CMT 1 qual Via TA route???

jloveday

Longterm Registered User
Hi all

Can an individual joining the TA medic route complete the CMT1 Course? Or do individuals applying have to have extensive experience prior?

The reason i ask is because a recent conversation came up with a potential FPOS I instructor whom informed me that they had their CMT 1 when they conducted their training for TA Med.

Am i being spun a lot of waffle here of is this a genuine statement?

Cheers

Jloveday

AFAIK, and I'm sure there are people on here with much better knowledge than I, it's entirely possible to get your CMT 1 via being a member of the Reserve Forces (which used to be known as the TA ;-)).

RL

You can't get deployed as a medic in the reserves unless you are a medical professional in your day job. It might be easier to get your qualifications through a medic unit rather than another unit where you are a team medic, and it may vary between units. It could take you up to a year to get a place on a CMT3 course and after that there is a compulsory one year wait to get on a CMT2 (no guarantees you'll actually get on a course after a year, there may be more waiting). This is so you can get more experiences and training with your unit, but if there's no higher up medic in your unit you'll probably get nothing other than forgetting what you've already learnt. You can only get to CMT1 if you're getting deployed.

Now its about a year since I was asking about this at a medic unit and 6 months since I checked nothing had changed with my local infantry unit. Things may have changed since then. But bear in mind they are under great pressure to recruit at the moment and I have known a number of people join up on the basis of being told they can do certain jobs only to find out that it isn't the case and they have been lied to in order to get them to join.

Moving between CMT grades isn't all about the courses. In order to go from 3 to 2, you're required to be working as a medic for a year, that is to say, you do your 3 then work a minimum of a year before being considered for your 2. To move from 2 to 1, the same again, so a further year of working as a medic (that's largely clinical, not just shelf stacking).

Why not stick the same question on Arrse. You'd get a definitive answer there. No doubt there'll be someone in manning and records that could give you chapter and verse.

Why not stick the same question on Arrse. You'd get a definitive answer there. No doubt there'll be someone in manning and records that could give you chapter and verse.
You might only get someone in the regular forces though that don't realise how different things are in the reserves. Even in the reserves, I was told by an RLC unit that you could deploy as a medic and then was told by a medic unit, a field hospital and an infantry unit that you could only deploy as a medic if you were a medic in your day job. They will not train you to CMT1 unless you are getting deployed. Also if you're in an non-medic unit you might not get any training or experience from that unit at all, making it hard to get past CMT3. It will vary from unit to unit, if you join a unit that has CMT2+1 personnel they'll be able to give you training and experience, if you're the only medic at CMT3 you can't do anything that the other soldiers can't do, so its hard to progress.

The person may have done his CMT 3(v), CMT 2(v) & CMT 1(v) course (As an Army Reservist) and then done the CMT 1(v) to Regular CMT 1 Course conversion which is usually held in Germany. A friend had to do this route before they would allow him to deploy to Afghan because he doesn't work as a Health Professional.

The person may have done his CMT 3(v), CMT 2(v) & CMT 1(v) course (As an Army Reservist) and then done the CMT 1(v) to Regular CMT 1 Course conversion which is usually held in Germany. A friend had to do this route before they would allow him to deploy to Afghan because he doesn't work as a Health Professional.
How long ago was that? I was told it just wasn't possible at all, it used to be done that way but they had stopped it when I was looking into it.

My previous role (6 months ago) was a CMT 1 Instructor. The TA CMT 1 Course is only a few weeks long and not that in depth! If a TA CMT is due to deploy then they must complete the full regular CMT 1 course alongside the regular CMTS. Also most TA CMT's are usually medical professionals in civvie street, such as Paramedics, Technicians or Nurses, although this isnt the case with them all.

CPParamed,

Thanks for your comment, do you have the following quals?

CTLLS
FPOS I
TAQA Assessor/A1 Assessor

If you do, when you have private message capability on here can you drop me a message please pal

regards

jloveday

Last edited:
I have DTLLS, City and Guilds level 3 Assessing competence in the workplace and Paramedic degree.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Close Protection World mobile app

Thats great. also in Birmingham, PM me when you get enough posts out to be able to PM

Many thanks

jloveday

Could they? Probably. Should they? That's another question.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

If they were a paramedic, nurse or some such thing in civvie street as their regular job outside the reserves then yes. And maybe if not but they'd done a tour or two. Otherwise I'd say no, they're not qualified enough.

RL

Back