Close Protection or Executive Protection?

shinobisecurity

Full Registered User
I know many of you are from the U.K. Here in the U.S. nobody uses the term Close protection. I only heard this term while within the U.K. Generally anything that is considered close protection is referred to as EP and sometime dignitary protection or personal protection here in the U.S.

Is there an actual difference or just different terminologies from across the pond? Would you say Close Protection and Executive Protection is synonymous?

As above, but you might use both depending on audience as a way to slightly tailor the description of what you're doing.

I carry out Close Protection of staff heading to dodgy places, but I manage the Executive Protection programe for the Directors.
I work with a visiting team to help them plan a close protection detail for a visitor coming to see us at an event, while carrying out Executive Protection of our MD at the same event.

Fundamentally it's the same job, but the expectations of the Principal can vary a lot depending on who they are and that includes the way you talk to them or explain what you're doing. It can also mean a slight perception shift on the part of the operator, tell them they're on an Executive Protection detail and they (sometimes) behave differently to 'doing a CP job'

Back