Brexit Bill !!

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
https://tradingeconomics.com/spain/unemployment-rate

when I was getting my law degree it was about 700€ a year, for 5 years equals 3.500€ for a university degree,

For goodness sake if you have a law degree then there's hope for the rest of us. You don't talk like someone who's educated to that level. My degree is 6yrs but I'm doing it part time with the Open University, a bricks and mortar Uni should take 3yrs for your Llb honors degree? Am I wrong?

Last edited:

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
For goodness sake if you have a law degree then there's hope for the rest of us. You don't talk like someone who's educated to that level. My degree is 6yrs but I'm doing it part time with the Open University, a bricks and mortar Uni should take 3yrs for your Llb honors degree? Am I wrong?

You are wrong in so many aspects... but will light one or two for you:
Hope, yes, there is hope for you.

About how I speak (let us say, type) I am afraid that the Cambridge University considers me at uni level, with a fantastic exam paper saying so, C1 level for the Council of Europe level or if you prefer, like the brexit, saying it on your levels: Level 2 certificate in ESOL (advanced).
The way I "talk", I am afraid, I try to keep it to the level of my audience; that may explain a lot of things for you.

For your OU degree, I am quite confident you will get it as long as you pay all the courses as that is how the system I have experienced in UK works. As long as you don't waste your uni loan on gin and fake tan you will be able to pay for your title.

My university degree in a real university :
1 Before the EU decided to change our university system the 1953 program to obtain a university degree in law (same my teachers´ teachers did) I enrolled requested 5 years of classes monday to friday, we did not have any "part time university" and the Open university ran the same way, you could only sit so many exams a year, making it difficult to get your degree in less than 5 years back in the years. You had 3 chances a year (June, September and December) to sit each exam foe the year´s subject being able to select 2 of the dates and a maximum of 6 fails after what you could no more try that exam

2 The lessons charge was not 260 credits as for today, but 300, having to complete them as stated.

3 After graduation we were prepared enough to start WORKING as attorney for example without any other tests, masters or the mid-levels there are in place now.

4 As you finished the uni you could enroll in a master´s degree or a PHD straight because we did not have a "pick and mix" system of lessons but the stone carved mandatory subjects from History of law to Public Administrations law for example.

5 We did not have fancy dumb-proof multiple choice tests, it was written tests by hand lasting several hours.

PD: I think the worst I can tell you is that me, being what you seem to consider me to be, got to steal your jobs, were does it leave you?

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
You are wrong in so many aspects... but will light one or two for you:
Hope, yes, there is hope for you.

About how I speak (let us say, type) I am afraid that the Cambridge University considers me at uni level, with a fantastic exam paper saying so, C1 level for the Council of Europe level or if you prefer, like the brexit, saying it on your levels: Level 2 certificate in ESOL (advanced).
The way I "talk", I am afraid, I try to keep it to the level of my audience; that may explain a lot of things for you.

For your OU degree, I am quite confident you will get it as long as you pay all the courses as that is how the system I have experienced in UK works. As long as you don't waste your uni loan on gin and fake tan you will be able to pay for your title.

My university degree in a real university :
1 Before the EU decided to change our university system the 1953 program to obtain a university degree in law (same my teachers´ teachers did) I enrolled requested 5 years of classes monday to friday, we did not have any "part time university" and the Open university ran the same way, you could only sit so many exams a year, making it difficult to get your degree in less than 5 years back in the years. You had 3 chances a year (June, September and December) to sit each exam foe the year´s subject being able to select 2 of the dates and a maximum of 6 fails after what you could no more try that exam

2 The lessons charge was not 260 credits as for today, but 300, having to complete them as stated.

3 After graduation we were prepared enough to start WORKING as attorney for example without any other tests, masters or the mid-levels there are in place now.

4 As you finished the uni you could enroll in a master´s degree or a PHD straight because we did not have a "pick and mix" system of lessons but the stone carved mandatory subjects from History of law to Public Administrations law for example.

5 We did not have fancy dumb-proof multiple choice tests, it was written tests by hand lasting several hours.

PD: I think the worst I can tell you is that me, being what you seem to consider me to be, got to steal your jobs, were does it leave you?

That is the biggest load of drivel I've ever heard, well done, you take the biscuit on CPW for the biggest bullshitter.

I'm 44 years old and hardly going to waste my money on Gin, OU is quite a respectable UNI as I was lead to believe so hence I'm doing law with them in my spare time.

Please explain what you mean in your last paragraph after PD? I didn't understand that, what we are is what you aspire to be.

I will listen closely to your answer, private message me if you feel that's a better option.

Regards

Col

Last edited:

Oddjob

No, no, no
Keep this one in open forum.
Remember, we must allow some latitude; as English is obviously his second language.
As regards his off the cuff remark of wording his posts to address the level of his audience.
Well that’s patronising at best.
Or over confident (a typical foreign trait.) Which has led to numerous crushing defeats throughout the ages for Johnny Foreigner.
The benefits of an education, let alone a good education; is no guarantee of expertise or common sense.
Give me experience, a well observed mind and natural ability over academia just about any day.
But please plough on shovelling. It’s just getting interesting.

premier

Longterm Registered User
Please explain what you mean in your last paragraph after PD? I didn't understand that, what we are is what you aspire to be.

I can explain “PD†after years at the uni of life D on a qwerty keyboard sits next to S so when someone with sausage fingers like I have, pressing the correct keys whilst typing a rant is not always done with the first keystroke.
I make loads of “smelling pistakes†when I type fast and furious.

