Certified Counter Terrorism Practitioner (CCTP) Course

SGWUK

The inaugural UK Certified Counter Terrorism Practitioner (CCTP) Course, which will take place in North Nottinghamshire (Sherwood Forest Area) between Tuesday July 18th and Thursday July 20th.

CCTP is a professional development program and a CREDENTIAL which provides the demonstrable proof of knowledge and expertise in terrorism prevention, detection and deterrence. The credential will be awarded to the eligible candidates who have successfully passed the examination, which assess the knowledge of 14 main areas of the counter terrorism field.

Here's some topics of what the exam covers:

• Suicide bombers
• Soft Targets
• IED
• Active Shooter
• Security measures

After fulfillment of the registration requirements, delegates can access the 3 day preparatory course, followed by the CCTP exam.

Further information is available from [URL="http://www.sgw-consulting.co.uk/training-centre/certified-counter-terrorism-practitioner-cctp/"

E-mail; info@sgw-consulting.co.uk

Ivan67

Longterm Registered User
A 3 day course, really, I have over 30 years experience in the Defense industry and never once heard of such a certification. Reading the hand out on it it looks like the Free FEMA Awareness course.

But if it is free, then I guess it could not hurt, but you would have to be a total moron for it to help.

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
I am one of the 5 viewers of the file also...
Spain, born place of car bombing by E.T.A. terrorist group (more or less) and exporters of the "technology" to Colombia for Pablo Escobar, jus to say a thing.
If as said a 3 day course teaches you something, we are in serious trouble, but again, if in a 4 days course you can become a DS, the trouble was already here.

Until in UK you get a decent level of training before allowing any moron to be DS (haven't even bothered to see the CPO courses) I fully support the policies of companies just hiring ex-mil personnel.

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
There is a prior learning requirement of;

A university degree and 2 years experience in security, law enforcement or military
Or
Relevant experience in security, law enforcement or military with 5 years in an executive/Management role.

There is also a minimum age level of 25.

Pity they test all this with a multiple choice paper.

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
A 3 day course, really, I have over 30 years experience in the Defense industry and never once heard of such a certification. Reading the hand out on it it looks like the Free FEMA Awareness course.

But if it is free, then I guess it could not hurt, but you would have to be a total moron for it to help.

Lots of people can say this. How is a client who is looking for a subject matter expert and knows nothing about it themselves to avoid picking a convincing Walt.

The course is to test prior knowledge and give those who can demonstrate it a certificate. Bit like the FAAW, It only lasts three years, because if you spent 30 years fighting Terrorism and had not been active 10 or 15 years, the theatre would have changed beyond recognition. The threat and the counter.

It ain't free, $50 to submit your form!!!

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
I am one of the 5 viewers of the file also...
Spain, born place of car bombing by E.T.A. terrorist group (more or less) and exporters of the "technology" to Colombia for Pablo Escobar, jus to say a thing.
If as said a 3 day course teaches you something, we are in serious trouble, but again, if in a 4 days course you can become a DS, the trouble was already here.

Until in UK you get a decent level of training before allowing any moron to be DS (haven't even bothered to see the CPO courses) I fully support the policies of companies just hiring ex-mil personnel.

Strange statement to summarise your knowledge on the subject, to be sure, to be sure!

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
Yes indeed, double check or you are in trouble, two is one one is none!

If you prefer the long one:
As a security professional and instructor with all the security badges in Spain, including university degree and post degrees in strange areas such as international crime (that means 20 university credits each after your main university degree), fully knowledge of firearms (short and long as we use both legally, not just the bad guys get to 'play' with pistols), that happen to be a really valuable asset when dealing with terrorism, much more than verbal de-escalation of issues so say something.
As course taker in UK for 4 days including the test day to get a DS certificate...
Back in my home country if someone tells you that the same academy teaching you a subject is sitting the exam and giving you the certificate in 4 days, no mater how good the trainers are, that "course" is less than bull... We go to the academy for a couple months, get the certificate and then with a medical and criminal record sit the test with the National Police body that awards the real and professional certificates...

With this first hand knowledge and experience I understand that any serious company (security company) will need either to raise the standards for it´s staff to a decent level having to spend time and money on it OR just plain decide to hire ex-mil, people who are used to discipline, physical and mental endurance and have the physical confrontation skills that may be needed for the role and are not learned in 4 days.

