Best way to go about this...

medicgirl

Longterm Registered User
Ok , so this is the situation. The area I live in is part of a brand new estate with some properties still being built. Just lately there has been a spate of cold-callers supposedly selling all sorts, and asking questions from like "do you own your home?" "do you have a dog?" Or "Is that a Dog I hear" "when are you likely to be in, so I can call again" that sort of stuff.
The Police have been called onto the estate attempting to speak to these people but have so far not managed to find them.
Houses have been marked for burgulary and indeed some have had break-ins and attempted break ins.

Incidently my house has been "marked " for a while and I've left the markings up,because they seem to be indicating that the home is "alarmed and too risky" and indeed we've so far not received these callers like my neighbours.
Some of us are wondering if it would be a peace of mind to have a security company patrol the estate and we could all "chip in"
How does this idea stand in legal terms, is it going to be welcomed by the police most likely?
I just wanted to get some other perspectives on this idea, and I don't want to be the one footing the entire bill if neighbours say they will contribute but then don't.
As you can tell this is new territory for me, not my usual area of expertise whatsoever!

Depends on the income levels of the residents and what you want to achieve.

Having a marked van drive though on irregular patrols would be ideal, and cost will depend on frequency.

It will be extremely difficult to get everyone to buy in and ultimately a few will end up beating the brunt of the cost.

Is there a management company?

If so, you will be paying an annual charge to them. It is worth putting it to a vote and if the majority agree then it will be costed and added to the management charges.

One of my clients companies do this for a couple of high end estates in Dublin. The management company employ them and Bill all the residents. There is a vehicle based there which also does other nightly checks and inspections in the area. It also responds to alarms calls. The idea is that for about 60% of the night it patrols the estate but is free to leave on other business. It means that there is a virtually permanent but very unpredictable presence there all the time, which burglars hate!

Another option would be monitored CCTV, not sure of UK costs but X per day is the norm.

Obviously you will have the capital cost of installing kit and ongoing maintenance on top of that so probably not a runner.

Talk to the local security company's and get a feel for prices etc for random inspections. Put up lots of signs and make sure any patrols are random and not predictable. And make sure you are getting daily reports of the times and durations of the patrols, using a dash cam might not be the worst thing in the world?

Also talk to the local security company/plod to see what other areas the callers have been. A description of any vans cars etc...And the general security of the property like leaving a light on when you go out, make sure that on the ground level you cannot look into the house to see if anyone is in. Lock all windows and doors if you don't want to splash out on cctv the get some fake cameras that have the cable running from them maybe in through a closed window watching. The blind areas, such as the back garden especially if it runs into a field or lane.if you are going away ask a neighbour to watch your mail, papers etc make sure that the mail not lying on the door mat...obviously Xmas is the time of the year when everyone gets the new expensive kit.

TMAC That was exactly my thoughts, thank you so much for your input. You'll see by my profile that my expertise is limited to Medical and Surveillance topics and I've never worked with Mobile security companies. I will look through the directory and make a few enquiries. x

Thank you Paddy for taking time out to respond. I am very security aware (many years in the industry) and my home is secure, thank you, as I posted I have been marked out for being a risky target and they are targeting neighbours with less security instead. I do appreciate the advice though, were I a novice that would be very helpful. We have great enhanced security at home and in the street we do look out for neighbours but are considering a mobile security unit - something I've never been involved with. I've never had much to do with the general local security companies that operate patrols, wasn't sure how much this might cost as a ball park figure given the size of the estate etc. Any further input is appreciated!

Hi with that advice you could go around the neighbourhood and advise your neighbours and gain a lot of friends....it will also make you the neighbour of the year.....merry xmas

Thank you Paddy for taking time out to respond. I am very security aware (many years in the industry) and my home is secure, thank you, as I posted I have been marked out for being a risky target and they are targeting neighbours with less security instead. I do appreciate the advice though, were I a novice that would be very helpful. We have great enhanced security at home and in the street we do look out for neighbours but are considering a mobile security unit - something I've never been involved with. I've never had much to do with the general local security companies that operate patrols, wasn't sure how much this might cost as a ball park figure given the size of the estate etc. Any further input is appreciated!

Look at the local security company's, it not the big ones like G4 Stupid or Securitarse. The smaller owner operator will jump at the chance to make an extra couple of quid per week and will be proactive. The opportunity to get loads of his signs up will also be a sweetener.

