Business Plans

Customloads

Super Moderator
Can anyone recommend a professional business plan editing service please?

I had produced one a few months back, ran it by friends and colleagues but it was rejected by the intended recipient (an accountant).

I've written, and rejected, more than I care to think about.

1st question, is why it's needed. If it's for presentation to a bank / accountant, to secure investment, grovel for a an overdraft / loan, the only thing that counts are believable figures / projections, based on prior business performance or experience, the assets you're bringing to the business etc. backed up by hard research data on the market your getting into.

Most banks have free templates that you can adapt to specific requirements and they're laid out in ways in that bean counters like.

If you're pitching it at a private investor / business angel, then you have a bit more latitude in selling an idea to a hopefully enthusiastic partner / investor, who maybe knows something about the area you want to get into and wants to be a part of it. If the guys an experienced businessman, the numbers will still count, but the idea and enthusiasm behind the business probably counts more.

In the current climate, banks are extremely reluctant to the idea of 'risk' and you're probably on a non-starter if you have little equity. If it's just to secure a business bank account then they shouldn't have any issues.

Get the basics right in terms of numbers, grammar, spelling, layout etc, and it'll add loads to the credibility.

Any business plan is a matter of opinion, depending on who it's aimed at. Whether it's a formal plan with a years financial forecast, or dream scribbled on a beermat, Good Luck !

V :)

As Visioneer said, it's horses for courses. If you understand the basics (cashflow, P&L, balance sheet etc) and you already have the text and want an easy way of doing the financials you could try Palo Alto's Business Plan Pro. I've used it to produce acceptable plans both for financial institutions and VC's a few times and it's more than sufficient.

A Business Plan is basically a CV, make it look good.

The more professional the better. If you're pitching it to bankers / accountants / investors they've seen it all before. Those guys crunch numbers for fun, and they'll spot flannel and bullshit a mile off.

...unfortunately...could be why I've made a hobby of being skint....

V

There's a really good template at Enterprise Ireland. It's one that covers all investor requirements and is easy to use. Think it's www.enterpriseireland.ie and it's under downloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Hi Customloads
Go online and download Business-in-a-Box. It gives a multitude of business forms just find the one which suits you best and put your details in. Hope this is useful for you.
Grasshopper

Thanks all.

The purpose is to secure a lease on a historic building owned by local government, no funding is being sought through it.

Used a template the first time, then compared the finished item to a couple of others and all looked good. But no go. The accountant working for the local authority said he wants more on marketing and more figures. I had thought both were solid!

Last edited:
My pennies worth? Not worth the paper they are written on...

If it's funding you are looking for CL,? talk to the 'Crowd Funding' gadgies, most of them entrepreneurs themselves and can smell a good opportunity 12 kilometres out like the Bears on Svalbard can smell a Human... Also, at least most of them have produced something in their lives and understand the journey because they have walked the path :)

CD
28 years an Entrepreneur

Thanks all.

The purpose is to secure a lease on a historic building owned by local government, no funding is being sought through it.

Used a template the first time, then compared the finished item to a couple of others and all looked good. But no go. The accountant working for the local authority said he wants more on marketing and more figures. I had thought both were solid!

They almost certainly are, from your perspective.

From their perspective is another story. Especially for an historic building, conservation area or similar, they'll be looking for a long term occupant, possibly 'in keeping with the area'. They'll need a bit more data on the 'the story of the business', giving them a cosy feeling that you'll be around for a while.

If you're already established in the area, growing local business, asset to the community etc, push the point !

V

My pennies worth? Not worth the paper they are written on...

If it's funding you are looking for CL,? talk to the 'Crowd Funding' gadgies, most of them entrepreneurs themselves and can smell a good opportunity 12 kilometres out like the Bears on Svalbard can smell a Human... Also, at least most of them have produced something in their lives and understand the journey because they have walked the path :)

CD
28 years an Entrepreneur

I tend to agree. You give people what they want when it comes to seeing 'Business Plans'. Most of mine have been the scribbled on a back of a fag packet variety.

When i was a kid, back in the early days of domestic video machines, (I've the dubious distinction of flogging one of the very first Philips N1700's to Rod Argent, of the band Argent.)

I spent weeks preparing a business plan for my bank, with a proposal for Video Rental shop business. Only to be told that the concept was a waste of time, would never catch on, etc. etc.

...as my home VCR was a Sony Betamax, in retrospect, he may have had a point...

V :(

I can never quite get my head around the concept of a bank having 'Business Advisors'. If they were any bloody good as businessman, they wouldn't be working for an effin bank !

Last edited:
Back