Best method of access

Hi

Has anyone had any dealings with access control systems (swipe cards). Been in post since April and new to this role, the hospital I work for has just moved over to an upgraded system but unfortunately the database and groupings needs fully re profiling. This involves 3500 staff and 300 access doors. Anyone else had to tackle a similar issue, any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Has anyone had any dealings with access control systems (swipe cards). Been in post since April and new to this role, the hospital I work for has just moved over to an upgraded system but unfortunately the database and groupings needs fully re profiling. This involves 3500 staff and 300 access doors. Anyone else had to tackle a similar issue, any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't be daunted by the numbers involved. I'm assuming that you have all the relevant data like full details of the upgrade, the devices, their names and locations and which boards and comms cabs they're routed to so you have a comprehensive list. Depends how radical the re-profiling is vis a vis the system you had in place before? I'd keep it as simple as you possibly can given the type of location you are at, but consider adopting a 'need to go' approach with each group of people moving around the building. Your HR dept should be able to give you a list of all staffing groups, and you can of course create your own as appropriate.

Also ensure that the naming convention for the devices is logical so that the security team can understand it and know what they are looking for should breaches or problems occur. Most swipe access systems will allow you to programme levels so you can restrict access to groups down to the last minute of any day or staff level. Apologies if you knew all of this, but if you need to know anything more specific, am happy to help if I can.

My current client has had a very similar issue, the system in use is part of a security package within a business management system. Numbers of staff are similar to yours, it is a a little daunting as the different groups of staff who use the building have time and access restrictions on the cards. The way forward was to actually designate one person to manage the process - with possibly one or two other staff involved in data input ect.

As a matter of interest do you have a LSMS in place? if so he / she should be leading up this work. PM me if you require further assistance.

Thanks for your reply larpy. I am the designated person for the task, there are a couple who input the basic info on the system but I designate the access, groups etc. getting there slowly as we are moving all the departments over from fob access and reissuing with new id prox cards. It is difficult to allow timed access for the majority of stff as being a Hospital the majority of staff work shifts but we have timed access for visitors/ contractors. For information my manager is the current LSMS and I will be the second LSMS hopefully by the end of next week. :)

Back