Checking it’s real in Dayton Ohio.

Oddjob

Longterm Registered User
Anyone got any contacts near Dayton Ohio. Springboro to be exact:
I’m about to purchase a 64 Lincoln Continental Sedan
And don’t want to get stung.
I’d like someone to go visit. Take some photos, see and hear the car run. I’m doing the purchase through an escrow shipping agent, but they’re in Houston.
I don’t need a mechanical appraisal. Just proof the car exists.
I don’t fancy flying to Dayton.
But will if I must.
Or has any of you guys got a better suggestion.
Thanks
OddJob
I’ll pay £150 for the task.

Did you run the vin yet, see where the car spent most of its life. Northern states and you are going to have rust issues.

If it is a cabrio, with that model and many other older US cars you can almoost bet that you will need to replace floor board and body frame mounts.

Do you have a link you would not mind sharing? Just asking because I have owwneed many old US cars my self, likely could finnd you one from a state that is not know for its rust, closer to a port city even for around the same price.

For me when I shopped for an old US car or truck I avoided large cities, country people where better to deal with, either they had a low ball price or dreams of big city money so you could get them down in price. Country folks seem to take better care as well.

I got my 68 Road Runner back in 1999 for 400 US at a bar one night, very well taken care of car and cleared customs to ship overseas. >It was too factory to even change anything but it only lasted a few days in Europe and someone offered me 38,000 German Marks.

I have never been able to keep an old US truck or car in Europe longer than a few months before meeting someone who offers me some crazy sell price.

Big thing I found on many older us car sales is the Lost Tittle BS line. I only fell for it one time and filed for the paperwork. Turns out it had a lean on it and there was nothing I could do about it. The seller vanished and I was stuck with just reporting the fraud.

OJ,

It not the same as getting someone to look at it but as a last resort you can get the seller to FaceTime you.
Get them to give the car a walk around and you also get a look at them, mobile number etc.
My advice is try STC, he stands a good chance of knowing someone in the area...

Regards

premier

I found another one in California
North of the city.
I think it’s going to be easier to fly out.
The guy even did me a couple of ‘proof of life’ videos.
Personalised films showing me around the car by name.
With the car starting and running .
All the electrics operating.
Hopefully this one will go to the finish.

OJ,

Quick flight to California,
Take the Mrs, look at the car then have a couple nights in Las Vegas and then head back home.
It is Valentine’s Day next week!!!

Regards

premier

Update
Our first choice car in California has sort of dropped off the grid; when pressed for under body photos (of the car !) and the prospect of an inspection.
We contacted a guy called ‘kiwi steve’ who comes highly recommended by. A mutual associate. He seems to be what we need when looking for a car nearly as old as me.
Now we’ve found one in Savannah.
Which in all the photos sent looks like a better bet in many ways.
The current owner seems to have concentrated on the engine and chassis. Fits more in our remit and it’s a dealer. (Unsure if that’s good or bad really)
But very willing to show us a wealth of under body shots.
Further from California So comes with its own issues of a face to face look again.
I’ve got a cataract op happening in the next week. Stopping me flying for 10 days or so.
I suppose if it was easy it wouldn’t be worth having I suppose.

Worth it in the end though....I have PoC’s in Arizona, Seattle, NYC, Cali and Kentucky if any of those produce a potential purchase....

OddJob - good luck with your continuing car search - you send just get yourself an mil soft top landrover ? hope all well with you and yours - take it easy BZ

ACM Air Charters; about 7 years ago I needed to LA and I think it was only around 18K CHF.

Private charter is the only way to go since the towers attack, you do not have to deal with all the idiots at the airport or from the airline.

Back