Paddy is also correct in saying that you should take to all the neighbours. A bit of community spirit can go a long way.

Maybe even do a fund raiser to get a bit of cash together to pay for a trial period with a security co?

As you can tell this is new territory for me, not my usual area of expertise whatsoever!
After watching "Rent A Cop" on BBC they charge £3.50/week for regular patrols. I would imagine that is the going rate and the ways things are going.:(

After watching "Rent A Cop" on BBC they charge £3.50/week for regular patrols. I would imagine that is the going rate and the ways things are going.:(

Fair point, but if someone offered to do it for £3.50 a week I'd be walking away....in fact, I'd pay them to stay away!!!

Thank you so much guys. I rang around and have been told a patrol is £18 and another company £25! Whoa,wasn't quite expecting it to be this much! There is much debate around the correct course of action including: A group of the men taking it in turns to go out (I've strongly objected to this obviously) Just upping the NHW meetings and stickers ( seems pointless but I guess if it comforts some of them...) putting up carpet grippers and barbed wire (again strongly advised against this and explained why) There's been a further number of small events since I first posted, including 3 further attempted burglaries and a garage block's security lighting being tampered with(wires cut I believe) obviously I'm in the difficult position of trying to advise without wanting to explain away my career history and private life. Grrrr.

They are extracting the Michael, anyone here local to your area that could ask about?

That is ridiculous, it's a drive by FFS

I agree - especially as I had a very professional outfit return my email with a really good quote of £8 and info on everything it includes, details of their training, insurance etc! Seems like CP...name your price -someone out there must be paying it! (don't get me started on how nobody will pay surveillance operatives fairly! lol)

Eight quid is more like it!!!

Although, that's almost 9k a year for three random nightly patrols, plus VAT.

Try and do a deal for 3 X Nightly patrols, for six quid a piece, and whenever there is a van in the area they drive through as a courtesy.

Get lots of signs off them and put them up in as many locations as possible, push the advertising angle

They'll get more revenue from it over time.

They could do a 'holiday service', where they charge X for paying particular attention to a home when the owners are away.

Sell the add ons!!

Hmm I did rather think the other quotes were taking the Mickey! I've learnt another thing: never ever get involved. Having advised people to not leave out that box the brand new tv came in outside their door ( yes, I know lol!) and perhaps not to leave their shiny laptop by an open window (talk about banging my head against a brick wall!) Well now another neighbour who I know is a Police officer ( a tenner says he's on here hehehehehe) but who hasn't told anyone else his job (and of course I'm happy to respect that and keep quiet about that) has publically said he doesn't think it's the best solution and has made a definite stand against it.....
So I'm thinking even though my house is marked, my persec is good but I will up the security in my home, I have a few new toys that someone can get up and running to help, as you see I'm a wheelchair user and can't do ladders! Just basic sensors on my house perimeters, more of those pesky prikka-strips, a holly bush (ouch) etc. I will maybe pay someone personally to help keep an eye on things, there's been very weird goings on indeed and it'll put my mind at rest, but I won't/can't organise something for the estate as it's a headache too far with so many conflicting views. Local Police think neighbourhood watch is the answer to everyones' prayers, I know it helps but I've fed back very detailed reports of occurances with photographic proof etc and nothing has been done. What a headache!!

Hmm I did rather think the other quotes were taking the Mickey! I've learnt another thing: never ever get involved. Having advised people to not leave out that box the brand new tv came in outside their door ( yes, I know lol!) and perhaps not to leave their shiny laptop by an open window (talk about banging my head against a brick wall!) Well now another neighbour who I know is a Police officer ( a tenner says he's on here hehehehehe) but who hasn't told anyone else his job (and of course I'm happy to respect that and keep quiet about that) has publically said he doesn't think it's the best solution and has made a definite stand against it.....
So I'm thinking even though my house is marked, my persec is good but I will up the security in my home, I have a few new toys that someone can get up and running to help, as you see I'm a wheelchair user and can't do ladders! Just basic sensors on my house perimeters, more of those pesky prikka-strips, a holly bush (ouch) etc. I will maybe pay someone personally to help keep an eye on things, there's been very weird goings on indeed and it'll put my mind at rest, but I won't/can't organise something for the estate as it's a headache too far with so many conflicting views. Local Police think neighbourhood watch is the answer to everyones' prayers, I know it helps but I've fed back very detailed reports of occurances with photographic proof etc and nothing has been done. What a headache!!

Where did this end up mate?

Back