Eng1

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
not quite security based, but still you guys would know it best..!!

Anyone got much details on ENG1
(maritime & coastguard agency (mca) medical fitness certificate)

What it invovles, how fit do you have to be

etc etc

cheers for any info :)

Last edited:
Hi the ENG 1 is a medical, that is valid for two years. The doc will take a urine sample, a eye test, hearing test, and a blood pressure test. The whole thing takes about an hour. Then you hand over about eighty quid. Job done.
If you go to the MCA website and type ENG1 in the search bar it will give you the nearest doc to you.

As long as you pay your money (cash only) the Dr couldn't care less.
Disagree with that, there are numerous posts on here from people who had problems with the medical. I have known people refused an ENG 1 for high BMI, poor eye sight and I had to go back a few days after my last one and retake the urine test as I had forgotten to stop drinking the beetroot juice and few days before.

What you up to Pyrene as there is another medical, ML5, which lasts 5 years if you are not going to far out to sea? Although on second thoughts...............................:):)

Obviously my Dr was a one off then.
He was a lot more interested in getting £80 cash off me than anything else and the med test seemed a bit of a joke
especially as I weigh 25stone and am missing a leg, an arm and an eye.

what im contemplating is joining the royal auxillary, and not been overly fit, i just want to know if i can get in....

If they're not making financial cut-backs and the competition isn't too fierce I can't see why not.
Have you spoke to the RFA recruiting people about making an application to join and what procedures you have to go through?

Well only really thought about it properly yesturday.... saw there was ENG1 so before I wasted some geezers time in a recruitment officer, get you guys talking about something :)

Back