Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Covert camera recommendations

TeddyFox

Full Registered User
Hi all

As above really, I'm conducting an investigation into a work place re thefts and thought I'd get recommendations as to cameras people prefer, etc.

I've thought about using my various law mate cameras within something in an office space but I'm not sure they'll have the battery life I'll need.

Potentially need a PIR or similar, but one that doesn't need to be hard wired in. I expect monitoring will be required for a week or so (in a fairly active area so plenty of footfall during day). does anyone have any recommendations as to what might be capable? I'm thinking perhaps something I can activate remotely as thefts typically occurring overnight?

Thanks

TF

Visioneer

Super Moderator
Hi Teddy,

1) It'll need hardwire for power. There are quite a few that might work for a few days, but a week is pushing it.

2) Timer, so only active during 10pm > 6am or whenever, and Video Motion Detection to trigger on activity. TF / Micro SD recording.

3) Is remote access really necessary ? Typically thefts will be reported next day, and although remote access / notification is a neat trick, unless you're going to provide immediate response, with a SWAT team to nail the miscreant to a wall, probably not required.

V.

TeddyFox

Full Registered User
Hi V

Thanks for the prompt response.

You've confirmed my fears... I thought it might need hard wiring - hmmm, will need to get my thinking cap on re what best to use for that.

You're right re remote access too - it isn't essential, more for my own curiosity /travel!

I'll have a think about a work around.

Cheers
TF

rhea

Longterm Registered User
What kind of area are you looking to cover?

If night time only is it lit?

If you can access an office can you not just plug something in?

Some sort of trigger is good but having continuous record is a lot more dependable.

TeddyFox

Full Registered User
Hi Rhea

Yeah, it is an office but normally very clinical with very little laying around.

TeddyFox

Full Registered User
Sorry, my message appears to have been cut short.

Yes, night time but automatic lighting throughout the building.

Kind regards

TF

PADDYOS

Longterm Registered User
How about building something into say a computer monitor, or something that looks natural in it surroundings then having a wireless transmitter to an area close by that nobody can get too with a dvr and receiver. For instance I did a job once where the person was stealing from an office. Set up a few wireless cameras then had them transmitting to a dvr that was hidden in the false ceiling. The dvr ran for 2 weeks and was powered by the miains cables running through the false ceiling. I even had a camera on plastercine/ playdough in a box file where you put your finger in to pull it off the shelf.....

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
Sorry, my message appears to have been cut short.

Yes, night time but automatic lighting throughout the building.

Kind regards

TF
Run it off the automatic lighting then. Trigger and power sorted! I'm guessing you have a suspended ceiling with the lights in so you just need a little hole for the lens.

premier

Longterm Registered User
Teddy,

If it is inside a particular office use a monitor with integrated webcam position the monitor to show the door and utilise a video card, as V pointed out you will know within 16 hours Monday to Thursday or 48 hours Friday - Monday and that's without the use of a trigger, which I'd suggest using a wireless door contact and a relay board.

Regards

premier

TeddyFox

Full Registered User
Thanks for the responses all.

I knew there was a reason I stick to the background work

Can anyone recommend any particular cameras / set up?

Kind regards

Eddie

Top Bottom