Close protection Earpiece

D

DavideMarrone

Hi guys i was wondering how can the bodyguards in the movies talk with PTT microphone in the sleeve? how can they do it? I have the same earpiece but if i don't push it to talk i can't talk, how can they fit the PTT in their sleeve and talk without pushing it? I mean look at the link below
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8ul6sEFFAmA/maxresdefault.jpg
How the hell can they talk in their sleeve without pushing the PTT microphone? And how do they fit in their sleeve to talk like that without pushing the PTT? I've the same earpiece but i've never figured out how can they fit in their sleeve that PTT without pushing it to talk.
Does anybody of you have an idea? It's just to know about it.

Thanks

Eh, they don’t.....

Some rigs have a finger button with clips around one of your digits and you press it with the other, but these guys are reading from a script, there isn’t actually anyone listening on the other end.

If this is a piss take then fair play, if it’s not, then oops

Eh, they don’t.....

Some rigs have a finger button with clips around one of your digits and you press it with the other, but these guys are reading from a script, there isn’t actually anyone listening on the other end.

If this is a piss take then fair play, if it’s not, then oops

So do you think they're faking to talk into the PTT for the script? do you really think is a piss take?
What if it's not? if it's not a fake that would be the dilemma of all the close protection officers :)

It's called a 3 wire earpiece, one goes to your ear with the curly bit on, one has the mic, one has the button.
You can put the mic where you like, but typically on your lapel so you can talk 'normally' rather than looking like a muppet talking to your wrist, the button wire I wear down my sleeve, under my watch to hold it in place then the button sits nicely in your hand.
Cheaper 2 wire rigs have the button and mic in the same place, which I guess is what you've seen.

Advantages of 3 wire are you can have your hand in your pocket, covertly pressing the button to open the transmission while the mic pics up what's being said, so others on your team can listen in to you talking down a threat or just dealing with something and they can hear and react accordingly, you can't do that with a 2 wire setup.

'Talking to yourself' or to your sleeve/lapel etc also gets you pinged as security and typically you can do your job better if you remain unnoticed as much as possible, especially in a corporate environment at least, so you can repeat the above while holding your mobile to your ear with the other hand, looking like everyone else on a call while covertly talking to the team.

Alternatives to that are wireless, so no silly pigtail curly wire for everyone to see, or if you're with a team who all know exactly what they're doing, don't use a radio at all, use looks and gestures with a regular mobile as backup or where you need to call in a car etc - remaining covert is key to most jobs, the movies don't care about any of that and they need things to happen in a very obvious way to the viewer to help the story along.

Last edited:
It's called a 3 wire earpiece, one goes to your ear with the curly bit on, one has the mic, one has the button.
You can put the mic where you like, but typically on your lapel so you can talk 'normally' rather than looking like a muppet talking to your wrist, the button wire I wear down my sleeve, under my watch to hold it in place then the button sits nicely in your hand.
Cheaper 2 wire rigs have the button and mic in the same place, which I guess is what you've seen.

Advantages of 3 wire are you can have your hand in your pocket, covertly pressing the button to open the transmission while the mic pics up what's being said, so others on your team can listen in to you talking down a threat or just dealing with something and they can hear and react accordingly, you can't do that with a 2 wire setup.

'Talking to yourself' or to your sleeve/lapel etc also gets you pinged as security and typically you can do your job better if you remain unnoticed as much as possible, especially in a corporate environment at least, so you can repeat the above while holding your mobile to your ear with the other hand, looking like everyone else on a call while covertly talking to the team.

Alternatives to that are wireless, so no silly pigtail curly wire for everyone to see, or if you're with a team who all know exactly what they're doing, don't use a radio at all, use looks and gestures with a regular mobile as backup or where you need to call in a car etc - remaining covert is key to most jobs, the movies don't care about any of that and they need things to happen in a very obvious way to the viewer to help the story along.

Thanks mate now i got it, so it should be something like that shouldn't it?
http://www.headsetusa.com/content/downloads/data-sheets/earpiece-Stealth.jpg

Yep, you can get beige coloured sets too, so the button blends in with your hand better (assuming you're a white guy of course)

Yep, you can get beige coloured sets too, so the button blends in with your hand better (assuming you're a white guy of course)

Can you send me a picture of the model you got or a link just to show me? And can you explain me better how do you fit the PTT? cause i didn't get it

Thanks again mate

So do you think they're faking to talk into the PTT for the script? do you really think is a piss take?
What if it's not? if it's not a fake that would be the dilemma of all the close protection officers :)

Always a possibility mate, some good answers below...I’m just a cynical ****er so assume everyone is on a windup until proven otherwise

Always a possibility mate, some good answers below...I’m just a cynical ****er so assume everyone is on a windup until proven otherwise

Can't see your earpiece picture file below mate...

