Best sim card?

j4128

Full Registered User
please dont say do a search, i have and nothing came up though im sure it has been covered before.

anyone recommend the best sim card for roaming, as fed up of having a million different sims for each country, was looking at worldsim on the plane, look quite good rates but wondering if anyone can recommend cheaper?

Hi j4128,

I bought a world sim online and paid around $50 and it came with $10 credit.

I would not reccommend buying one as Unfortunately it didn't work too well. I couldn't get any signal in Egypt or Oman (the main places I work).

I would steer clear of this one mate.

Just a point on Sim Cards and to clarify something, a Sim Card stores data that allows the phone to connect to a network, it has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with signal strength and has nothing to do with the antenna on the phone, its just flash memory.

The phone needs to be getting a signal for the Sim card to connect the phone to the network, it could be that the Sim card is damaged (quite common).

I had actually heard fairly good things about WorldSim though but am glad i didnt get one now :D

I see what your saying Mick.

I seen this simcard advertised on airlines as well as online so thought it would be a sound buy however, like I say turned out to be not so good.

Unfortunately for me I actually bought 2 - one for me and one for the missus and we both had problems. Customer service wasn't too good either.

I dont actually have any of this problem whilst i am away as i turn my phone off most of the time and it's extremely rare for me to use it for phone calls, if i am on ship then i use the inmarsat or iridium that the ship's crew use and on land then i just email, the good lady will often text me but i am too tight fisted to want to spend money talking about nothing (unless of course its urgent) when an email will do :D

I see it all the time, and hear of people with massive phone bills, in fact one bloke i worked with was warned about the phone bill he was going to get because he was on it all the time, then found out that he was sitting at around £400, it didnt worry him until he got the next bill for £1000 :D

My phone is more an alarm clock than anything else :D

Hi j1428,

I use a lebara sim you get them free off the web site, there is also a rate tracker on there so you will know exactly how much each country is before you go. It ranges from about 10p a min in Egypt upto 29p a min in Oman. I got 2 one for me and one for the dragon and never had any issues.

Hi j1428,

I use a lebara sim you get them free off the web site, there is also a rate tracker on there so you will know exactly how much each country is before you go. It ranges from about 10p a min in Egypt upto 29p a min in Oman. I got 2 one for me and one for the dragon and never had any issues.

I bet she dosnt read your posts loll,

Hi j1428,

nice one dude! that is very helpfull, as cheaper than world sim and if its free then thats saved 30 odd dollars already. sweet

well according to that website its £3.49 to ring from egypt to home? so what is the truth?

how much does it cost to ring a mobile in the uk from lets say egypt, dubai and sri lanka

It generally charges me anything between £1-£2.50 per min which is still very expensive however it's something I need to call agent etc... I'm not one of these people to call home every couple of hours as once I'm at work I'm at work. Also I find lobar good as it's pay as you go so you have much more control over what your spending.

There is a couple of apps I use to resolve this problem of talking to the missus and freinds in UK when I'm away. As long as you have Internet which most of the hotels I go to do. There is whatsapp or I use viber - they basically give you free texts and calls to other people with the app providing you both have Internet - pretty good!

It generally charges me anything between £1-£2.50 per min which is still very expensive however it's something I need to call agent etc... I'm not one of these people to call home every couple of hours as once I'm at work I'm at work. Also I find lobar good as it's pay as you go so you have much more control over what your spending.

There is a couple of apps I use to resolve this problem of talking to the missus and freinds in UK when I'm away. As long as you have Internet which most of the hotels I go to do. There is whatsapp or I use viber - they basically give you free texts and calls to other people with the app providing you both have Internet - pretty good!

bugger that then, thats more expensive than a contract?! world sim is about 40p a min to ring home on.

im not a welfare, need to ring home every ten mins, kind of person either, just when i do occasionaly i want it to be cheap as possible

Agreed. Although as I mentioned world sim didn't work for me.

Try gymsim mate. I've heard very good things about them.

Back