Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Close Protection Wages

mally1

Administrator
Close Protection Wages

Most close protection officers (CPOs) are self-employed. Salaries for employed posts depend on the client or company, the length of the contract, the officer's experience and the risks involved.

Daily rates for CPOs in low risk areas can be around £100 to £150 a day plus expenses.

CPOs with high levels of responsibility or working in high risk areas can earn up to and above £500 a day.

Figures are intended as a guideline only

source learndirect-advice.co.uk

D

Deleted member 33

You don't get paid for what you do, you get paid for what you may have to do and when that time comes, you will never be paid enough.

mally1

Administrator
Hi Rich

Yep, you can go 6 months without an incident and earn ebough money to buy a house (well I live in the north east) however all it takes it one road side device and money don't matter anymore!

Andrew.McEwan

Full Registered User
Pay

Hi,

Well im waiting on my SIA to come through (past the Course few months ago)...

Unfortunately im not ex-forces so im going to have to grind up the ladder the hard way, but hoping my experience as a Door Supervisor for 6 years will help me, plus my dedication to perfecting anything i do.

I would be happy to earn £100 - £150 for a few years till i get some good experience under my belt.

But want to make a good career out of this and looking to become a big player in the corporate protection area... ( celebrities if i have to but prefer to work for business professionals)

so if anyone has advice feel free to let me know

Andrew

Andrew,

you have the right idea avoiding the celebs. I have friends who are covering one or two"big names" who are looking at walking soon. (apparently glorified baggage handlers) the crux of it is, if your hands are full you can't react (unless of course they are full of cold 9 milly) and unless I'm armed I aint working. As you'll know working the door, if your rolling around with someone, you can't cover your arcs or protect your principle from the 3rd party. You probably wouldn't have any problems but the majority of gorillas that protect celebs woudn't last 30 seconds if it kicked off.

Stay safe and good luck with the job hunting. By the way look up Armor Group they're always looking for motivated individuals.

diesel

Longterm Registered User
People moan about how low the wages are, both in the UK, Overseas (both high and low risk) but in reality they are only going to get lower.

With the introduction of the SIA CP license it has caused the market to become totally flooded beyond saturation, whereas previously this industry was a self regulating one, with 99% of work being allocated by a "who you know" type refferal system.

Now companies who operate in Iraq, Afghanistan, UK, and Europe know that if you turn down work for £150 a day wherever it may be - there is a long, long queue behind you of guys who WILL work for that money.

Since the inception of the "private security" industry, which most people relate to the beginning of PSD in Iraq (in reality it was way, way before) when wages were anything from $500 to $800 a day in Iraq...however since every man and his dog wants to become a "PSD", "CP" expert there are about 50 guys for evryone job there is.

In other fields, such as security and risk consultancy, the wages have seen no decrease at all and have even seen a little increase. These job markets in parts of Africa as embedded consultants with large corporations are all long term and most guys who are working them, have ran the gun in Iraq at the beginning, then moved over to other markets and are still earning "pop star" wages!!!!!

Just my two pence

co19

Diesel is exactly right, getting into consultancy and security amangement is the best step forward and the money is there.

syldogg

Full Registered User
Close Protection Wages

Most close protection officers (CPOs) are self-employed. Salaries for employed posts depend on the client or company, the length of the contract, the officer's experience and the risks involved.

Daily rates for CPOs in low risk areas can be around £100 to £150 a day plus expenses.

CPOs with high levels of responsibility or working in high risk areas can earn up to and above £500 a day.

Figures are intended as a guideline only

source learndirect-advice.co.uk
Hi what you think is a good price a close protection officer should be paid in a low threat situation, for example in a caribbean island.

dodger

Super Moderator
Depends where they go in the Caribbean as when i was there some places were very rough! but around 150 to 200 a day (sterling) again task dependant your experiance etc, me i would ask 250 to 350 but thats me Im greedy!!
by the way this thread is 2 years old so will have decreased in that area maybe !!

waynem007

Longterm Registered User
I agree that the SIA being axed with regards to CP at least but im afraid as previously mentioned the damage has already been done and the world is now under the impression that CP is the same as working the doors but better paid and its only a guarenteed pass mark away, its bollocks and i think the future of the industry is very rocky to say the least. I hope im wrong but only time will tell.

As the saying goes "you cant un-ring a bell"

Humble opinion as always!!!!!

ste999s

Longterm Registered User
Hi,

Well im waiting on my SIA to come through (past the Course few months ago)...

