or security in general?
National or international?

Whats with all the " lets improve industry standards "? Industry by definition is the "production of goods" all that the security 'industry' produces is hot air!!! Close Protection and all the other camp following security services are just that! a service!! we are a "Security Service"

However the word 'Industry' is a modern bastardisation brought about during the "Industrial Revolution" twisted from the Latin word INDUSTRIA which actually translates as "diligent activity directed to some purpose."

Security in latin has a number of translations dependant on the slant given however...OBSIDIS is to pledge surety

An association or group is CONGRESSUS

So if you wish to do something about the "industry" and improve standards why not form a SECURITY INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION? stuff! just googled that and its taken by some oxygen thieving organisation

However OBSIDIS INDUSTRIA CONGRESSUS (OIC) is up for grabs!!!

WWMT

DSAdam2009

Full Registered User
Hey everybody!

I am not personally a CPO as I only completed my DS couse a month ago but I am very very interested in becoming a CPO and I just thought I would give you all a warning.

My DS course was Goverment funded which I thought a good idea personally because I can see the point as when the Olympics come round there will be a large demand for DS and probably CPO's but what has worried me is that I have been informed (As well as the 21 other people on my DS course, and probably all their friends and family and every other goverment funded DS course!) that the Goverment are considering funding the CP course and when the Guys who were running the course asked who would be interested I looked round at some of the people and I could tell just from looking that their hearts were not in to the idea as you could just about see the pound signs in their eyes and it did p*ss me off, as I have wanted to be a CPO for as long as I can remember and I feel personally that my heart is fully into it and I know I would rather skrimp and save and pay the £3-6000 and get trained alongside other indaviduals that really want to do it than train alongside every Tom, Dick and Harry that are only doing it for either the thought of the money or the "Rep" of being a CPO to impress their friends!

Just thought I would share this information as if you are to do anything it needs to be done FAST as I was told it should be between 9 to 12 months and then it should be getting funded! I hope this information helps!

Adam!

Top Bottom