Baton Torch

grinny

Full Registered User
Hi Guys,

I need some advice!

Does anybody know of a baton size torch i.e something that will fit in a 21" asp baton holder?

Thanks,

Grinny

Advice, don't get one! Big, heavy, awkward and can potentially get you in a lot of trouble if you use it as a 'baton'....

I know what you mean mate but I have this big space I don't like on my belt when I'm in the UK! Want to fill it with something, no intention of using it as a baton :)

I know what you mean mate but I have this big space I don't like on my belt when I'm in the UK! Want to fill it with something, no intention of using it as a baton :)

Packet of smarties?? perhaps a sherbet fountain?

Honestly, if your biggest concern is that you have an empty space on your kit belt - i think you have bigger concerns than the space on your kit belt. Namely, the overwhelming desire to dress as though you have been spanked with a patrol store catalouge (other suppliers are available).

This place takes no hostages eh? awesome! I make no comment on Grinny's request, I never judge a journey till I've walked that path but I am enjoying a very discreet chuckle... Good luck with your search grinny but I feel that there are some very serious points made here?

Carl

I'd agree with the suggestions that you're a lucky lad indeed if you have an empty space to carry some gear - and can't decide what to fill it with. It's never happened to me - I always find I've got more items that i would like to carry, but can't bring them because of weight or volume. So it requires good judgment to decide what you really need.

If you want to whack people with a baton torch - you can do so in certain dark alleys in third world locations. It may not be completely appropriate in the UK because too many criminals are suffering from the problem of being able to hire a competent lawyer. But in the third world that's not an issue. The only problem is that the guys in the stinking third world alleys are already AFTER YOU ... that's why they are there - and there's generally about 8-10 of them. So be extra good with that torch, mate :)

Otherwise, torches that are 20-inches long would be incredibly heavy because of the batteries, and really not worth having to defend yourself. They are just too slow in a fight. Get something lighter and be accurate. Around the city streets of Africa I might have something clipped to my backpack - like a small broom, possibly with a short wooden handle or a solid polypropylene handle. It's quite light, but very robust. If anyone asks why I've got it, then I'm going to clean my car. But it's a good defense against a (single) random attacker with a knife or a club. A simpler option, like a tightly rolled-up newspaper (secured with a couple of rubber bands), will also work in a pinch.

KL

Get a small but powerful torch with a CREE LED like something from Fenix - fairly cheap and very bright, you temporarily blind your attacker then have about 10 seconds to kick their head in before they can see you again. Nice and light too, plus you don't have any issues with local Police wanting to know why you're carrying such an oversized torch (they aren't stupid, they know exactly why you want it)

Get a small but powerful torch with a CREE LED like something from Fenix - fairly cheap and very bright, you temporarily blind your attacker then have about 10 seconds to kick their head in before they can see you again. Nice and light too, plus you don't have any issues with local Police wanting to know why you're carrying such an oversized torch (they aren't stupid, they know exactly why you want it)
I'm sure you meant to say, "disable them long enough to get yourself somewhere safe and report the matter to the police".

Grinny, skip the 'baton' esk torch. Its too much trouble these days. Remember that image can be affected by carrying such an item. Doors ive worked with dont like me carrying a spray (RW), or some call me a pussy for wearing a stab vest. Now turning up with a fully loaded utility belt with a 6 cell mag will just make you a target for not only customer abuse but also ridicule from fellow members of staff.

The more you have on the belt, the harder it is to scrap in the middle of a crowded dance floor. There is a reason why law enforcement ditched the old style battons for expandable...operational (and image).

Avoid the aggro, and get a nice LED lenser with 180+ lumens, does the job better. You need a 'batton' join the police

Not aimed at any individual or specific example on this thread, but a general observation that I feel is relevant to the discussion.

Over the years I have met so many people in the security industry who become besotted with carrying personal weapons, even though it is rarely legal, sensible or even effective to do so. I've seen every kind of "combat" pen, "combat" torch, kobutan, mini baton and, far more common than you'd like to think, CPOs carrying knives. Not only do the vast majority of these people have absolutely no idea how to use the weapon they are carrying, they give no consideration to weapon retention, escalating the threat, legal ramifications and reputational consequences.

Professional operators in the security industry, especially those paid to be the last line of defence to a principal, should carry a high degree of tested skill in unarmed combat. If not, why are you there? Anyone can hit someone over the head with a torch, any muppet can order a knife or a kobutan for a tenner on the web, what exactly are you bringing to the table? If I was paying someone a few hundred notes a day to look after my wife, or my kids, I'd want a return on that investment, I want to know that I'm buying a skillset. From what I continue to see across the industry, that skillset is sadly lacking.

You can take your unarmed skills anywhere. They don't fill up your belt, they don't beep when you go through airport security, and they are with you 24/7/365. We've talked a lot about standards in the industry, this is a standard that I think is way down there, which is why Killer Joe's Online Emporium of Deadly Weapons is doing a roaring trade.

Something to think about.

M

all you need on a belt is....radio, small torch pouch (2x AA cell is fine) and a first aid kit (if you want it) Spray holders, cuff holders, massive pouches, water bottle holders (unless you are a patrol unit), glove bags. If you do carry RedWeb or whatever, you have a pocket, its better to keep things like that in your pocket rather than belt

" From what I continue to see across the industry, that skillset is sadly lacking.

I absolutely agree with you that guys who work professionally should have their own system and stay crisp in it. I think the important thing is for each individual to have their own "system" and be training it constantly.

It would be really an advantage if this forum had a place where short video clips ("private YouTubes") could be posted that show and explain explain the systems. I'm not talking about advertisements or blurbs - just very short video clips that possibly get some points across. It's not like people will actually use them for training, but it might foster some good discussion and it could help to motivate people.

But unless a restricted area can be established that is limited to vetted members, it could do more harm than good. Anyway, just something to think about.

KL

Last edited:
" It would be really an advantage if this forum had a place where short video clips ("private YouTubes") could be posted that show and explain explain the systems. I'm not talking about advertisements or blurbs - just very short video clips that possibly get some points across. It's not like people will actually use them for training, but it might foster some good discussion and it could help to motivate people.KL

Cracking idea.

Back