Course Advice

rupert

Longterm Registered User
Been looking into a CP course and thinking about one with a firm called PPA International in Denmark. Its 6 weeks and is for security consulting but with the 2 week CP element, first aid and personal weapons etc too.

Have been looking around for courses for nearly a year now and for what I want this seems to be the best on offer. I'd like to learn more than just the CP element but also aspects on law, crissis management etc that are covered on this course.

As these guys are not a UK company I haven't seem much information about them unlike some of the other UK training providers. I did see their advert in Combat & Survival. Does anyone know about their courses or have any experiance of training with them?

Thanks,

Are these guys registered with the SIA?

If you are you interested in the SIA qualification then you should research this aspect before parting with your cash!

CM

Rupert,

Never heard of them mate. Do a reputable CP course,get experience then look at extending your quals.

Just a thought!

I would stick with one of the more established companies to do a CP course (are Phoenix still operating?). After doing the course you should get a steer on firearms training and from there I would do some med training with exMed in Hereford. You should make some contacts during all of this to get a start out in Kabul or Iraq and after that it is all down to your reputation.
Rep is EVERYTHING in this game.

Pheonix are no longer doing cp courses, again you can not give a rating of a course because of the company, pheonix, task, nemesis etc...as tutors from these courses/companies move about, trust me. A few ex pheonix instructors went to nemesis and anubis. My course at Greymans was assessed by the same people who assessed the previous two companies courses and they state that the Greymans Course is the best course they have accreditted, it is not designed for hostile environments but for the European sector. It gives 20 points to a degree at Bucks New University instead of the 15 given on the other 2 courses.

Why do a firearms course if you are not going hotile environment?

Consider doing a surveillance course

Thanks guys. Persnaly I'd like to do a firearms course, in the hope that I could then at least try for work in a hostile environment. Nothing ventured nothing gained!
As for the med or surveillance course, both these are options that I would want to explore in order to expand my knowledge.
Without a military background I understand it will be dificult if not imposible to get any "hostile environment" work, but I would also like to try the F&CO or UN (IFOR).
I'm not a total novise where firearms are concerned. It not the same I apreciate, but I have held both firearms and shotgun certificates for 7 years as well as being an ex Registered Firearms Dealer; so my understanding of firearms, marksmanship principles, safety etc it pretty high.
Been looking at Nemessis and Longmoor at course providers as oposed to IPA.

Thanks guys. Persnaly I'd like to do a firearms course, in the hope that I could then at least try for work in a hostile environment. Nothing ventured nothing gained!
As for the med or surveillance course, both these are options that I would want to explore in order to expand my knowledge.
Without a military background I understand it will be dificult if not imposible to get any "hostile environment" work, but I would also like to try the F&CO or UN (IFOR).
I'm not a total novise where firearms are concerned. It not the same I apreciate, but I have held both firearms and shotgun certificates for 7 years as well as being an ex Registered Firearms Dealer; so my understanding of firearms, marksmanship principles, safety etc it pretty high.
Been looking at Nemessis and Longmoor at course providers as oposed to IPA.

I also have a good level of conversational French and Arabic; and am trying (once I get more time) to up my proficiency in both. As an additional skill would these stand me in good stead?

Your pistol competence is probably higher than that of most military personnel. Back in 2004 I had to take alot of blokes through pistol work when i got to Iraq, admittingly if you have to use a pistol there you are in the shit.

The F&CO office will probably not touch you, and the UN like to employ from Africa and the Middle/Far East. Previous experience and languages are the big thing also with them.

My advise is you will be wasting your money on a firearms course, do a surveillance course or driving course. These will get you work in Europe. You are probably pretty competent on handguns as I have said.

Greymans do surveillance courses in the UK and Firearms Courses in Switzerland.

Good Luck

Your pistol competence is probably higher than that of most military personnel. Back in 2004 I had to take alot of blokes through pistol work when i got to Iraq, admittingly if you have to use a pistol there you are in the shit.

The F&CO office will probably not touch you, and the UN like to employ from Africa and the Middle/Far East. Previous experience and languages are the big thing also with them.

My advise is you will be wasting your money on a firearms course, do a surveillance course or driving course. These will get you work in Europe. You are probably pretty competent on handguns as I have said.

Greymans do surveillance courses in the UK and Firearms Courses in Switzerland.

Good Luck
Thanks a lot.
Who are the companies that employ for contracts in Europe? I know a few who work in the UK and Africa & Far East but no Europe based firms

Once again, thank you for your help and advise.

Greymans, Amicus Mentor, XFOR, CTR, MIG, for a start, there are literally loads of firms. Get on the internet, get on the phone and send a GOOD CV out, network, network, network
Thats great! Thank you & Happy New Year...

www.morrigansoluitions.org are worth contacting. they are all ex sand box operators and rotate their training responsibilities between them so that they can still work on the ground. This provides for up to date and relevant training. It also ensures that they are always in the loop and that helps when it comes to finding work for their grads.

Good luck with your enquiries and the future

Mate, have a look at Longmoor Group. They have a page on their site that looks at Security management, that coupled with a CP course should give you a good head start in the industry

Re Training courses that are non UK.
be very careful if you attend as there is only Ronin SA that are not UK based to my knowledge that are able to offer you the correct certification to allow you to obtain the SIA licence.
talk to Exclusive Security in Denmark who have experience of the course. Exclusive Security
ian

Hi Mate

Yeah rep is everything i this game, research it fully and make sure like the other mentioned the company is SIA approved, or you will have more paperwork and bridging courses to do t get the badge. Its all more monkey making racket!!!

I did the Ronin course in South Africa, so cant fault it, and definately recomend it with the full practising mediacal training and extensive weapoms training too. I hear Task mentioned often too.
As for hostile environment, a PSD course is always an option to push all you buttons and get the drills and training right to go out to hostile environments.

Anyway, good luck

Back