Client ID

TeddyFox

Full Registered User
Hi everyone

What are other investigators protocols for taking ID for clients? I've had about half a dozen call this week all wanting services on a no names basis - not how I like to operate and have been unsuccessful in convincing them to go ahead because of this.

Interested to hear about other people's experiences re this.

Kind regards

TF

No names or no proof of ID?

Licensing, if there was any, would request due diligence on clients and suppliers.

In the absence of licensing its down to personal preference.

Best practice would be to confirm that your client was who they said they were or how do you know if you are breaking the law supplying them with the services they ask of you.

I completely agree, hence why I insist on proof of ID - just wondered if this was an issue for others. Frustrating that people still see the industry as 'underhand' and think that they could instruct someone without providing it.

I'm sure they are some investigators that might still do the work, but it's fraught with danger as you rightly state.

TF

The Security Industry Authority
Excerpt from the SIA Standards of Behaviour for Professional Investigators:

Code 1
An investigator must ensure that they confirm clients’ identities and establish that they have the legal and moral right to commission an investigation.

Peter @ ISS Training

The Security Industry Authority
Excerpt from the SIA Standards of Behaviour for Professional Investigators:

Code 1
An investigator must ensure that they confirm clients’ identities and establish that they have the legal and moral right to commission an investigation.

Peter @ ISS Training

Unfortunately statutory licensing has not progressed as promised. So training and an introduction to the Code are not yet a requirement to act as an investigator. No disrespect to Teddyfox, if it was investigators wouldn't need to ask these questions.

Thanks for the responses all.

I think I've been misunderstood here. I have not and do not take on work without first checking ID and reasons behind the work. What I was getting at was how do other investigators deal with the types of clients I described above, as I've been unsuccessful in convincing them to provide me with ID so I've drawn those calls to an end.

I'm trained and from a professional services background so wouldn't operate without - it isn't worth my business!!

Last edited:
Teddy,

I think your practice is spot on, similar to those I use... With the exception of if the client want a no name relationship they must come via a solicitors office. I will then take an instruction from the lawyer who has done their due diligence and covered their ass and mine by instructing me and all I use is a client number

Regards

premier

Back