I do not fully understand your culture and qualifications system, but reading that a private body awards a private certificate in 3 days about rocket science, I do not care if you have a university degree in Iranian art and have been a bouncer for 2 years before paying 50 bucks and sitting a test to 'certify' you for 3 years as counter terrorism.
From my experience and personal feeling (and this is a forum to express both freely) this offer lack the characteristics to be considered of minimum value FOR ME, and therefore enhances my feeling about the lack of professional standards in security in UK that subsequently enforces my respect (at the beginning I though this was seriously discriminative) for companies going to the market hiring just certain backgrounds.

Azarias

Longterm Registered User

As a security professional and instructor with all the security badges in Spain, including university degree and post degrees in strange areas such as international crime (that means 20 university credits each after your main university degree), fully knowledge of firearms (short and long as we use both legally, not just the bad guys get to 'play' with pistols), that happen to be a really valuable asset when dealing with terrorism, much more than verbal de-escalation of issues so say something.
As course taker in UK for 4 days including the test day to get a DS certificate...
Back in my home country if someone tells you that the same academy teaching you a subject is sitting the exam and giving you the certificate in 4 days, no mater how good the trainers are, that "course" is less than bull... We go to the academy for a couple months, get the certificate and then with a medical and criminal record sit the test with the National Police body that awards the real and professional certificates...

With this first hand knowledge and experience I understand that any serious company (security company) will need either to raise the standards for it´s staff to a decent level having to spend time and money on it OR just plain decide to hire ex-mil, people who are used to discipline, physical and mental endurance and have the physical confrontation skills that may be needed for the role and are not learned in 4 days.

I do not fully understand your culture and qualifications system, but reading that a private body awards a private certificate in 3 days about rocket science, I do not care if you have a university degree in Iranian art and have been a bouncer for 2 years before paying 50 bucks and sitting a test to 'certify' you for 3 years as counter terrorism.
From my experience and personal feeling (and this is a forum to express both freely) this offer lack the characteristics to be considered of minimum value FOR ME, and therefore enhances my feeling about the lack of professional standards in security in UK that subsequently enforces my respect (at the beginning I though this was seriously discriminative) for companies going to the market hiring just certain backgrounds.

I agree with your generalisation and understand where you are coming from.

Globally/universally experience is king and I (personally) would not accept anyone as an expert without pedigree. However you don't get university credits for coming to work.

The offer would not be "discriminative" if as you first assumed it was open to anybody with $50 (I think you will find that is just to be considered for the course and is deducted from the full price should you be accepted).

I don't believe hiring people with appropriate backgrounds can be called discriminating and it seems to me you were advocating hiring ex military personnel and at the same time saying this is wrong!

There are probably many Security, Military, Police and Govt roles that develop the skills and qualities necessary to advise on Counter Terrorism. Everybody knows everybody and wherever you go the same people serve on many advisory boards, panels and enquiries. But now everybody wants an expert to satisfy their duty of care by saying they have consulted and their counter terrorist plans are wonderful.

I imagine this qualification is for people who have a Security Management role and wear many hats, so they can advise on policies, procedures and training. Or for someone at the sharp end wanting to progress and needing a bit of paper. So the sell to their line manager or client is "put me on the course to get this certificate and that's another box we can tick off in house, it's cheaper than a consultant."

IF it has any value it will be in who takes any notice of it. In the American market someone would be better putting the money towards one of the ASIS qualifications. In the last ten years since the chapters outside the US have become more popular these have also gained a wider following. Most of these qualifications are taken by people "in the job" and looking to progress. They also provide a means of networking. ( No I am not a member, but I know many. All very good at their jobs, but needed a bit of paper to let the idiots know they were).

Don't need to turn this into a novel. There are enough people collecting bits of paper for the course to make money and it gets someone out the office for a few days, not as punishing on the feet as an Expo and probably lighter on the wallet than the bar bills following another CT meeting.