But keep the thread public as OJ suggests its good for all to read.

Regards

premier

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
From last to first:
Premier: close, it is a nice guess the qwerty affair but no, we use PS and PD and felt that PD was more suitable because after trying to explain how I got my uni degree some years ago, after all that time, and with the kind opinion colonel has developed of me, it is worth reminding him that a foreigner, therefore: ignorant, childish and in each and every aspect inferior to him, got a job here, has a job here and in the meantime somebody´s son (maybe as his parents before), is living on benefits with the taxes I pay from my wage.
Thanks to a mediterranean diet and healthy habits I keep my fingers in good shape to press (most of the time) the keys I intend to.

Oddjob: thanks for the relaxation of your much appreciated standards. As you said, is not so easy to express in my second language, but try my best and YES, I was patronizing him; just a pity that you got it instead of him! Pleased to see that humor can be international sometimes... Or maybe I am being over confident, hope NOT to find out.
Over the years never heard or thought that over confidence has anything to do with foreigners, is a common thing, nevertheless, you are welcome to think that. Maybe moving in a strange land as this forum is I should send scouts before the main army, but I am no Norse invader, just a southerner settler, and enjoy my mistakes and face the repercussions.
Common sense, the most uncommon of all. I agree, being educated by my parents (both, happily married for a life and looking after their only and common children), later in a catholic school and then university is a great benefit but for my common sense, have no way to measure it so just hope and pray that I have some of it embedded. I should be ok until a doctor signs the paper and in the meantime can drive have guns and sign legally binding contracts by myself.
About experience, age by itself without all the toppings you requests means nothing, same applies to academy knowledge, that is why I like to read quite often (there is a topic about what you are reading) to try to learn from other people´s experience and maybe add some of their common sense and lessons to my life, something I am not finding often in the forum ;).

Finally, my dearest colonel:
happy to read that you are 44, I am 40, just a kid.
OU ranking the 53 in Uk, how could I guess that Glasgow uni is better positioned!
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-uk
Never mind, the important ranking is not as for the uni itself BUT the area you are going to study, LAW, so pay no attention to this dodgy ranking of mine.

So in a "brick and mortar" uni a university degree takes just 3 years? not even the 4 that the European system (glad you will no more be restraint by the EU tyranny) usually demands (60 credits minimum a year and 180 to 240 credits for a first cycle now). Since you will be doing it in your spare time by your 50th birthday you will get your degree? hope to be able to celebrate here, seriously. My degree seem to equal to your "BA hons" as back them you could enroll in the doctoral studies. I really have to appreciate the chance you gave me to learn about the modern university system.

Will leave untouched the options to joke about gin, fake tan and try to go back to what "YOU" are and what I aspire to be:
You as a person are nothing that I aspire to be. Seriously, if any, older, I aspire to get older than I am despite brawls in irish pubs.
I am a person brave/crazy enough to have come to Scotland on holiday in 2015 and enjoyed the place so much that had a chat with my girl and decided to live our dream and settle here, so I got a job and moved here. I, as a person, aspire to improve my position and life and will do it as always, working, studying and having fun in internet forums among other things.
I as a person develop my opinions from facts, knowledge (mine of acquired) and will welcome anyone to discuss them rationally.
I as a person will sound (type) childish sometimes and may be so several times, but try to keep a smile and avoid spitting bile or trolling the forums.
I as a person aspire to be able to have a laugh with the most serious issues with friends and not to have such a self image that prevents me to accept criticism.

YOU as a country, are going to be free from the bureaucracy of the EU, a monster developed for the common benefit of international companies. Will be able to control your population and budget. Will be able to arrange commercial treaties just for your best national (national companies) interest.
I envy that independence despite the mistakes you continue to carry on.
On the other hand trying to blame the brexit bill on previous history is a mistake, the worst populism pamphlet kind of bullshit I can expect and that is what I have been telling you once and again.

Now after the personal references and cocking up, can we go back to the main issue? Brexit bill: honoring your previous agreements, responsibilities and compromises. Fair play, should it be considered, not blackmail.

Oddjob

So many points to raise.
But far too early to start.
Being a southerner you may not understand the old adage : never poke (prod) a sleeping bear.
It’s a northern thing.

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
Change the bear for the lion or even a wild boar and have the same, got the old adage, also having read some books by Bernard Cornwell I am familiar with it.

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
I got your point on your first message. I just dont feel the need to talk as much as you. You are the gift that keeps on giving. Have a happy Christmas.

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
So many points to raise.
But far too early to start.
Being a southerner you may not understand the old adage : never poke (prod) a sleeping bear.
It’s a northern thing.

Theres an old saying. Weather forecast says theres snow coming. Southerners stay inside, Northerns, put on a coat. Giovanni you make some good points but you talk shit as well mate. Id prefer to be out with paying the eu nothing. To be very honest id prefer nigel farage to be in charge of this rather than teresa may. Excuse my spelling and punctuation because im on the phone and havent the time to make a long winded speel. Im at work. Enough to say is my degree is an honors degree. Itll take me another 5yrs to finish it but itll get done if god spares me.

Last edited:

sekura

Full Registered User
Let's not forget the many Irish, Cypriots, Maltese and other peoples who fought for the British in the two world wars. Ireland was the only part of the Empire not to have conscription yet 200,000 volunteered, 30,000 of which perished.

OP talks of an already paid debt yet leaving leaves a perpetual debt to the three former British colonies!