Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ever had security guards follow you round a supermarket or other store?

Leo

Full Registered User
This happens to me a lot, though I've never shop-lifted in my life. Maybe I just look dodgy??? I'd be interested to know if there are many people for whom it has never happened.

Incidentally it's pretty funny when it happens, it's like a game of peek-a-boo as they appear from round the aisle.

gibbonboy

Very similar experiences.Same as when I got to a nightclub I am always the one picked out of the group to be searched.Always.i don't think I've ever been to a nightclub without getting searched now that I think about it.When ever I go to Woolworths I get followed,but only there!?!!Maybe I look like I am a Pick'N'Mix-aholic that is about to get his fix?!!

Marian

Longterm Registered User
I've been in-store security and I've been a doorman and I tell you what, or there is a reason or...
they are just bored :D

Jet

Full Registered User
Being 6"3 I stand out from the crowd. However I'm never followed by security guards. Countless employees though. I handle a item then stick my hands in my pocket to tick them off :)

ptg

Full Registered User
My normal attire when I'm not working is ripped jeans and scruffy T-shirts, maybe with a shirt on over the top if it's a bit parky. I tend to get the old "salesman-swoop" whenever I walk in to a showroom or store... walk up to the most expensive PC and look at it, and you can see one getting ready on the panic button and one nervously approaching to ask if you need any help.

The worst experience of this ever was Watches of Switzerland - I had the cash in my pocket to buy a tag watch, and three times the salesman told me that the citizen (some £950 cheaper) was "more to sir's tastes", and you could see his colleague watching through the slatted mirrors - again, no doubt with a finger on the button.

echoalfa1

Longterm Registered User
I aways get followed in tesco's, I few years ago, me and a mate were on a store det's coarse, in Bristol, we had finished for the day, and did a bit of beer hunting in Tesco's, we were followed for and hour, mind you we did look like a pair of tree huggers, and we did have a good laugh.:D

Another time I was on a surveillance gig for Euro 96 at Wembley, me and my mate was stop and search by the police nine times, the look on they faces when we were patted down, and they found our covert radios/video camera, they did us proud, our cover was never blown.

Last edited:
S

sutty

Im always followed.
I dont know why.After a nasty accident with a shopping basket and a vicar I refuse to use them.I prefer to use my pockets to carry my goods.

Krav

A real team player - a forum regular!
Hehehe this reminds of a time when I still visited techno clubs with my friends (for the nice looking women).
I was picked aside by a security guard who was thinking that I was dealing drugs while all I was doing was eating mints from a tin box (I despise drugs). I have never seen a security guard that much pissed of for not finding anything at all.

annie

Full Registered User
I always get followed, now either i look dodgy as hell, which personally i don't think i do. I have a great ass, theyre bored or maybe due to the nature of work we are simply more aware that we are being watched, and due to that very fact we quite possibly appear to act a little differently to joe average shopper so as maybe not to stand out. I don't know why really, i do know i must look the most guilty on the planet obviously.

And i can sympathise with the way you get looked at in shops for the way that you dress. I hate going into the higher class of shop as i do stand out like a sore thumb in jeans and sweatshirts and brasher walking boots. Do know of a guy who got drunk, slept in a ditch woke up and went into a car showroom and ordered a very expensive car whilst looking very much the worse for wear, when he went to collect the car it wasn't ready as they hadn't taken him seriously. The chap in general is an extremly wealthy guy and could afford ten such cars and not even blink about it...... Personally i'd have taken my business elsewhere. Comes down to the fact people are obsessed with appearances, and they seem to think those with the cash wander the streets attired in Gucci and Armani everyday of the week.

hippy

My problem is, out of professional interest, I have a good look at their tagging system, their cctv etc etc... This seems to instigate some interest from the security chaps...

annie

Full Registered User
Oh i can't help but take a look at the security when i walk in to a store, at the minute i am most pissed about the fact the security in the local Morrisons store NEVER have their licences on display as i am led to believe they should and i do have to stop myself telling them that

hippy

Are they 'in-house' security annie? If so, they won't, currently, even need a licence!

annie

Full Registered User
G4 i think or something along those lines. Personally up here i'd go for commandos or special forces the amount of junkies and smack heads that live around here

hippy

G4 i think or something along those lines. Personally up here i'd go for commandos or special forces the amount of junkies and smack heads that live around here
Sounds delightfull!!!
I honestly don't think I pay my staff enough and I pay well over the industry norm! In fact I think I should pay my retail lads and lasses more than my cp types!
And G4 should certainly be displaying their badge!!! Naughty people!

annie

Full Registered User
marvellous stuff i did think that was the case i know Mr R is sick of my rants about him not having his badge on display when we go shopping, maybe i should grass him up. Nice uniforms mind in the scheme of things

PSD-PROTECTION

Full Registered User
i like it, while they watch me do nothing, they lose stock elsewhere, the baddies will return for more easy pickings and leave the stores i cover untouched. wrong ??? makes me feel good !!

Scab

Longterm Registered User
I aways get followed in tesco's, I few years ago, me and a mate were on a store det's coarse, in Bristol, we had finished for the day, and did a bit of beer hunting in Tesco's, we were followed for and hour, mind you we did look like a pair of tree huggers, and we did have a good laugh.:D
If you were hanging around a Tesco's for an hour without a trolley full of food I'm not surprised!

RomeoAlpha

Longterm Registered User
Store Security always keep close tabs on me, maybe its because i spot situations before they develop and just hang around seeing how long it takes them to react. Plus i do find myself looking at the CCTV system, which I'm trying to stop doing. Maybe being over 6 ' 4, "theres some strange lanky bloke upto no good probably" I really dunno, plus the G4S guys I see around are NEVER wearing their passes!

annie

Full Registered User
I am sure it is the fact that we in the industry do take more notice even when we don't mean to, that's why we get followed. And your right i was in morrisons yesterday and G4s guy didn't have his badge on display....yet again!

Top Bottom