Ex Foreign Legion, to train in France or UK?

Haganah2008

Full Registered User
Hi There,

I have been monitoring this CP website since quite a while and it is very informative, so therefore thank you all.

I just would like to get advise please. From what I heard, it is already a very tough and overcrowded market, (CPOs included). Some of my friends are ex-british forces with afghanistan and CP SIA licence under there belt, yet no employment. To me it is obvious that as a foreigner in this country with a foreign military background it must be even harder if not "impossible" to get a placement somewhere in the industry. I therefore renounced CP before I even started. To the point:

My perception is that most of the british companies seem to prefer ex-british soldiers and that is more than fair, of course! ;)
But that decreases my employment opportunities should I successfully pass all courses. If thats the case, "c'est la vie"...

Therefore would it be better for me to qualify with a french training provider recruiting mainly ex-foreign legion personnel?
My friend did just that and landed himself a 2 month contract in Djibouti. Although he will work for a british company as the only french-translater on board. (It was SIMAR Company who hooked him up by the way).

Or are my chances equally "good" with a british training provider and my perceptions are wrong?

Finally, how important are references and do they need to be from someone from within the industry?
Thanks for your time.

Hi Haganah2008,
be welcome on the forum, but, just a question, in which Regiment of the FFL do you served?

Cheers

MAY

Hi There,

I have been monitoring this CP website since quite a while and it is very informative, so therefore thank you all.

I just would like to get advise please. From what I heard, it is already a very tough and overcrowded market, (CPOs included). Some of my friends are ex-british forces with afghanistan and CP SIA licence under there belt, yet no employment. To me it is obvious that as a foreigner in this country with a foreign military background it must be even harder if not "impossible" to get a placement somewhere in the industry. I therefore renounced CP before I even started. To the point:

My perception is that most of the british companies seem to prefer ex-british soldiers and that is more than fair, of course! ;)
But that decreases my employment opportunities should I successfully pass all courses. If thats the case, "c'est la vie"...

Therefore would it be better for me to qualify with a french training provider recruiting mainly ex-foreign legion personnel?
My friend did just that and landed himself a 2 month contract in Djibouti. Although he will work for a british company as the only french-translater on board. (It was SIMAR Company who hooked him up by the way).

Or are my chances equally "good" with a british training provider and my perceptions are wrong?

Finally, how important are references and do they need to be from someone from within the industry?
Thanks for your time.

Whatever you do, stay away from Catherine Yelma. She will promise you the earth and deliver nothing.

Hi There,

Thanks for your time.

Hi mate,
If you need some infos, pm me.

Cheers

MAY

Hi,

I was in the 2REG 3 Coy, I know,.... it is not the 2REP, still my friend who "got the job" served in the same unit. Although he said 2REP is preferred. Thank you

Hi SCT,

Thank you for the warning. I assume that this person works for a french training provider? In any case thanks.

Provider is WCM. She is also known as Cat or Kate and she targets ex legionnaires

WCM do not provide any training of their own, they use third party companies - usually only once :)

Hi,

I was in the 2REG 3 Coy, I know,.... it is not the 2REP, still my friend who "got the job" served in the same unit. Although he said 2REP is preferred. Thank you

Hi comrade,
I served during 6 years within the 2ndREG, 2nd Coy.
I have to say, I love this Regiment, mountaineering, etc., it was an fantastic experience, I think.

Triskel is another French company using ex FFL guys and please do not write G4S as they have a lot ex FFL guys on their books, as for weapons proficiency please use Euro Tactical as I have done their course in France, their certificate is for 2 yrs and you will train with full bore ammo, not forgetting its in France too albeit British instructors (who else ha ha).

Just for information, I've just finished the PCASP course with Kargus Sea Interconnection.

Found it informative and serious but obviously expensive being in France. A lot of attention around fishing vessels, in light of the french law that should be passed in the future. It gives the basics needed, but there was not a lot on firearms so I'm looking maybe to do the Eurotactical course once I get started working. There are always ex-legionnaires floating around, I met one in the affaires maritimes who I knew in the REP and who has found a transit.

My two cents: if you have the money it's not a bad course. If you speak english, maybe look at Triskell as well.

Just for information, I've just finished the PCASP course with Kargus Sea Interconnection.

Found it informative and serious but obviously expensive being in France. A lot of attention around fishing vessels, in light of the french law that should be passed in the future. It gives the basics needed, but there was not a lot on firearms so I'm looking maybe to do the Eurotactical course once I get started working. There are always ex-legionnaires floating around, I met one in the affaires maritimes who I knew in the REP and who has found a transit.

My two cents: if you have the money it's not a bad course. If you speak english, maybe look at Triskell as well.

Hi nazxul,
concerning the maritime firearms training, well, in my opinion Euro-tactical is the better choice, I did a cours with them in 2012, was an excellent cours and it's not expensive, I think, we used 20 different firearms during 4 days, accomodition was included in the price, give a look on their web-site and drop them a line about few infos, you don't will be disappointed.

Back