Courses in the UK Reserve units based in NI

IrishRookie

Longterm Registered User
In regards to access to courses, do UK reservists have access to the same courses the regulars do?

More specifically, from what I can see there are only two Reserve units based in NI, the RMP Reserve and Military Intelligence.
Would these two units have access to courses that would be of a similar standard to that of the regulars, would they do much of the same type of work or have the opportunity to train overseas or serve on overseas missions.

I've googled this a fair bit but the info is scant. Any info in this regard would be appreciated, even by PM.

Cheers,

IR

Best advice is to go and talk the the units personally. Although be aware they will tell you exactly what you want to hear in order to get you signed up.
Better off talking to a few of their serving soldiers who will tell you how it is.

Best advice is to go and talk the the units personally. Although be aware they will tell you exactly what you want to hear in order to get you signed up.
Better off talking to a few of their serving soldiers who will tell you how it is.

Cheers for the reply.

I'll call them but was hoping someone on this site might have some direct experience and be able to offer advice but the site seems to be very quiet these days.

I would doudt the weekend warriors would access to the sames as they would need to do the courses through the week yet they are only working at the weekend.

In regards to access to courses, do UK reservists have access to the same courses the regulars do?

More specifically, from what I can see there are only two Reserve units based in NI, the RMP Reserve and Military Intelligence.
Would these two units have access to courses that would be of a similar standard to that of the regulars, would they do much of the same type of work or have the opportunity to train overseas or serve on overseas missions.

I've googled this a fair bit but the info is scant. Any info in this regard would be appreciated, even by PM.

Cheers,

IR
It's a while since I was in the reserves but generally they have access to most of the same courses, but they do them in a more compressed format. ie. Combat Med course was a month of 5 day weeks for regulars and two weeks of 7 day weeks for reserves. But there are only so many slots available, ie. only so many of each course put on and only so many places on the course. So you could wait a long time to get what you want. Also, if you want to get deployed doing a certain job, bear in mind that reserves don't deploy in all the jobs that regulars do, or might only deploy if they have a relevant day job.

However, there may be some courses that reserves don't do because they were starting to clamp down on people doing jobs (hence courses) that they could never get deployed as if they were reserves.

There were certainly more reserve units in NI than that when I was in but they may not advertise exactly what is where. As Alamarahsoldier says they will tell you whatever they want to get you in and keep you in. That course you want to do will always be a few months away even if it is not available at all.

Back