Can A security guard stop and search ur bags if?

?

Whiles leaving a large supermarket 2day my mum was stopped and her bags where searched. 1 security guard was infront of her trolly and the other 1 at her side. They searched her bags and check her receipt and found she had payed for all her goods.They done this infront of everyone coming in and out of the store. When they found she had payed for everything they said that the thought that the Girl serving her had not charged her for all her shoppin. My mum was very upset by this and even had to get a stranger to drive her car home. Does anyone know if this is illegal or have an advice . She has made a complaint to the store and they have apologised and said it should never have happened.
My Mother has a well payed job and doesen't look like a shoplifter.
They didnt say why the where searchin her, just sayed when they found she had payed for everything that they thought the girl serving hadn't charged for all her shoppin.

Limited people have the power of search, certainly in my neck of the woods that doesn't reach to Security Guards.....write to customer service to clarify situation.

.......... I feel sorry for your mum and the way she was traeted and this certainley could have been handled a better way by the security. However the question I have is what does a shoplifter look like and if you are in the know please help all the security guys on here and let the rest of us know that way we can all help keep costs down in the shops.

Hippo

So what does one look like then???? And whats the well paid job got to do with it?? Never heard of the JP's wife who goes on regular 'discounted shopping' sprees and the many other examples of well to do folks stealing from retail outlets?

It's likely that we all consent to being searched as a condition of entry to these stores.....even if we don't realise it. However, the method in which the search was conducted, and the fact that the explanation was provided AFTER the search instead of beforehand, would justify a letter of complaint to the Chair of the Company. Don't refer to Mum's appearance...it's a non-starter.

Some people working on tills do not always put through all the items so that family and friends can get a few bargains for nothing. As for asking to check her trolley outside they should have taken her to the side explained why they were checking her trolley. At least they were being proactive maybe they should be watching the girl on the till not your mum

First Off I see you haven't even bothered to introduce yourself to the forum, one thing I hate is one post wonders that post & run. I see you have chosen the username ........... Why was that, could you not be bothered to put the effort in or so you can post without coming back to reply?

Whiles leaving a large supermarket 2day my mum was stopped and her bags where searched. 1 security guard was infront of her trolly and the other 1 at her side. They searched her bags and check her receipt and found she had payed for all her goods.They done this infront of everyone coming in and out of the store. When they found she had payed for everything they said that the thought that the Girl serving her had not charged her for all her shoppin. My mum was very upset by this and even had to get a stranger to drive her car home. Does anyone know if this is illegal or have an advice . She has made a complaint to the store and they have apologised and said it should never have happened.
They didnt say why the where searchin her, just sayed when they found she had payed for everything that they thought the girl serving hadn't charged for all her shoppin.

Without further details you story just doesn't add up my friend. You say that your Mum had to get a "stranger" to drive her car home! Your mum is very naive if she is letting a stranger take control of her vehicle with her in the car, albeit with a complete stranger!!!.

What store was it, as anyone who works for these stores will tell you the exect policy in regard to Stop & Searches.

2 Security Guards for 1 older female shopper, who was securing the rest of the store? Any Security guard will tell you that they avoide this at all costs, as 1 person can be used as a decoy so the other Security Guard will have been trained to look for other shoplifters taking advantage of this situation to their advantage.

As for the security Guards looking through your mums shopping bags in front of everyone I find rather strange. Security Guards are instructed to take the person back to a till if the receipt is in question and if neccessary the items can be rescanned, I have seen this done by ASDA although they did compensate the shopper with vouchers bye way of an apology.

Did the Security Guards apologise?

Did your mum think to call the police for being detained against her will? (False Arrest, as your story goes).

If I sound sceptical, its because I know there is always two sides to a story, and you are telling us a story 2nd hand from your mum and without giving any real specific info.

On a final point, one further question that I will even answer for you.

Q. What does a shoplifter look like?

A. Everyone

Well said Ste7en.

This persons story is totally fishy. They obviously couldnt be bothered to even choose a username. I see they joined in Oct 2007 then made 1 post then buggered off, that really gets on my t1ts. If your going to contribute to this site then do so, dont make one post and run. I think it should be a practice that if you dont make a posting within 3 months, or every 3 months you should get the boot.

Your thoughts people. Should one post wonders get the boot.

Well said Ste7en.

This persons story is totally fishy. They obviously couldnt be bothered to even choose a username. I see they joined in Oct 2007 then made 1 post then buggered off, that really gets on my t1ts. If your going to contribute to this site then do so, dont make one post and run. I think it should be a practice that if you dont make a posting within 3 months, or every 3 months you should get the boot.

Your thoughts people. Should one post wonders get the boot.

I totally agree, it is really annoying when people post once then dont bother coming back. But some people could be out of the country working in the CP field, but I agree there has to be something to stop the one post wonders.

