Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nigel k

i have a couple of cctv cameras that dont have infra red, great during the day or when lights are on but pitch black at night.

befor you buy a infra red lighing system, you might want to check that your cemra can actually pick up the infra red light. one easy way is at night have someone watch the camera on TV and the other person go outside with a remote control and point it strait at the camera and press some buttons to see if any flashing lights come up, if they dont then forget the infra red lighiting, if they do, check on ebay, www.maplins.co.uk or www.dabs.co.uk (might be .com not sure)

kensplace

Full Registered User
Unless you want to shell out on a good illuminator, its probably easier, and better just to stick some conventional lighting in, like a pir activated security floodlight.

Cheap IR floods are not that good, and whatever IR you get, the image is still monochrome, at least normal white light would give you colour, and a deterrant value.

Infrared

Full Registered User
You can buy an infrared lighting for CCTV camera, but first of all, you have check that your cemra can actually pick up the infra red light.

Infrared

Full Registered User
You can buy an infrared lighting for CCTV camera, but first of all, you have check that your cemra can actually pick up the infra red light.

UNIBELUS

Full Registered User
It's an automatic IR illumination which need just 12VDC. But "kensplace" give you good idea too.

Therep

If your camera does not show IR , such as the remote control possibility, I would suggest White light Security lights. Its the cheapest option. Make sure you buy a security light with a Detector and set up the sensitivity and direction, as you want to ignore smaller objects such as wild animals.

HKP7K3

Full Registered User
i have a couple of cctv cameras that dont have infra red, great during the day or when lights are on but pitch black at night.

dont want to state the obvious but are the cameras colout or BW.

The reason I ask is the IR distorts colour images and thats why most of the better ones with onboard IR motors are BW.

kensplace

Full Registered User
Only lower quality cams will distort under IR, a pro/decent quality colour camera will either not show IR at all, due to it having a IR Cut filter which stops the IR gettting to the sensor,or in the case of 'true' day/night cameras they will have a removable (camera controlled) IR Cut filter that slides out of place when the cam reaches a certain light level (or by manually triggering it on some cams also) to allow IR to be used. It slides back in to place during daylight, to block IR.

katie85

Full Registered User
I think you should first have a check that whether your cameras can pick up IR, if can not, you'd better think of changing another cameras, for cameras with remote IR has high image quality...
Here cost-effective

Last edited by a moderator:
[FONT=&quot]North Salt Lake[/FONT][FONT=&quot], UT[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (August 26, 2010) - AXTON, Inc, US-based manufacturer of professional infrared illuminators for security applications distributed under AXTON brand name. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AXTON line of infrared illuminators constantly evolves and expands to answer ever-changing market demands. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Axton is proud to add the first PoE infrared illuminator to its product line. The new PoE infrared illuminator is based on the AT-15, AXTON’s flagship infrared illuminator model. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Like the standard AT-15 infrared illuminator, the AT-15/PoE features: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]• 30°, 45°,60° and 90° illumination angles [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Compact and rugged design [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Suitable for outdoor applications, nitrogen purged and IP-66 rated (waterproof) including the mil. spec RG45 connector [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Manual output power control [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Day/night photocell switch [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Myriad of mounting option [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The AT-15/PoE is designed for use with IP CCTV cameras and minimizes installation, maintenance and operational costs of the entire system. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

annie

Full Registered User
you are either stupid, illiterate or unable to read, either way you have annoyed me now so please don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out

Visioneer

Super Moderator
If the cameras are on the inside, looking out, you'll possibly be stuffed ! IR has problems getting through windows ! In which case, 'white light' exterior security lights on a PIR sensor. (Dirt cheap, 10 quid in Argos? )

If the cameras are 'overt' exterior, then go for white light anyway, as they're a bigger deterrent than than the camera.

If the cameras are covert / 'discreet', or you just dont want to piss off the neighbours every time a cat goes past, go for the IR.

Most cheap 'commercial' IR Illuminators, are around 750-850nm, ie: they're not properly covert anyway, giving a dim red glow like a fag butt at 25m ! Covert ones are up around 950-980nm, which may be great,....BUT..most mainstream cameras are only around 5% efficient in that range, so you REALLY have to make sure that your cameras gonna be able to see 'em.

And, last of all, how far away is your area of interest ? IR Illuminators generally have lower range than 'white light'.

Prestige76

Longterm Registered User
It might be easier and cheaper in the long run just to change the cameras to ones with built in IR. (just a thought)

P76

easyn

Full Registered User
You can purchase a housing with IR led board, and connect the wires to your CCTV cameras, but please confirm that your cctv ip camera can support this part.

matt123

Longterm Registered User
I have to say, I agree with Prestige. Unless the camera you have is very special (in which case I doubt you would be asking about it here!!), in my opinion, it isn't going to be worth your while trying to rig up another solution.

What is the camera type? Standard body/Vandal Dome etc? Is it an indoor or outdoor camera?

The only thing that might stop you (practically) doing this is if the connectors on the camera/DVR are not standard connectors (BNC).

Have a quick look at our range of CCTV cameras where you can get an outdoor camera with IR for £60.

Cheers

Matt

easyn

Full Registered User
I am not sure about the cost for external IR board, but it is only aboutor less than USD100 for one outdoor IR IP camera including shipping cost.

Top Bottom