Paig

I think you are missing the point here m8!
CCTP is not a training program. It is a certification. Same as the CPP credential from ASIS. If you think you have enough basic knowledge in the field of CT and you meet the requirements to participate you can do the exam. If you pass, you get your certificate and get registered as proof that you indeed possess the "pratitioner" knowlegde. So this helps if you wish to apply for a job or work as a consultant in this field. The three days course is what the company offers to help you pass the exam (which is not mandatory). Asis only provides the books, so self-study with as a result almost everybody fails the first time.
The three day course is based on Israeli standards! which you as a very experienced security professional should know that all their knowledge and SOP's come from real life situations, which means it is effective and it works! As you also know their security plan idea has become a world wide standard in many industries. There is a reason why several government agencies go for training to Israel.
I am a federal Agent,(not a deskjob) 16 years of exp. I did the course and the exam, and it was everything but a waste of time.
The class was a mix of private sector, military and law enforcement.The networking was a big bonus which is still growning through CCTP. Sharing knowledge, sharing thoughs and ideas,...
So before hammering something down because you don't know what it is or don't understand, maybe you should do some research first, you might even like what you find!
cheers!

Paig

CCTP is not a training program. It is a certification. Same as the CPP credential from ASIS. If you think you have enough basic knowledge in the field of CT and you meet the requirements to participate you can do the exam. If you pass, you get your certificate and get registered as proof that you indeed possess the "pratitioner" knowlegde. So this helps if you wish to apply for a job or work as a consultant in this field. The three days course is what the company offers to help you pass the exam (which is not mandatory). Asis only provides the books, so self-study with as a result almost everybody fails the first time.
The three day course is based on Israeli standards! which you as a very experienced security professional should know that all their knowledge and SOP's come from real life situations, which means it is effective and it works! As you also know their security plan idea has become a world wide standard in many industries. There is a reason why several government agencies go for training to Israel.
I am a federal Agent,(not a deskjob) 16 years of exp. I did the course and the exam, and it was everything but a waste of time.
The class was a mix of private sector, military and law enforcement.The networking was a big bonus which is still growning through CCTP. Sharing knowledge, sharing thoughts and ideas,...
So before hammering something down because you don't know what it is or don't understand, maybe you should do some research first, you might even like what you find!
cheers!

Last edited:

SCT

The question is, "Certified" by who?

I cannot find a single official body that recognizes this "certification". Requires further in-depth investigation.

Last edited:

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
I'll certify it, give me 500 of your hard earned yoyo's and I'll print you a cert, hell, I'll even give you a University degree into the bargain....

devils-kitchen

Full Registered User
Whilst CP World may be a good forum for discussion it has never been in my experience a good site for putting anything on that will genuinely be of benefit to others. This was certainly the case when in Afghanistan and I had won a new works contract in addition to the one I was already managing and was recruiting for British armed CPOs to operate across Afghanistan. The negative comments from some CTP World members led me to take the decision to never again post an advertisement on CCTP World for recruitment purposes as there are too many members who seem to take delight in making cynical comments/posts.

The CCTP course being offered by SGW is, as has already been stated, not intended to be a training course to teach an individual how to be a ninja!, you have to already possess a great deal of knowledge and experience (the clue is in he wording that you have to already be a security professional, operating at "mid to senior level"). The CCTP course is being offered to prepare you for the taking of the Certification exam. If you have not already obtained many years experience at the International level and have not already obtained qualification which give testimony to your Continued Professional Development then perhaps this course is not for you but, to those of you looking to increase your knowledge base even further and to obtain certification thereof then I for one believe this to be a good course and certainly worthy of further consideration / your own research.

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
Whilst CP World may be a good forum for discussion it has never been in my experience a good site for putting anything on that will genuinely be of benefit to others. This was certainly the case when in Afghanistan and I had won a new works contract in addition to the one I was already managing and was recruiting for British armed CPOs to operate across Afghanistan. The negative comments from some CTP World members led me to take the decision to never again post an advertisement on CCTP World for recruitment purposes as there are too many members who seem to take delight in making cynical comments/posts.

Very wide brush strokes here, though there are a large number of people who do seem to pull a discussion down, there would seem to be enough serious discussion and help to keep a lot of users interested.

And you would seem to be taking the Sean Connery route.

