Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Client Charges

larro

Full Registered User
Hi all
first post on this forum so be kind lads
ok thinking of starting up a small business in the EP market
both in Ireland and the UK Question is What are the going rates to a
potential client on the hourly rate for team members i have a
good idea for the French market but dont want to over or
worse under charge.

Thanks in advance

fbg

Do some market research, no reputable company is going to give you their rates so you can undercut them.

larro

Full Registered User
thanks fbg
i do realise that plus looking at some of the treads
here and on other sites there seems to be a lot of under handed
crap going on but thanks for the reply appricate it

protectasia

Longterm Registered User
How much a day do you work for as a single operator?

How much will your operating costs be?

Last edited:

larro

Full Registered User
operating cost at the moment are low as we do not have offices
as we need to build a reputation in the industry so insurance is the main
outgoing, as for single operator the rate in ireland is between 250 to 300 a day
depending on who what where and when uk is 120 to 180 all this is depending
on experiance as you no, again im just trying to get ducks in a row, the irish market
would run the same as europe in the days wage end of it

protectasia

Longterm Registered User
Just trying to get you to answer your own question. Your rates need to support what you do, not necessarily what others are charging.

larro

Full Registered User
well thats the daily wage to be paid to operators not whats charged to client
i do no what you mean though

thanks

larro

Full Registered User
so very true to many plus the fact so many are working the
industry now and the overseas market unless ur a US
Citizian there is feck all work for contractors who like me
from ireland find it hard to get security clearance to work in the
overseas market

premier

Longterm Registered User
Larro,

Client charge rates can be worked out by with a simple equation, but only you as the contract holder know.
For example day rate = X , % mark up = Y , operating costs, insurance , back office etc all fall into Z.

So (X + Y) + Z... this will provide you with your daily running cost, you must first know your X!

Lets say for arguments sake X is £200, Y is 20% and Z is £400 a month or £13.15/day
so a daily minimum charge is £253.15 per person deployed on a task which gives the operator £200 and the firm £53.15
if you are VAT registered you then need to add that on.

This only works if you have operators working £200/day who invoice you as a legit contractor, otherwise you get shafted from the tax man!!,
or rather your LTD company has some difficult questions to answer.

The next thing you must establish is what is a day, is it 10 hours 12, or 24?

I've been lucky as when I'm with "The Boss" I am on my rate whether its 10 min or 18 hours its a full day, we both except this, swings and roundabouts as they say!

Regards

premier

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Have you considered the size of your market, or lack thereof?

Unless you have a pipeline of clients I can see you working 10-15 days a year in ROI, and being lucky to get the rates you have mentioned.

And while there is no licensing requirement for CP here, I would not like to fall foul of the PSA for providing an unlicensed security service

One can argue that because CP is not specifically provided for in the legislation that it is exempt however, if one looks at the legislation

"security guard†means a person who for remuneration guards or patrols or provides any other protective services in relation to persons or property and includes a person who for those purposes—

(a) provides those services exclusively for an employer who is not a private security employer,

(b) monitors security equipment,

(c) supervises and inspects security guards while they are guarding or patrolling,

(d) accompanies a guard dog while the dog is guarding or patrolling, or

(e) controls, supervises, regulates, restricts or directs the movements of persons, whether in vehicles or otherwise, in relation to any premises or any other place where a public or private event or function is taking place or about to take place", specifically the first line, then it becomes less clear.

There are a couple of firms providing dedicated CP here, the rest will pull in DS and unlicensed ex-mil/Police when the need arises, and generally pay them peanuts.

Food for thought.

Heno

Full Registered User
Hi TMAC,

I actually spoke with a PSA inspector about this late last year. We were talking about CP and RST, and specifically if the PSA considers RST to fall within the remit of the PSA.

He was pretty definitive in saying that CP and RST in the sense of doing it at a private residence DO NOT fall under a licence-able security service.

I asked could he actually give us that in writing..................................still waiting.....

We also discussed the current state of affairs with security companies behaving inappropriately and/or heavy handed whilst doing evictions. Apparently, that's not a licence-able activity either.

I've also come across companies advertising for "customer liaison roles" instead of Door supervisors as a way to get around the licencing requirements, again he seemed to think that customer liaison wasn't covered by the PSA....

So, while there is no requirement at present, I woudn't trust them to play ball if for example they decide all of a sudden that RST is in-fact static guarding.....

Heno

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Hi TMAC,

I actually spoke with a PSA inspector about this late last year. We were talking about CP and RST, and specifically if the PSA considers RST to fall within the remit of the PSA.

He was pretty definitive in saying that CP and RST in the sense of doing it at a private residence DO NOT fall under a licence-able security service.

I asked could he actually give us that in writing..................................still waiting.....

We also discussed the current state of affairs with security companies behaving inappropriately and/or heavy handed whilst doing evictions. Apparently, that's not a licence-able activity either.

I've also come across companies advertising for "customer liaison roles" instead of Door supervisors as a way to get around the licencing requirements, again he seemed to think that customer liaison wasn't covered by the PSA....

So, while there is no requirement at present, I woudn't trust them to play ball if for example they decide all of a sudden that RST is in-fact static guarding.....

Heno
Lol, it is or it isn't until G4Stupid or Manguard Plus decide that they are losing out because of it, then the rules will be changed to suit them!

But as you say, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.....and they won't put anything in writing, EVER!!!

Gimme a buzz, was wondering where you about these days!

Top Bottom