Hi I work in retail, and I work doors also. I will agree with ste7en and chriss t, story sounds way offish. It depends where you work, but I believe uniform guards cant stop and search correct me if Im wrong. They are there as a deterant, if trained properly then SCONE should be in practice, (you will know about this if you are in retail) usually you have to wait until the person leaves beyond the paypoint and exits the premises before you can stop. I didnt think you could do anything on suspiscion of, you can only stop if you are 110% sure .... The girl on the till should have been under survelience and someone undercover - store detective should have been brought in, and dealt with under the companies disaplianry proceedures... I think im right lol

Can Secuirty Guards Search? Well yes in some areas they can search but must allways get consent from the person before they procead if they refuse they they are asked to leave the premices or taken off them by forse - this is the procedure that i have to follow in my place of work althrough it isnt retail so that could be diffrent.

Can a security guard stop and search

Hi guys,

As much as we may not like it, in this day and age even criminals have rights. If you are to be searched then it must be done in a place where as not to offend the person being detained, or to cause them embarassment. Females being searched by females etc etc.
The woman hadn't even left the premises so there was no right to stop her.

Sounds like someone sussing things out or security guards on a power trip....that would never happen lol.

From an ex police point of view and from a current retail security point of view, we at sainsburys now operate the policy of, if the EAS barrier activates, we no longer check receipts etc... however we advise the customer to speak to the customer service desk as there may be a tagged item in their shopping. As for suspecting that a checkout operator hasnt scanned all of the items, it is impossible to get SCONE on that unless you have a)CCTV which gives audio from that specific till so you can hear the beeps. b) CCTV which can focus directly on the till screen so u can see the item going through the scanner as well as the item coming up on the screen. or c) you have to be stood right nexty to the bloody till so you can see for yourself, in which case the checkout operator isnt gonna be that stupid!!!
End of the day if you stop someone and ask for a receipt and start checking ther bags, it is a stop/search which is illegal! dont stop unless you have ASCONE and even if you do, NEVER EVER search someone!
Hello everyone!

Hello Skunk!
Where I work we have same policy dont run after if ETS goes off. No to stop and search and can only do anything if SCONE.
Lol I have met a few dense ones, there are a few around, not just the checkout operators hehee

Last edited:
This is an excellent point you make when you ask this person what they mean by she does not even look like a shoplifter, why do people feel the need to stereotype against people based on there looks, clothing and style of dress, true it can be a target indicator but it’s not always the case shame on you.

Last edited:
Qick and easy answer no they dont have the right. If they have seen her commit an arrestable offence ie theft, they must arrest her and then they could check, but it is usual to wait for the Police to attend, prevents any problems.

[Your thoughts people. Should one post wonders get the boot.[/quote]

I agree, the story does sound a bit odd, but a couple of you need to get off your high horse. I bet their's a few people out there who find this site as a good source of info and a way of finding out new SOP's etc, who feel that they dont want to get involved in contributing in the forums. Or perhaps there are few individuals who are never able to always post replies on the forums because they are always working and never get the chance to sit at terminal and tap away for hours. Don't get me wrong, If you feel strongly about a subject or have some information that you would like to pass on, or ask for advice then use the forums , but c'mon guys just because a someone doesnt like to contibute that often doesnt mean that they should oust'ed. At the end of the day this site is a good way of passing info and gaining new contacts, so whether you are posting 10 replies a week or using this site as a reference library lets all get on.

Mate, not quite sure what you are after, but
1. On private property a security guard has the legitimate power to search same sex personnel with permission from that person.
2. Being 'stopped' does not constitute wrongful arrest. When you are held against your will it would fall under the law of ABDUCTION:
3. In the trade what the guards actually did is classed as a 'RECOVERY* and handled in the right way is perfectly lawful as long as the goods were on show at the time of passing through the till and not concealed. Remember the act of theft is 3 parts.
4. To commit wrongful arrest the arresting officer or a private person under a citizens arrest has to actually ARREST i.e CAUTION and using resonable force DETAIN or hand over to a POLICE OFFICER as soon as is reasonably possible.
5. In normal circumstances a suspect would be ichallenged and nvited back into a store or if they have passed the checkout but not exited then they can be stopped. Remember, stores are PRIVATE PROPERTY. A citizens arrest can be performed at this time if necessary.
6. Despite the myth a security office or store detective can challenge, apprehend or detain under citizens arrest someone who has committed ONE PART of the act of theft. ERGO it means that they do not have to have left the store.

I trust that this helps you.

Carl Dowd RTD Group

Why dont you go back to the store, follow the said security guards home and torture the offenders and offenders familes. Thus ensuring this never happens to a well "payed" lady again.

Back