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
The CCTP course being offered by SGW is, as has already been stated, not intended to be a training course to teach an individual how to be a ninja!, you have to already possess a great deal of knowledge and experience (the clue is in he wording that you have to already be a security professional, operating at "mid to senior level"). The CCTP course is being offered to prepare you for the taking of the Certification exam. If you have not already obtained many years experience at the International level and have not already obtained qualification which give testimony to your Continued Professional Development then perhaps this course is not for you but, to those of you looking to increase your knowledge base even further and to obtain certification thereof then I for one believe this to be a good course and certainly worthy of further consideration / your own research.

But you still have not said who the examining body is!

If I'm already an experienced security professional what currency does this certificate have in the job market.
Where is it accepted and by whom?

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
The class was a mix of private sector, military and law enforcement.The networking was a big bonus which is still growning through CCTP. Sharing knowledge, sharing thoughs and ideas,...
cheers!

Strange that your a federal agent,with so many years of experience, monitoring this site and only this particular, rather boring thread prompts you to sign up and break cover!

TMAC

Longterm Registered User

Totally disagree.

The issue is that there are so many walts, dreamers and scam artists posting stuff here, that the 'seasoned and competent professional' are wide to it.

You will find that those who have genuine jobs/courses/opportunities know how a) to put them across in a professional manner with proper contact details and b) what questions will be posed and how to mitigate the onslaught of doubters.

Those of us who are cynical and not afraid to call the bullshit as we see it, do so for the protection of the more inexperienced and naive amongst the membership.

I would wager that the 'cynicism' shown here has saved many from making dramatic and costly mistakes.

You will notice that the OP has not come back to either clarify their position or answer the questions posed. That to me speaks volumes....

Any idiot can design a course and certify it, but without industry recognition it's not with the paper it's written on.

Ivan67

Longterm Registered User
Lots of people can say this. How is a client who is looking for a subject matter expert and knows nothing about it themselves to avoid picking a convincing Walt.

The client checks the operators past performances; anyone who spent as much time in the industry as I have knows that you can always past performances, contracting Officers (POCs) through official government channels.

Sure walts can be convincing but you can not fake calling a government agency(s) or emailing the Contracting Officers.

Last and damn sure most certain fact; any operator stepping away from the direct employ or contract of an agency into the commercial side will be doing this for money. Such corps hiring such operators have more than enough various resources of their own to ensure this person is not a walt, then add that with the operators own contacts.

When I crossed over to the corporate side of the industry I did not accept less than $545,000 annual salary under a four year contract with a Cost Plus option and 10% annual bonus. People who hire for such positions do not just give their money away, the operators in most cases is a Needed Asset and the employer has to get the all clear from the insurance company.

CT, there is only clear cut verification. Anyone who tries to play that its Classified Card is a wanker. Sure you must often wait a few years to name exact contracts if that, but anyone naming dropping contracts is full of it, Contracting Officers verify all in their own little way, and more often than not are Field Grades or higher ranking agency.

You pull even 20 years in the industry and you do not go looking for work, they come to you and in many cases several times a year, the closer your contract is to the end date to more people contact you, this is normally because your boss is changing firms too and he/she is marketing you like a footballer being traded.

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User

cheers!

Wanted to private mail you but can´t sorry.
After the research I needed, the facts that I found discouraging and lead me to share my feeling were:
1º private entity (member of a gazillion private entities, ok).
2º Private certificate lacking any education body/military org or even a non for profit organization at least to support it.
3º secret teachers and mystery all around.
4º pay to get your previous knowledge certified?

Now you tell me you did it and it is based on Israel, great!, allow me a fast check:
A Israel has male and female compulsory military service
B Israel has a widespread gun ownership politics
C Israel has a media and civil society "favorable" to whatever anti-terror measures needed, may it be bombardment, expropriations, human rights diminished for some people,... hope you get it ;)
D Israel is a nice place to go and train counter terrorism because, cause, errr you can use firearms!, has all the glamour! and marketing! and... nothing more, sorry, counter terrorism is about disabling before the attacks, not retaliation and civil CCTP in western world is far away from Israel as far as I have ever been shown.
Imagine starting to "random filter" your population/clients/staff in the "israel way", trying to get armed response teams on plain sight should be my least worry.

"When you just have a hammer all your problems are nails for you" is the quote that reflects the situation there, sorry, and on top of all, you need a new passport after your weekend in Dimona learning civil engineering if you want to ever visit a muslim country and that is a pain of paperwork.