Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheap little tablet

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
I recently bought myself a Scroll Pocket mini tablet. I wanted something cheap to take to festivals, I didn't want to have the expense of an extra phone with a contract as I already have a Mifi dongle. I also wanted it separate from a phone as a smart phone runs down batteries much faster than mine and needs a stronger signal.

So I found this retailing at around £40 and am pleasantly surprised. It does all the stuff you expect a tablet to do. Its probably a little more suited to people with small fingers as the screen is small but functions perfectly well. I've watched videos and looked at photos taken on a decent camera and the screen has a good picture quality. Sound quality is pretty good and better through ear plugs.

It only has 4Gb memory within but you can plug a 32Gb micro SD card in the side. It also has a fully functioning mini USB port that means you can transfer files to and from a memory stick and you can do this straight from the micro SD card. You can also operate a USB keyboard. So apart from using it as a cheap tablet, it may be useful for SV types that have a need to transfer files from remote recording equipment without the need to remove the equipment or take laptop along.

Batteries last 4 hours when watching video and charge in about 2 hours.

It does also have a voice recorder and a camera, but the camera quality is only 0.3 Mp

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
Six months later... What do you think of it now?
Thinking of buying a couple... Yes? No? Maybe? But?

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
Well it got used for 3 months over the summer and I'm still really pleased with it. Only 3 slight problems
On two occasions when it had virtually run down and needed charging the clock reset. I'm not sure if this was the device itself or some glitch in the charger supply upsetting it. Because I didn't bother putting the clock right (and hadn't noticed the date was also out) it then decided that all internet software had expired security certificates. This stopped my email as well. As I was at a festival I presumed it was overloaded comms systems and so it took me a while to realise all I had to do was set the date and time!
On about 3 occasions the keyboard thinks its there when there's only a narrow line at the bottom of the screen, you can put it down and up again and still just a narrow line. The simple solution is to turn it from landscape orientation and back again.

There are no cursor keys on the standard keyboard, this can be a pain when writing in forums and messages on Facebook as they don't seem to scroll right or put the cursor in the place you tap. This is not entirely down to the device as I have the same problem on my bigger tablet but that has cursor keys so I can correct it easier.

I have found another use for it. Being small enough to put n any pocket if I have a doctors appointment or similar where I know I'm going to be waiting a while, I take it along and use the eBook reader. Despite the small screen that works really well, you can change font and background and foreground colours. It even has two lots of settings so you can have different colours for day and night and switch between the two with a couple of taps.

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
One thing I forgot to mention was that it also has an option for encrypting your files. Normally the password only stops people getting in through the operating system, they could pull out the memory and download all your files with another device. By encrypting the actual files they would have to work out the encryption key in order to access the files. I haven't used it and have no idea how good the encrypting is but it might be an advantage to some.

Top Bottom