Can you send me a picture of the model you got or a link just to show me? And can you explain me better how do you fit the PTT? cause i didn't get it

Thanks again mate

There are lots available, depending on the make and model of your radio setup but below shows you what they look like
https://hytera.co.uk/accessories/ean21

As far as wearing it goes it's not rocket science
http://national2way.com/media/catal...33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/_/3_silhouette.jpg

The radio goes somewhere comfortable and out of the way, which depends on the job and what you're wearing.
That may be just clipped to a belt if you're in a suit, inside pocket if wearing a big winter jacket that you know you won't be taking off, shoulder sling if you're in running kit out with the boss around Hyde park, thigh sling if you need to hide it under your pants while wearing just a summer shirt on your top half etc

Wires route where you need them but under clothing so they're as invisible as possible. You can use bits of Micropore First aid tape to stick them in place if you need, and as mentioned above, route under your watch strap to stop the pressel button disappearing up your sleeve if you stretch out for something etc

Different situations and jobs, and people are different shapes and sizes, so spend a bit of time playing and experimenting, and how you set it all up one day might be different the next day.

MrBlonde,

I have just looked, it answered my question... off the medication!!

Regards

premier

Very funny guys, the masters of protection we have here, if you really were good in what you do, you woudn't be here.
I just asked to talk about and just to know, cause i can even ask you what you don't know and make fun of ya but i'm not that kind of person.
So stay on your way and try not to offend the others cause is not professional but probably you're not. The discussion is over, don't wanna talk anymore.

Thanks

Oh no please stay, we need to learn from the "Guru of CP"
25 years old with so much experience how will we ever get to the heights you have reached.

Bye

Regards

premier

Oh no please stay, we need to learn from the "Guru of CP"
25 years old with so much experience how will we ever get to the heights you have reached.

Bye

Regards

premier

You're right, you're the best, the best CPO on a forum to get job and discuss about it,
The best CPO that if he was really good as he says he wouldn't spend time here on a forum, cause the best CPO has not time for this bullshit.
Anyway if you're the best cpo with over 25 experience old, you should learn a lesson that you should haven't already learnt....
With over 25 experience old you haven't learnt the humility.
Think about it and be a little bit humbler cause even this make a pro a really pro.
As i said the discussion is over and i'm not gonna ask you twice.

Regards

Thanks

More humble not humbler,
Grammar is important but I thought you had decided not to contribute any more?
Get your crayons little lad, go and draw yourself a diagram of how to correctly fit a 3 wire set up, next week throat microphones will be top of the agenda.
You can use it on your PS4

Bye again

Regards

premier

Very funny guys, the masters of protection we have here, if you really were good in what you do, you woudn't be here.
I just asked to talk about and just to know, cause i can even ask you what you don't know and make fun of ya but i'm not that kind of person.
So stay on your way and try not to offend the others cause is not professional but probably you're not. The discussion is over, don't wanna talk anymore.

Thanks

Oh dear, looks like I was correct then. You need a thick skin in this line of work and Walts always give themselves away by how they react to the first little prod.
I spend time on here because every day's a school day and I get to learn from guys like Premier and I get to help genuine newbies to the industry. You also get to make connections and broaden your network that leads to or assists you with work.
If you genuinely are interested in this line of work and just exaggerated your experience then keep your head down and learn stuff, alternatively keep your head above the parapet and keep us entertained.

You're right, you're the best, the best CPO on a forum to get job and discuss about it,
The best CPO that if he was really good as he says he wouldn't spend time here on a forum, cause the best CPO has not time for this bullshit.
Anyway if you're the best cpo with over 25 experience old, you should learn a lesson that you should haven't already learnt....
With over 25 experience old you haven't learnt the humility.
Think about it and be a little bit humbler cause even this make a pro a really pro.
As i said the discussion is over and i'm not gonna ask you twice.

Regards

Thanks

From a neutral point of view, if you ask a silly question with the CV you have put up on your profile you need to expect a level of scrutiny.
If you admit ur a novice and new to it all, then that's different.

You have had good answers here and responded like a child.
Suck it up and learn, man up or you will get nowhere in this business.
You clearly have never served in the military by your response.

Back