By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!


Jun 29, 2007
Chad Travel Warnings

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with an amendment to the Summary, Political Situation and Local Travel section (rebel and army clashes). The overall level of the advice has not changed.

We advise against all but essential travel to N’djamena and against all travel to the rest of Chad. On 18 September there were media reports of violence near Adre, along the border with Sudan. . Further rebel and army clashes cannot be ruled out. If, against our advice, you decide to remain in eastern Chad or the areas near the borders with Sudan/the Central African Republic (CAR), you should keep a low profile, seek local advice and continue to monitor this travel advice. See the Local Travel and Political Situation sections of this advice for more details.

There is no British Embassy in Chad. In an emergency, you can obtain consular assistance through the British High Commission in Yaoundé, Cameroon. See the Contact Details of this advice for more details.

The overall political and security situation is uncertain, and could change rapidly. If you do travel to Chad, we recommend that you keep abreast of events through the local media and ensure that you register your presence with the British High Commission in Yaoundé. If you intend to travel outside N’djamena, you will require authorisation from the Ministry of the Interior.

You should carry identification at all times (either a residence permit or a certified copy of your passport). Failure to produce such identification can lead to detention by the police.

The area bordering Libya remains heavily land-mined and the border is subject to closure. The borders with Sudan and the CAR are also subject to closure at little or no notice.

You should also be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be against civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners.

We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake. See the General (Insurance) section of this advice and the Travel Insurance page of the FCO website for more details.
Top Bottom