Close Protection work at sea?

I don't know of any personal instances, but I am sure it does and will happen (though probably rare) as companies and ship owners get desperate to protect their assets and crews. The standing ISPS courses just simply don't adequately prepare security personnel for high seas piracy and their current modus operandi, hence the evolution of courses specifically for anti-piracy that many companies are starting to offer.

That being said, all of us with land legs take those courses at our own financial risk since companies who actually perform due diligence when hiring will ALWAYS opt for those with tactical maritime backgrounds -whether it be ex-Seals, SBS, and even Navy and Coast Guard. The reason is simple. The open waters is a totally different working environment that presents a whole deluge (pardon the pun) of administrative, logistical and operational considerations that a 5, 7, or even 10 day course will never completely cover.

That isn't to say that the current and tentative courses offered don't have some merit, I am just of the opinion that just like I would prefer to do PSD work with prior-military over a CP guy who took a course, I would also prefer to work with (or hire) someone with a more extensive maritime background than just a week long course under their belt. That is just my personal preference and opinion, and I mean no disrespect to any CP professionals out there.

I am extremely interested in anti-piracy. Have been for the past several years, but I highly doubt that even with my past military and law enforcement experience that I would make an ideal candidate for a maritime security position. Maybe I don't give myself enough credit (or everyone else out there in the same boat -so to speak) but being pragmatic, I know I am a greater asset to the mission focusing where I have the most experience.

But, in any case, I am not trying to be a wet blanket (you gotta love the water analogies). So I wish you the best and encourage anyone else out there with experience to the contrary to please speak up so that you get another take on the issue.

Last edited:
Does anybody know of close protection officers being used at sea in the fight against pirates, to protect a ship while at sea?

Depending entirely on skillsets of course, I´ve met guys doing anti piracy who also do CP work back home and on yachts etc. But what Grynch has said, i´d like to echo.
Without maritime skills it really is not the place to be working. There is just too much to take in, and too much at stake if it goes pearshaped. In anti piracy duties, the crew will often look to the security team for expert advice. That´s what they are paying for after all.
If you don´t have the knowledge and experience to back it up, it´s a bit of a farse. If the sea is calling you, try some work on yachts for a while and see how you get on. Good luck

I do both have been for a while and I am ex army. The courses do help mostly it is common security sense and as you get experiance you learn quickly. I have worked with people with little maritime knowledge and some with years of experiance, which obviosly helps tremendously. Its a nice number and a lot of companys do it at the moment as it is in the forfront of news at the moment. Google companys that do SSO courses and security if you want to do it. Its a good number mate

Make one thing clear.
Anti-piracy, is repelling the Pirates and preventing them from getting onboard.
Counter-piracy is above, and attacking the Pirates.

Counter-piracy can only be done by those who are trained to do shooting, in reality, that is a Military background.

If you want to fight the Pirates, you need a Military background.
Not that many out there doing it.

Long story short, you will only get hired for counter-piracy ops if you have Military background, no course will make this up.

Make one thing clear.
Anti-piracy, is repelling the Pirates and preventing them from getting onboard.
Counter-piracy is above, and attacking the Pirates.

Hang on...In order to prevent the 10 little ni.. (woops Let`s be politically corect) the 10 little Somali citizens armed with AKM`s and RPG`s from getting onboard,you have to empty one or two magazines in their general direction...That is if you want to be taken seriously and to show the you mean bussines.!

How`s that any different than Counter-piracy?? To me the line that defines them is pretty narrow..

Thank you..

Counter-piracy can only be done by those who are trained to do shooting, in reality, that is a Military background.

If you want to fight the Pirates, you need a Military background.
Not that many out there doing it.

Long story short, you will only get hired for counter-piracy ops if you have Military background, no course will make this up.

In general, the " Anti " part can be: full speed, zig-zagging, putting on the search-lights, manning the water-hoses....

" Counter " will be going after for a kill. Purpose is to kill the SOB's.

Like Anti / Counter Terrorism. Anti is more like preventing measures. Counter, you go to take em' out.

This is in general the difference between the two.

Cp operatives in a maritime environment sure! But thats on yacht security
To have bodyguards on vessels to protect the crew I dont think they look for cp requirements, ex navy, ex police martime or even martime security operatives will be /must be the professionell requirement
However there will most probebly be cp trained and experienced guys there but lets hope they are recruited for other experiences then working the circuit in London right?
Hawk

In general, the " Anti " part can be: full speed, zig-zagging, putting on the search-lights, manning the water-hoses....

" Counter " will be going after for a kill. Purpose is to kill the SOB's.

Like Anti / Counter Terrorism. Anti is more like preventing measures. Counter, you go to take em' out.

This is in general the difference between the two.

:D Than I`ll go for the Counter ..Definately better than beeing a sitting duck.

Semantics, the men involved on infantry, recce's ex.army, bats, are all qualified to convert to naval ops? they may be the best "on terra firma" but in the water its a different kettle of fish(pun intended). I know work is work, but really, you either can go to sea or you cant, it doesnt make a difference how good you are, stick to what you are trained for, otherwise you just gonna put other members at risk

I do both have been for a while and I am ex army. The courses do help mostly it is common security sense and as you get experiance you learn quickly. I have worked with people with little maritime knowledge and some with years of experiance, which obviosly helps tremendously. Its a nice number and a lot of companys do it at the moment as it is in the forfront of news at the moment. Google companys that do SSO courses and security if you want to do it. Its a good number mate
The problem is Dodger, that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. People with no maritime experience, ex coppers and soldiers are being placed on ships after doing a brief course. 95% of the time it will be fine. But when the manure hits the fan their lack of experience on ships will be a liability. The companys putting them there are negligent. And sometimes just having done a few trips counts somebody as being "experienced". A person can be a teamleader without having the faintest idea about how radar works or how to work out closest points of approach in his head. A "good number" maybe, but I wouldn´t be encouraging someone to embark on anti piracy duties unprepared.
An SSO course of a few days is not preparation.

on a sso/cso course at this time as it is a requirment qualification as of last year, very intensive and good learning curve,def recomend it

keep expanding the skills

mick

there is not a single course out there that will prepare you for going to see wether anit or counter piracy. just my opinion cps should stick to what they do best and leave the maritime to us guys that have got the experience and the sea time. but like i said just my opinion. Also dont waste your money on sso courses etc they are good on your cv but not when you are in the aden.

there is not a single course out there that will prepare you for going to see wether anit or counter piracy. just my opinion cps should stick to what they do best and leave the maritime to us guys that have got the experience and the sea time. but like i said just my opinion. Also dont waste your money on sso courses etc they are good on your cv but not when you are in the aden.

Fair enough fair enough....

But assuming one would like to learn....to broaden his experience...

Back