Unfortunately im not ex-forces so im going to have to grind up the ladder the hard way, but hoping my experience as a Door Supervisor for 6 years will help me, plus my dedication to perfecting anything i do.

I would be happy to earn £100 - £150 for a few years till i get some good experience under my belt.

But want to make a good career out of this and looking to become a big player in the corporate protection area... ( celebrities if i have to but prefer to work for business professionals)

so if anyone has advice feel free to let me know

Andrew

personally i dont think £100 to £150 for cp low risk or not is enough especially if its a 12 hour shift. and the reason why the rate for cp work is going down is right there what andrew said ' i would do it to get experience' fcuk everyone else. i dont care about them. thats why companies are taking the p15s out of everyone and lowering the rates. the security sector is in ruins because of this attitude. everyone wants experience but it shouldnt be done to the detriment of everyone else. get the job by merit/network./friends etc.

SOCRATIS

Longterm Registered User
Pay should be around 15 - 20 pounds per hour! If you think the companies are not charging 40 or 50 per hr per body on the ground your mistaken.

martinscott

Longterm Registered User
personally i dont think £100 to £150 for cp low risk or not is enough especially if its a 12 hour shift. and the reason why the rate for cp work is going down is right there what andrew said ' i would do it to get experience' fcuk everyone else. i dont care about them. thats why companies are taking the p15s out of everyone and lowering the rates. the security sector is in ruins because of this attitude. everyone wants experience but it shouldnt be done to the detriment of everyone else. get the job by merit/network./friends etc.
Ste999 I am sorry but new guys like myself are damned if we do ,damned if we don't.Surely after spending out x amount of thousands of pounds for quality cpo training and that still not being enough to secure work ,then surely you can not condem the guy for working for less than you are prepared to work for.
Simple economics mean that companies will use these guys and they will do it because this industry is so focused on not what you know but who,he can only take advantage of the situation when its offered and that will be seldom if you believe the bias of cpo versus work.
I don't blame you for thinking its devalued but don't forget you can get the work you put in for because you have the contacts and knowledge,and who knows one day so will he and so will I,and then maybe we can name our price but until then think on he won't be eating at your table.
Sorry this is blunt but you guys won't be around forever and you gotta give us new guys a chance to learn.
:cool:

ste999s

Longterm Registered User
i am pretty new to CP myself but i still wouldnt do a task for such low pay as i know that it devalues the job. i have done a few jobs myself and i know how hard it is to get work. but devalue it now and the rate will never go back up. its wrong and you know its wrong to take them jobs at such low pay when you know the rate at which the hirers are getting per person for that job. drag the time out and the hirers will eventually put the rates higher because no-one will do the work until a decent wage is commanded. if you had morals you know that it makes sense and that selfish attitudes is what is letting the security sector down

ServatorSec

Full Registered User
Diesel is exactly right, getting into consultancy and security amangement is the best step forward and the money is there.
yes I agree the money is there...but its there for a reason.

The average CP could not be a Security and risk assessment manager or consultant, as to do this effectively the practitioner needs not only significant experience, but also a sound understanding of a variety of subjects including

management skills
business/economic understanding
criminology theories
law
political/current affairs understanding (international security)
I.T/computing/networking/
logistics

To name just a few......

Qualifications help such, as a degree in security management & risk assessment and furthermore being a member of an association like the ASIS really helps.

So the money is there because it bloody hard to get there....most front line practitioners don't have the desire to go down that learning path which in reality is 4 years education (minimum) and some serious related work experience. in comparison the CP can be obtained by anyone who goes on a 21 day course, normally paid for by an elc scheme.

That's why the market is flooded with surplus CPO's.....and its only going to get worse as the MOD cuts back in the next few years.

martinscott

Longterm Registered User
i am pretty new to CP myself but i still wouldnt do a task for such low pay as i know that it devalues the job. i have done a few jobs myself and i know how hard it is to get work. but devalue it now and the rate will never go back up. its wrong and you know its wrong to take them jobs at such low pay when you know the rate at which the hirers are getting per person for that job. drag the time out and the hirers will eventually put the rates higher because no-one will do the work until a decent wage is commanded. if you had morals you know that it makes sense and that selfish attitudes is what is letting the security sector down
Ste999 just looked at your profile and can totally understand where you are coming from very similar background to myself but I bet it was one of your mates who got you. Your first job so to a degree the uncertianty is taken away .Not everyone is that lucky so whether its 100 or 1000 per day the guy is gonna do it just for that chance to prove himself.

Top Bottom