Criminal charges for hidden cameras.

Oddjob

Unauthorised Covert cameras have been found in one of our family residences.
We know who planted them and are looking for more as we speak.
What criminal charges can be brought against them.
They have stupidly incriminated themselves already by showing pictures of the staff being a bit lazy in a room that has no cameras in the first place (except the unauthorised pinhole camera.
The man who maintains and installed the family/business CCTV system is the culprit. (Installed before we came on the scene)
P.S. If he is reading this; he's fcuked anyway. Because he has shown out , trying to be clever and is now denied all access.
But I would like to know what this plick can be charged with.?

Visioneer

Super Moderator
Any successful criminal prosecution could be problematic. Even if convicted any penalty could be derisory, and with the distinct possibility that your principals privacy could be compromised even further with the endless speculation in the tabloid press.

On the other hand, a successful civil prosecution with the associated damages would probably bankrupt the guy and with the aid of various injunctions, minimise media activity.

And a discreet leak as to the twats identity should severely compromise their chances of working with any major company again.

V

...option 'B' might be to bury him in an anonymous hole next time he leaves the country....

Oddjob

We understand the implications of a protracted prosecution. But the sense of rage needs to be tempered into a sword of justice so to speak. So the list of charges re criminality needs to be discussed.
Civil prosecution would be a secondary option. But the extent of the criminality of these actions is the case in point initially.
Any ideas ?
As regards holes in anonymous places. Well I'm sure shovels are being purchased as we speak as an avenue C option

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Send him on a 'job' to Dublin, we have a fantastic justice system, swift and to the point

biggimpy

Full Registered User
Hi OJ, subject to where the cameras have been placed and what they have recorded he could be charged with voyeurism and if any children involved then it's a whole other ball game (hole in ground and copper injection to ear) it would be wise to search for a remote transmitter and or live feed equipment.

Ps don't forget gloves before touching and bagging.

Happy hunting.
Regards
J.

Last edited:

Azarias

Longterm Registered User
Unauthorised Covert cameras have been found in one of our family residences.
We know who planted them and are looking for more as we speak.
What criminal charges can be brought against them.
They have stupidly incriminated themselves already by showing pictures of the staff being a bit lazy in a room that has no cameras in the first place (except the unauthorised pinhole camera.
The man who maintains and installed the family/business CCTV system is the culprit. (Installed before we came on the scene)
P.S. If he is reading this; he's fcuked anyway. Because he has shown out , trying to be clever and is now denied all access.
But I would like to know what this plick can be charged with.?

Under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act 1988 an individual has the right to respect for his private and family life, and of his home. Never mind a stranger, Your own family could have you prosecuted for watching them on hidden cameras.

If there are children being recorded report it to child care services, once their off the leash there will be no stopping them.

Laughable as it may seem they would probably get the heaviest penalties for not processing the data correctly.

The Information Commissioner’s Office (‘the ICO’) enforces all breaches of the DPA. The ICO can impose sanctions (including criminal sanctions) against companies found to be in breach. The ICO now has the power to fine organisations up to £500,000 for a serious breach of the DPA.

* Decision to make secret recording need to comply with the test under Section 8.1
* keeping logs of what was recorded,
* how the recordings were processed
* who had access to the recorded data,
* the audit trail or lack of it,
* the publishing of data.(how did they show the staff pictures?)

Prosecution of the company has the potential to destroy its reputation and have it struck from any professional associations/registers

On the down side any prosecution would also involve your principle and family. If the engineer/company has done it here how many other systems are they running.

Discuss with your client and bring in the Police.

premier

Longterm Registered User
OJ,

For me I'd gather all the info...

Which you are/have already done

I'd log the incident with ICO/ local police,

Which you will no doubt discuss with the boss,

Then I'd leave my phone with the wife and go pay him a visit, and immediately speak to my brief.

Regards

premier

shinobisecurity

Full Registered User
I am not sure what the laws are like in the U.K. on these matters however its pretty serious in the U.S. Could be a misdemeanor or felony depending upon circumstances.

colonel45155

Longterm Registered User
I am not sure what the laws are like in the U.K. on these matters however its pretty serious in the U.S. Could be a misdemeanor or felony depending upon circumstances.

I love American law, the right thing varies from state to state. I'd make a fortune over there...

How did it turn out Oddjob? From memory you have good legal representation.

Last edited:

JasonHale

Full Registered User

That is true, but it is most often the case that it will result in a felony, regardless of some of the circumstances. From my understanding it doesn't seem like any of the people who were being recorded were notified and asked for consent in this scenario. That alone has the potential to move this act up from a misdemeanor to a felony. Not to mention, if there were children involved, the ramifications can be quite serious. I am very interested in hearing how this concluded

Visioneer

Super Moderator
I'd think the perp on this one would be rather more concerned about having his bodily parts spread around a few continents rather than what he might get from the CPS.

V :)

sekura

Full Registered User
Entirely depends on whether or not he had permission from occupier or owner assuming it was unoccupied. This is largely a civil matter, even if it involves children like previously mentioned.

It's not illegal to photograph or film children, unless it's indecent, which is an entirely different board game! Even then, it depends entirely on the situation as to what could happen.

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
The clue is in the OP, "unauthorised" generally alludes to 'without permission'.....or at least it used to?

JasonHale

Full Registered User
You're right, it was that turn of phrase that made me think the footage was gathered without permission. I'm surprised that its not somewhat illegal or frowned upon to photograph or film children without their consent or a qualifying legal guardian. Something about that doesn't sit well with me, but as you said, if there is nothing indecent going on its mostly alright and remains in the realm of other civil matters.

More than likely looking at a stalking offence, unless the images captured private moments that were gained for sexual gratification, then as already stated Voyeurism is an option